Not Litrell's Fault But This Has To End.

Remember that badass linebacker from Lake Dallas, Josiah Tauaefa who wanted to play for us but McCarney didn't want him? 

"Lake Dallas-ex Tauaefa Named UTSA Starter At Middle Linebacker"

http://drchighschoolblog.dentonrc.com/2016/05/lake-dallas-ex-tauaefa-named-utsa-starter-at-mlb.html/?_ga=1.15459446.158312934.1463403893

Yeah,...we couldn't have used any of that depth at middle linebacker right about now, right?

And just to remind, below is a screenshot of his brother Isaac's tweet last year mocking North Texas for its lack of interest in local talent. 

http://m.imgur.com/6Nr0S3X

And recently we learned of two young local softball talents who helped La Tech blow us away.  

Again,...this is non of Litrell's fault but it shows the uphill climb against our reputation he has in front of him. 

And our AD needs to let it be known...Coaches who continue to get their asses handed to them in recruiting will be shown the door.

This hores$&@t of letting good local talent go elsewhere has to end or we'll never dig out of the hole we're in.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 8

19 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Even if we're doing good, people are always going to point to players doing well elsewhere who we should've recruited. All that matters is that we're getting good players ourselves, and I don't care who we should've gotten.

I do,...because It points directly at how an absolute cluster intercourse our recruiting has been, including our camps and how they were run.  And even worse, it points to the terrible damage to our reputation we have on high school campuses that SL has to mend.

I suppose if we start winning it'll all be water under the bridge.  Till then it'll be out there.

Rick

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 7

I was on this board for at least 2 years bitching about how bad of a recruiter Mccarney was leading up to his firing. He was awful and it pisses me off just thinking that the man who put him in place is STILL here. It truly is a pitiful state over in that AD. A cluster effing joke to be 100% honest. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 8

13 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

I was on this board for at least 2 years bitching about how bad of a recruiter Mccarney was leading up to his firing. He was awful and it pisses me off just thinking that the man who put him in place is STILL here. It truly is a pitiful state over in that AD. A cluster effing joke to be 100% honest. 

It really does make no sense. I just do not see how what RV had done well can ever over shadow the bad. Other places some one could be doing a great job for a decade and make a hire like Mac and he would be out! Those places have different expectations thought... Which is the route of the problem. I just feel bad for the players to be forced to deal with that ding dong Mac.

11 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

All About how did you get your imgur image to display?  I haven't been able to get one to post in a while now?

Rick

I just post the direct link in the comment box and it works for me.

giphy.gif

Also, you can right click, copy and paste the link location.

Edited by North Texas Shep

Mac couldn't recruit the Denton area or anywhere else.   However, it is really very easy to point out local players who were not recruited that are doing well.  There is also a bigger lot of kids not recruited that will never be a factor anywhere.  

Is the bother mad at UT or OU because they didn't recruit his brother also?   No it is NT who many deem should be happy to get interest from anyone.  

Every team has hits and misses in recruiting, even the giants of the collegian football world.  I certainly think NT should review any player that is interested in NT, but there is a resource issue.  At some point, most identified prospects are going to be dropped to concentrate on higher regarded players depending on who may be available.   Some of the dropped players will turn out to be better than players signed, but hopefully that number is small.    

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Is the bother mad at UT or OU because they didn't recruit his brother also?    

very team has hits and misses in recruiting, even the giants of the collegian football world.  I certainly think NT should review any player that is interested in NT, but there is a resource issue.  At some point, most identified prospects are going to be dropped to concentrate on higher regarded players depending on who may be available.   Some of the dropped players will turn out to be better than players signed, but hopefully that number is small

I doubt it......but then again UT and OU's campuses aren't minutes away from Lake Dallas.  

As I recall Joseph had won an area defensive POY award.  He was getting interest by other G5's, just not by the one down the street and it pissed Isaac off because the family wanted at least one kid of the three to play close so they could watch him play. 

And yeah..no sh$t captain obvious, all programs are gonna miss on players. But we're worse than all other programs, we're the Eastern Michigans and Kent States and there's a reason for it and it's a bad reason.

One of the worst examples I recall...

A while back in 2012 during a report about some event that all the coaches and community leaders were in attendance at..(charity golf tournament maybe..something I can't remember now?)...it was admitted in the article in the DRC that Mac was just then that day meeting for the first time two of the three Denton HS coaches.  He was in his second year.  

Find me an example of any other FBS coach who took 18-24 months to meet the head coach of the local HS, especially HS's with state championships under their belts? 

Hell, find me someone who has ever even heard of it happening anywhere else?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

8 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

I doubt it......but then again UT and OU's campuses aren't minutes away from Lake Dallas.  

As I recall Joseph had won an area defensive POY award.  He was getting interest by other G5's, just not by the one down the street and it pissed Isaac off because the family wanted at least one kid of the three to play close so they could watch him play. 

And yeah..no sh$t captain obvious, all programs are gonna miss on players. But we're worse than all other programs, we're the Eastern Michigans and Kent States and there's a reason for it and it's a bad reason.

A while back in 2012 during a report about some event that all the coaches and community leaders were in attendance at..(charity golf tournament maybe..something I can't remember now?)...it was admitted in the article in the DRC that Mac was just then that day meeting for the first time two of the three Denton HS coaches.  He was in his second year.  

Find me an example of any other FBS coach who took 18-24 months to meet the head coach of the local HS, especially HS's with state championships under their belts? 

Rick

Captain obvious here, not sure why you are citing multiple recruiting sins of the prior staff when nobody is defending them.   It should be fairly obvious when I stated "Mac couldn't recruit the Denton area or anywhere else".

Being even more obvious, I doubt many coaching staffs put what a family wants above their own recruiting analysis ( no matter how flawed).  

Basically you are using the same rationale that I was referring to, I guess this was not so obvious.  Old NT should be happy to get interest from any recruit and particularly a local one.  

I was making a general comment, and not referring so much to Josiah Tauaefa.  However, maybe UTSA should be given credit for signing a relatively lightly recruited small defensive lineman and seeing a future linebacker.   

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

8 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Rick

I wonder if we could survey the DFW high football coaches to see who had visits from UNT the past couple of years.

I personally sent Josiah's film to UNT coaches.  The kid played D-line and Linebacker in school.  They had him playing Mike so he could make plays all over the field.  Watched a couple of his games.  He has a nose for the football and that Man locks flopping out of his helmet made him look terrifying right before he ripped your head off.  I sat with him last year at the UTSA game.  He easily gained 30lbs his freshmen year and looks ever bit the part of a nasty linebacker.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, NTAlum09 said:

I wonder if we could survey the DFW high football coaches to see who had visits from UNT the past couple of years.

Do we really want to dredge that up?   Is that worth anyone's time?

Time to move forward folks.   Anything that happened during McCarney's time is water under the bridge now.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

16 hours ago, foutsrouts said:

At around six feet he was probably too short for Dan "Stretch" McCarney. We need to look for local area talent first as we did in the olden days.

I will have to disagree with this assessment since Dan signed Akunne, Scott, Finney, Garner, and Montgomery that all were on the downward side of 6'.

3 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I will have to disagree with this assessment since Dan signed Akunne, Scott, Finney, Garner, and Montgomery that all were on the downward side of 6'.

Yeah the only position McCarney had a height requirement for was QB. For him 6'+ meant All-Pro, regardless of ability. Although ironically enough the best QB he ever coached(Seneca Wallace) was 5'11"

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MEANGREENCOACH2 said:

I personally sent Josiah's film to UNT coaches.  The kid played D-line and Linebacker in school.  They had him playing Mike so he could make plays all over the field.  Watched a couple of his games.  He has a nose for the football and that Man locks flopping out of his helmet made him look terrifying right before he ripped your head off.  I sat with him last year at the UTSA game.  He easily gained 30lbs his freshmen year and looks ever bit the part of a nasty linebacker.

I figured so.  Some kids just have it.  Like an outfielder who plays baseball and knows which way to take his first step from the way the batter swings the bat.  They always are there to make a play on the ball.  Some LB's are just always in on the tackle despite lacking in physical traits.  Chris Hurd walked on then walked away with the Sunbelt Conference Defensive POY like that.

Litrrell hopefully rights this wrong and the other coaches follow.  I'm sick of seeing players from here starring at ULL, La Tech, ULM, UTSA etc.

It shouldn't happen.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

He was red-shirted last year i know reading is tough! @MeanGreenMailbox

4 hours ago, MEANGREENCOACH2 said:

Unless you believe I was on the bench for that game.

I'm telling you right now he is better than any LB that we have on the roster right now.  He is going to get up close and personal with Jeffrey Wilson this year!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I don't care where you sat, personally.  I'm just saying, if his offers were from the likes of us and UTSA, what's the difference?  He hasn't done a damn thing yet on the field, so I don't understand the upheaval.

There are a sh*t ton of kids who aren't heavily recruited, year in and year out.  So, what's the big deal?  The kid's brother goes off on twitter over a game between UTEP and UNT, and that's supposed to trigger some kind of remorse out of us? 

I mean, what kind of pitiful life must he be leading to take time out for that?  He's rehashing his older brother's recruiting woes through the one game misfortunes of the UTEP's, UTSA's, and UNT's of the college football world?  Wow. 

Recruiting trash talk among UTEP, UTSA, and UNT?  Does it get any more pathetic than that in the big picture of FBS football?   If that's what gets little brother hopped up, I'd drug test him immediately for the presence of meth, bro.

Seriously, step back and gain some perspective.   

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 5

It was more out of frustration that he wasnt even looked at by a school less that 10 minutes up the road.  Everyone of his brothers played college ball they are as big as houses.  Josiah is a respectful young man and we surely missed out.

Now we will see how he pans out first hand experience.  Time will tell

• Upvote 3

Here I'll say more:

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/8145
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/206829/josiah-tauaefa

Doesn't look like anyone else wanted him either.  So what?  We've already got a roster of kids with only one FBS offer.  So, because we didn't add one more because he was local, you and his little brother are miffed?

Give it a rest.  If he turns out to be a good player, that's one thing.  But, kids with no or few offers to FBS schools are a dime a dozen. 

2 minutes ago, MEANGREENCOACH2 said:

It was more out of frustration that he wasnt even looked at by a school less that 10 minutes up the road.  Everyone of his brothers played college ball they are as big as houses.  Josiah is a respectful young man and we surely missed out.

Now we will see how he pans out first hand experience.  Time will tell

Well, from the looks of it, our analysis of him was no different than 126 other FBS schools.  Kudos to UTSA...who waited until the week before signing day to offer?  I mean they beat everyone from Alabama all the way down to Eastern Michigan for this kid, then.  And, they did so at the wire.

Please. Congratulations to him for UTSA taking a flyer on him when no one else would.  But, man...ease up.  I'm sure every high school football coach in the country has stories about kids who played hard, were nice, etc. not getting scholarship offers from FBS schools, near or far from home.

UTSA recruiting trash talk.  For a kid with no other offers.  Wow.  This how bad it is for us.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4