UNT potentially partnering with Dallas Cowboys

UNT90

1 minute ago, Quoner said:

That seems generally logical, but here's a counterpoint you may not have considered while typing your response:

Handsome Hattiesburg Hustler hustlin' humongous hangin' huckleberries however hideously he harvests hence.

Because there's really no response for this tried & true, airtight, ironclad argument, I'm reporting this post to the mods as a hijack.

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Problem is, we don't have enough private funds to do *everything* we need to do.

*fire everyone*

As far as this sponsorship, it's a great opportunity for the university (and this is not an athletics thing, it's a general university thing).

Now how about we send some interns to the Athletic Department?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Army of Dad said:

Because accounting scandals keep you from having baseball? That's one line that's been trotted out...

Why is it so hard to grasp the accounting problem that was written about in multiple newspapers, on TV and on the radio actually happened? It did happen, really, it did. And until it was settled, announcing new, optional programs like baseball were politically impossible. It's basic math and Texas politics that are being "trotted out."

The money for athletic and for University promotions comes from two different sources with two different rules for their uses. It is not some vast right wing conspiracy to protect anyone's job, those rules were in place long before RV started working for NT. 

If the university can work out a deal with the Cowboys and get tied into the $5 billion mile being built in Frisco, this is a very positive move for the school. It has nothing what so ever to do with firing anyone in the athletic department. 

Obsessive hatred is not healthy. Nor is it rational. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

3 hours ago, Army of Dad said:

I know you have an unhealthy dislike for 90, but I thought he was pretty clear in that post that he was talking about the money it would have taken to dump Benford and RV.

Dislike is a waste of time. You must of been a psych major! SHOW me the $$$$$$$$$

24 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Dislike is a waste of time. You must of been a psych major! SHOW me the $$$$$$$$$

Uh, no. Just pointing out that you appeared to be guilty of doing the same thing you and others have accused 90 of doing in coloring your response without responding to the content of the post. 

In this case, I felt he was pretty clear.

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

So, let me get this straight, you (UNT90) start a thread, hijack your own thread and turn it towards your hatred of all things RV/UNT Athletics.  Interesting.  Sad, but interesting.

Regarding the sponsorship and original topic of this thread, this is a great deal that will bring more exposure to UNT.  Some of you act like we should just stop these efforts because we've been around since 1890, but then you would bitch and moan if this sponsorship went to another university claiming our administration was just sitting on their hands.  SMH.  This is a great deal and will attract a number of students to these majors that will have the opportunity to work/intern the Cowboys.  UH has a similar arrangement with Hilton hotels and it is a major attraction for their hospitality management program.

I think the possibilities are exciting.  We all know Jerrah likes to be associated with a winner.  Could he become our Boone Pickens?   You never know, but I bet gets involved to some degree.  Great job UNT and to the staff member that initiated this idea.

Is it a hijack when it is your own thread? Harry define!

9 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

So, let me get this straight, you (UNT90) start a thread, hijack your own thread and turn it towards your hatred of all things RV/UNT Athletics.  Interesting.  Sad, but interesting.

Regarding the sponsorship and original topic of this thread, this is a great deal that will bring more exposure to UNT.  Some of you act like we should just stop these efforts because we've been around since 1890, but then you would bitch and moan if this sponsorship went to another university claiming our administration was just sitting on their hands.  SMH.  This is a great deal and will attract a number of students to these majors that will have the opportunity to work/intern the Cowboys.  UH has a similar arrangement with Hilton hotels and it is a major attraction for their hospitality management program.

I think the possibilities are exciting.  We all know Jerrah likes to be associated with a winner.  Could he become our Boone Pickens?   You never know, but I bet gets involved to some degree.  Great job UNT and to the staff member that initiated this idea.

Nope, it was started as a shot, but a mod changed the title to make to more positive toward UNT. 

And the title violated no forum rule.

You call it a great deal without knowing one specific of the deal. Shocked, I tell ya.

UNT isn't poor. UNT can afford to pay off the Hattiesburg Hustler's and Benford's contracts. They simply choose not to. This was what the original title of this thread referenced before it was hijacked by a moderator.

But I'm sure you are ok with this Hijack.

8 hours ago, VideoEagle said:

Why is it so hard to grasp the accounting problem that was written about in multiple newspapers, on TV and on the radio actually happened? It did happen, really, it did. And until it was settled, announcing new, optional programs like baseball were politically impossible. It's basic math and Texas politics that are being "trotted out."

The money for athletic and for University promotions comes from two different sources with two different rules for their uses. It is not some vast right wing conspiracy to protect anyone's job, those rules were in place long before RV started working for NT. 

If the university can work out a deal with the Cowboys and get tied into the $5 billion mile being built in Frisco, this is a very positive move for the school. It has nothing what so ever to do with firing anyone in the athletic department. 

Obsessive hatred is not healthy. Nor is it rational. 

You can't have your cake and eat it too. Athletics is underfunded because they can't afford a $750 bailout of 2 spares who have easily cost them 5 times that amount in the last 5 years. They have the money to invest in a professional football franchise, but not the money to invest in their own athletics program?

Like you said: Choices. And UNT will choose anything else over athletics EVERY time. 

7 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

Is it a hijack when it is your own thread? Harry define!

Harry hijacked the thread by changing the title.

Harry the Hijacker. ?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 9

2 hours ago, UNT90 said:

They have the money to invest in a professional football franchise, but not the money to invest in their own athletics program?

There is no "they." The University public relations and promotions and/or the Frisco campus and/or the programs that working adults in Frisco are likely to want have money to buy advertising through a professional football franchise. Buying advertising is not investing anymore than buy a bucket of chicken means you are investing in KFC. The athletic department does not have as much uncommitted cash as the departments that are doing the advertising. 

Two completely different departments, two completely different budgets with money from two completely different sources. There is no choice of one over the other as the money from one cannot be used for the other. 

Every action at the University of North Texas is not part of a vast conspiracy to support a single individual. It's not a difficult concept. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

I don't know if I like this or not. It could be good. I know our athletics could certainly benefit from being associated with a historically successful NFL organization. Until we know the actual price tag and how long the deal is for, we just can't say if it is a good deal or not.

9 hours ago, VideoEagle said:

There is no "they." The University public relations and promotions and/or the Frisco campus and/or the programs that working adults in Frisco are likely to want have money to buy advertising through a professional football franchise. Buying advertising is not investing anymore than buy a bucket of chicken means you are investing in KFC. The athletic department does not have as much uncommitted cash as the departments that are doing the advertising. 

Two completely different departments, two completely different budgets with money from two completely different sources. There is no choice of one over the other as the money from one cannot be used for the other. 

Every action at the University of North Texas is not part of a vast conspiracy to support a single individual. It's not a difficult concept. 

No, but no action at the Universoty of North Texas has ever put athletics in the top 200 on the priority list, except an action taken by the students and student government. 

UNT doesn't care about athletics, and has demonstrated such over multiple decades. Nothing has or will change, otherwise Benford and the Hattiesburg Hustler wouldn't be collecting a check.

Where there is a will, there is a way, especially at a place with as many resources as UNT. 

The BOR just doesn't care

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

The BOR just doesn't care...

... for UNT90s personal agenda of hatred. No, they don't. Just because the BOR doesn't agree with your personal priorities obviously is not the same as they don't care. 

Again, there is no vast right wing conspiracy by the entire university and State of Texas government to protect a single person. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

39 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

... for UNT90s personal agenda of hatred. No, they don't. Just because the BOR doesn't agree with your personal priorities obviously is not the same as they don't care. 

Again, there is no vast right wing conspiracy by the entire university and State of Texas government to protect a single person. 

Hatred? Lol. Speaking of agendas.

You keep wanting to bring this back to the Hustler. Why is that? I've said throughout this post that all of the UNT administrative decision makers put athletics at the bottom of the priority list. Every last one. Yet YOU choose to make  this about one man.

Pigeonholing to protect your agenda.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

It would be good, sure!   Gotta have some sort of ROI though.   If Jerry is asking for too much, is the benefit worth the cost?

I do not do marketing analysis for a living, but I would say the answer would have to be a resounding yes. And not just a Cowboy affiliated benefit. Many of times this area is described as North Texas when other events are happening at Cowboy Stadium. Now we could say that the college of North Texas is the University of North Texas. It will get more eyeballs on us than ever before, ever. 

11 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

The accounting response was in reply to your comments not a hijack. Tiresome, so tiresome. 

I think you should reread your posts. 

Also, it's good to see follow through on not responding to my posts.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

On 5/17/2016 at 9:36 AM, Harry said:

You know, regarding this exclusive University partnership stuff. Does anyone remember that slick deal that Jerry did with Coke and Pepsi at old Texas Stadium? Coke was given the exclusive advertising/signage rights but Jerry then negotiated with Pepsi for the POURING RIGHTS. Coke was not a happy camper.

So if we think that by closing this deal, we will be the only University who's name will be associated with the Cowboys, both now and in the future,  I say "hide and watch guys".

Edited by SilverEagle

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

Hatred? Lol. Speaking of agendas.

You keep wanting to bring this back to the Hustler. Why is that? I've said throughout this post that all of the UNT administrative decision makers put athletics at the bottom of the priority list. Every last one. Yet YOU choose to make  this about one man.

Pigeonholing to protect your agenda.

OK, first look back at the number of your posts just in this single thread that refer to firing RV and/or Bedford. Next, look at the number of threads you have started as a means of spewing distain if not outright hatred on those individuals. Lastly, how many individual posts have you made just in the last 30 days with negative comments about RV and/or Bedford? 

But pointing out the factual errors on accounting in this thread is spreading an "agenda?" 

2 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

You know, regarding this exclusive University partnership stuff. Does anyone remember that slick deal that Jerry did with Coke and Pepsi at old Texas Stadium? Coke was given the exclusive advertising/signage rights but Jerry then negotiated with Pepsi for the POURING RIGHTS. Coke was not a happy camper.

So if we think that by closing this deal, we will be the only University who's name will be associated with the Cowboys, both now and in the future,  I say "hide and watch guys".

That's a bit more to the story. Jerry made the agreement with Coke knowing Coke was negotiating a deal with the entire league. When the league deal was announce, Jerry was mad the league didn't get enough money from Coke. He didn't like a lot of the league's negotiations and eventually got on the committee that handled the media rights negotiations and was able to get much more money than the Commissioner's office thought possible. Similarly, he wanted to get back at Coke somehow and pushed the "pouring right" through during what I think was the last or next to last year of his original deal with Coke. He still has a deal with Pepsi many years later. 

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, VideoEagle said:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/qQGgaI-BcI4

22 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

OK, first look back at the number of your posts just in this single thread that refer to firing RV and/or Bedford. Next, look at the number of threads you have started as a means of spewing distain if not outright hatred on those individuals. Lastly, how many individual posts have you made just in the last 30 days with negative comments about RV and/or Bedford? 

But pointing out the factual errors on accounting in this thread is spreading an "agenda?" 

That's a bit more to the story. Jerry made the agreement with Coke knowing Coke was negotiating a deal with the entire league. When the league deal was announce, Jerry was mad the league didn't get enough money from Coke. He didn't like a lot of the league's negotiations and eventually got on the committee that handled the media rights negotiations and was able to get much more money than the Commissioner's office thought possible. Similarly, he wanted to get back at Coke somehow and pushed the "pouring right" through during what I think was the last or next to last year of his original deal with Coke. He still has a deal with Pepsi many years later. 

Be that as it may, this IS North Texas and Jerry Jones is still the major deal maker for the Cowboys. And Jerry Jones is all about Jerry Jones.  I still say "hide and watch folks". 

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

I think you should reread your posts. 

Also, it's good to see follow through on not responding to my posts.

The original post regarding the accounting scandal that was responded to was Army of Dad's.  A few posts later you agreed with his post.  Not that hard to figure out.  I will respond, like now, when you address me directly.  I did respond to this thread because I found it sad that you started a thread, responded to your original post and then hijacked your own thread.  Carry on, I'm out.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

All of my comments on Benford and the Hattiesburg Hustler are related to their job performance, which by A large consensus on this board has been awful. Some people make personal comments about RV (weight jokes). I don't. Because that isn't job related. I don't hate either of them. I don't know them. And don't want to. I want them to do their job. Both have proven they are incapable of doing their job. And I will continue to demand better for UNT athletes.

Its disappointing that you never, ever do.

Your agenda is to disqualify anything I say as the ravings of a madman that "hates RV." UNT chooses the way they allocate money. A BOR meeting to allocate $1 million as a gift to Jerry Jones is evidence that they make choices. There is no meeting to buy out Benford and RV. That's another choice.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 8