Defense...what if...

GOMG2013

17 minutes ago, GOMG2013 said:

OK, even though it's kinda weak, AT LEAST YOU HAVE A LEGIT REASON instead of some garbage post.  There's hope for you.  Even though you are somewhat endorsing a 2-11 SMU team, no one can deny that the SMU coaching staff has a head start, and someone also posted that since the two years we beat them they also beat us in recruiting.  Both legit points.  thank you.

I was still looking for more of a matchup and Xs and Os thing.  but it's a start.

I would expect similiar results from UNT that SMU had last season. 

The parallels are quite similiar. SMU was arguably the worst program in FBS football in 2014, with a recycled head coach that had basically quite head coaching and given up. They won one game in 2014, and that win was against an awful opponent. 

Carbon Copy of UNT 2015. I would expect 2015 SMU results for 2016 UNT. Littrell's quote about lack of depth before the Spring game is also very telling. 

The win here is development of underclassmen and this hopefully puts more pressure on the Hattiesburg Hustler to GTFO. 

And I always have a legitimate reason for my positions. Some of them just make people mad.

17 minutes ago, GOMG2013 said:

that post was about depth.  it's right there in the post.  The 2013 team had depth issues and almost every fan knows that and complained about not getting young players reps for the following season.  Just admit you can't talk sports dude.  Its nothing to be ashamed of.  Sports isn't everyone's deal, just don't try to ruin it for everyone else. 

See, there we were having a semi-intelligent sports convo and you had to bring the insults. 

We will see if my 2-10 prediction beats your I'm quite sure 6-6 prediction. 

I'm not right on everything, but I've been right about a lot of stuff on here (2015 home schedule, McNulty sucking next year, Benford although that isn't brain surgery to anyone not named Rick Villarreal, attendance last year, and Mean Green numbers this year if you could every break into the AD safe and obtain that closely held state secret). I think my sports knowledge stacks up quite nicely to a 2013 wet behind the ears college grad. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

7 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

I would expect similiar results from UNT that SMU had last season. 

The parallels are quite similiar. SMU was arguably the worst program in FBS football in 2014, with a recycled head coach that had basically quite head coaching and given up. They won one game in 2014, and that win was against an awful opponent. 

Carbon Copy of UNT 2015. I would expect 2015 SMU results for 2016 UNT. Littrell's quote about lack of depth before the Spring game is also very telling. 

The win here is development of underclassmen and this hopefully puts more pressure on the Hattiesburg Hustler to GTFO. 

Parallels are crazy! I feel their first recruiting class was much  stronger than Coach Seths which could put us even further behind the development. Maybe a softer conference we can put up a better W/L record! GMG

10 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

We will see if my 2-10 prediction beats your I'm quite sure 6-6 prediction. 

I'm not right on everything, but I've been right about a lot of stuff on here (2015 home schedule, McNulty sucking next year, Benford although that isn't brain surgery to anyone not named Rick Villarreal, attendance last year, and Mean Green numbers this year if you could every break into the AD safe and obtain that closely held state secret). I think my sports knowledge stacks up quite nicely to a 2013 wet behind the ears college grad. 

We could beat SMU and Bethune Cookman, and still end up 2-10.  Based on the opponents, saying our defense could have a favorable matchup against our first 2 opponents, and starting 2-0 is not really going out on a limb and predicting success.  You still not getting that part?  

and im much older than a 2013 grad.  that's just when i started following the program.

Well, it looked like you were comparing the 2013 defense to this one.

And I caution again against counting Butt Cookman as an automatic win. If UNT loses to SMU by double digits, UNT could be a home dog to Butt Cookman, who were 9-2 last year, finished just outside the final FCS top 25, and have won or shared the MEAC championship in 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015.

Just a stupid, stupid, stupid scheduling move.

EDIT: As a comparison, North Dakota St. went into Ames, Iowa as a 3 point dog in 2014 against Iowa St. and won 34-14. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

This is the appropriate way to approach this season. 

And that would be so North Texas of us to do. I will never be happy with anything less than post season appearance. 

20 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Well, it looked like you were comparing the 2013 defense to this one.

And I caution again against counting Butt Cookman as an automatic win. If UNT loses to SMU by double digits, UNT could be a home dog to Butt Cookman, who were 9-2 last year, finished just outside the final FCS top 25, and have won or shared the MEAC championship in 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015.

Just a stupid, stupid, stupid scheduling move.

EDIT: As a comparison, North Dakota St. went into Ames, Iowa as a 3 point dog in 2014 against Iowa St. and won 34-14. 

Yeah because comparing the 3 or 4 or 5 time defending national champ to Bethune is a fair comparison said no one but 90. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Ben Gooding said:

And that would be so North Texas of us to do. I will never be happy with anything less than post season appearance. 

Who said happy you have to be happy about it? There is a difference between what you want and what you get, especially with UNT athletics. Realizing what's coming may lessen the blow. 

And if by some wild stretch of the imagination a miracle happens, then you can enjoy it even more.

Don't mistake this for not holding people accountable. That should happen, and dies everywhere else. 

But this isn't everywhere else. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

2 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Who said happy you have to be happy about it? There is a difference between what you want and what you get, especially with UNT athletics. Realizing what's coming may lessen the blow. 

And if by some wild stretch of the imagination a miracle happens, then you can enjoy it even more.

Don't mistake this for not holding people accountable. That should happen, and dies everywhere else. 

But this isn't everywhere else. 

Thor said he'd be happy w/ 3 wins. I can't mentally accept that, but I understand where this team sits currently. It all falls on Dan McCarney and he's somewhere chuckling at our situation while he's sippin'. He's also sitting on an unnecessary amount of money. Money he should have never been given. But I want delve too much more into that out of respect of Harry asking us not to. Not right now anyway. 

• Downvote 1

16 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Yeah because comparing the 3 or 4 or 5 time defending national champ to Bethune is a fair comparison said no one but 90. 

Do you think UNT is on the same level as Iowa State? Especially in a what, half empty stadium compared to a nearly full stadium?

Edited by Army of Dad

17 hours ago, THOR said:

3 wins and i'm happy....

If those three are SMU, BC and UTSA then I could go on living... I wouldn't be happy about it, but I could continue the Bataan Death March that is being a fan of this program.  

Any more that three, including the above three, and I am an incredibly happy camper.

If by some act of the football gods we become bowl eligible I will start a kickstarter to melt down Spirki and recast it in SL's beatific image.  

• Upvote 6

On April 25, 2016 at 9:02 PM, Ben Gooding said:

Thor said he'd be happy w/ 3 wins. I can't mentally accept that, but I understand where this team sits currently. It all falls on Dan McCarney and he's somewhere chuckling at our situation while he's sippin'. He's also sitting on an unnecessary amount of money. Money he should have never been given. But I want delve too much more into that out of respect of Harry asking us not to. Not right now anyway. 

This.

And may I add that Butt Cookman is far closer to North Dakota St. As a football team than UNT is to Iowa St.

That Butt Cookmam game is going to be very very interesting.

You think Rick Villarreal even checked to find out they were conference champs 5 of the last 6 years in a strong FCS conference before slapping them on the schedule? I bet he had no idea.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

On April 24, 2016 at 1:13 PM, GOMG2013 said:

What kind of depth did our 2013 team have on defense?  I agree we can't afford any injuries, but in 2013, mac rarely let backups play...which caused many development problems down the line.

On this, we agree. 

My thoughts on our defense:

We are going to get murdered again if we run a 3-3-5.  I just don't have a lot of faith in the depth, size or speed of our line for this particular defense.  They botch assignments then it falls on the linebackers then ultimately on our DBs who are stretched thin if our line can't do their jobs.  That's where the blame falls always.  The DBs.  When it's not necessarily the LBs or DL but the Defense.  We are setting up to fail. 

Safeties should never lead teams in tackles.  That's our flaws- exposed. 

21 minutes ago, SSP said:

On this, we agree. 

We are going to get murdered again if we run a 3-3-5.  I just don't have a lot of faith in the depth, size or speed of our line for this particular defense.  They botch assignments then it falls on the linebackers then ultimately on our DBs who are stretched thin if our line can't do their jobs.  That's where the blame falls always.  The DBs.  When it's not necessarily the LBs or DL but the Defense.  We are setting up to fail. 

No one blames the DB's in piss poor run defense. Ever. Let's not make the board personal. Everyone knows where run D starts. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

28 minutes ago, SSP said:

On this, we agree. 

We run a 3-3-5 but it can turn into a 4-2-5 depending on where wheeler lines up.  And as bad as our defense was, we looked the best when we were in Nickel. There's some teams we won't be able to matchup with at all. A good running team is going to give us trouble no matter what defense we are in.  No need to be terrible at stopping the run AND letting teams pass on us.  At least in the 3-3-5 if we get teams in 3rd and long, we can get off the field instead of watching teams convert with our 10 yard cushions and LBs trying to cover slots and RBs.

There's some teams that a 3-3-5 will match up pretty good with.  We are in CUSA and there's not many teams that can just line up and smash you.  The teams that have a strong running game, we will be forced to make the right play call and make sure the defense is lined up to stop it. This is where the DC will have to earn his paycheck with the playcalling.  From what i have been hearing and reading, we won't have a set base defense like the past years.  There's going to be actual plays called on defense.

On 4/25/2016 at 1:04 PM, Cerebus said:

If those three are SMU, BC and UTSA then I could go on living... I wouldn't be happy about it, but I could continue the Bataan Death March that is being a fan of this program.  

Any more that three, including the above three, and I am an incredibly happy camper.

If by some act of the football gods we become bowl eligible I will start a kickstarter to melt down Spirki and recast it in SL's beatific image.  

How about a similar event closer to home as an example of our suffering. Call it the "North Texas trail of tears".....OR,  we could amend our alma mater..... "down the corridor of tears". 

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 1:04 PM, Cerebus said:

Realistically, Butt Cookman is our best chance at a win, Get that, and then steal another game or two and you have a season that is twice as good or higher than last year's debacle. My guess is that @UTSA and @ Army are the best chances. SMU,@UTEP, and @Rice aren't impossible, but they aren't probable, either. @MUTS, @WKU, Marshall, La Tech, and USM are almost certain losses. And @Florida is just to keep paying the bills.

2-10, with wins over Butt Cookman and an upset @ UTSA, is my prediction. But its very possible to go 1-11 or even 0-12, too. Last year, Kansas saw David Beaty take over there, as an offensive-minded coach from A&M, but with no experience as a head coach ever before. They lost at home to FCS South Dakota State in their opener, then followed that up with 11 more straight losses. For KU, they hope they've now bottomed out, as their whole view of last season became about wins off the field with recruits and within the locker room. That's what 2016 will be about here, IMO.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 4/30/2016 at 11:27 AM, SSP said:

On this, we agree. 

Theoretically yes, but we also lined up in a single technique on the DL last year and didn't move or blitz.  We are going to be slanting and blitzing just about every down this year it seems.  That should keep the OL off the LB's for just a half second longer which is usually all they need.  In previous seasons we would line up and let the opposing OL know exactly where everyone was and didn't move.  This year they'll be guessing particularly off our alignment. What are your thoughts?

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Aldo said:

Do we have enough DL depth for a 4-3/4-2-5 base?

No we rolled 7-8 guys through reps in spring ball.  We will be a 3-3 stack defense this year and walk an OLB down or come up the middle with a blitz to bring 4 almost every down unless its 3rd and a mile or 2nd and a mile. 

• Upvote 2

The beauty of a 3-3-5 is the ability to blitz from every position. Ekeler seems to be very aggressive in schemes along with Reffett who was very successful at ULM. With the experience our safeties have in stopping run I would imagine McClain/Gray will be used prominently in blitz schemes along with the rover spot. It will mask the depth issues on the DL while allowing to stop most conference teams' offenses. Look at the schedule

SMU, Southern Miss, LaTech, Marshall, WKU, MUTS, UTSA all run some version of the spread. There's a reason we're running a 3-3-5 and it's not just players or lack thereof

There's a reason you don't see a whole of of Buddy Ryan's 46 Defense in the Big-12

This is a good article on the 2-4-5/3-3-5:

http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2015/5/1/8528407/modern-defense-and-the-2-4-5-vs-the-3-3-5

• Upvote 2