MGB: Benford comments on future, Villarreal declines

8 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Idea: Who cares. Waste the talent and jump start the rebuild. If not, a year from today you and I both know he'll be getting fired regardless. So, why wait. 

Again, I agree with this.  When I say that I don't want us to waste talent, I mean that we need to have the right person in place to coach said talent.  I think it's been satisfactorily proven at this point that our current coach is NOT the right person.

1 minute ago, untjim1995 said:

There are $325k reason why they would wait...

Sure, but what happens if Benford finally has enough talent to break through and eek out a modest winning season--somewhere in the ballpark of 17-20 wins?  I would be astounded if any prognosticator in the nation predicts much more than that.  So, where do we go from there?  Do we award a three year contract extension, knowing full well that much of the talent from that roster will be departing and that Benford will have an awfully difficult time replicating that success (assuming he is even able to have one marginally successful year in the first place)?  At that point, it will cost the AD far more than $325k, and in essence we'll just be, as others have stated, merely delaying the inevitable.

So, I agree that we have a tendency to be frugal--against all common sense at times.  But, in this case, wouldn't the financially responsible move be to cut ties sooner before being almost forced to bloat that contract out to multiple years?

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Greendylan said:

Sure, but what happens if Benford finally has enough talent to break through and eek out a modest winning season--somewhere in the ballpark of 17-20 wins?  I would be astounded if any prognosticator in the nation predicts much more than that.  So, where do we go from there?  Do we award a three year contract extension, knowing full well that much of the talent from that roster will be departing and that Benford will have an awfully difficult time replicating that success (assuming he is even able to have one marginally successful year in the first place)?  At that point, it will cost the AD far more than $325k, and in essence we'll just be, as others have stated, merely delaying the inevitable.

So, I agree that we have a tendency to be frugal--against all common sense at times.  But, in this case, wouldn't the financially responsible move be to cut ties sooner before being almost forced to bloat that contract out to multiple years?

If he get his last year of his contract, he would have to win the CUSA championship in order to keep his job.

The chances are slim and nobody wins in the end.

• Upvote 1

You all are thinking like real athletic departments do--in terms of potential revenues and opportunity costs...UNT has never run athletics like this--ever. Its all about "known" costs and "known" revenues.  Benford should get fired and probably will in the next few days and weeks. But it will be because his contract was deemed "acceptable" to be bought out by somebody, be it the BOR and the UNT 17, who have had to already buyout Petersen's contract and Mac's $2.1 million dollar contract in the last year. The only reason he was never fired before was because it would cost too much. Normally, after the 4th year of a 5-year contract, he would get bought out. But because of the other RV blunders they have had to pay for, its very possible that Benford stay for a 5th year, without an extension. That would be so stupid and short-sighted, but its definitely on the table.

3 hours ago, Army of Dad said:

Nor should he comment. As much as I would like his statement to have been something like "I've made a huge mistake and I'm correcting it as soon as we get back to Denton by firing coach Benford" he shouldn't say anything to the media at that point.

His answer should have been short and sweet. "TB is a pussy. NFM."

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, NTAlum09 said:

RV is the biggest pussy on this planet and didn't have the balls to comment...

Your language has been out of control for awhile.  Tone it down or you'll be put on moderated posting.  

4 hours ago, NTAlum09 said:

Well I can meet you at the Spring game if you like...just saying

Nevermind.  Threats of physical violence get you put on moderated posting.  

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Your language has been out of control for awhile.  Tone it down or you'll be put on moderated posting.  

Nevermind.  Threats of physical violence get you put on moderated posting.  

First they got to Sidway and the Daily, now the 17 got to cerebus...

:ninja face:

• Upvote 5

How long have we been able to type the word  "__" without getting in trouble????   Why did no one tell me???  I could have made so many bad ass sports points even more bad ass if I'd known I could use the word __!!!

__!!!!!!!!

Edited by TheTastyGreek
Problem already solved.
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Green P1 said:

How long have we been able to type the word  "__" without getting in trouble????   Why did no one tell me???  I could have made so many bad ass sports points even more bad ass if I'd known I could use the word __!!!

__!!!!!!!!

The situation has been addressed.