Mason Fine QB Locust Grove OK - SIGNED LOI

TravisUNT

1 minute ago, greenit said:

Doesn't matter in the long run since Fine is coming and Burns isn't, but would be interesting to know how the coaches rated them.  Moot point I suppose.

Travis, have you heard if it is a scholarship or PWO?  The announcement did not specifically say.

I think where it matters is if this is the scholarship QB for the class, or if we have a walk on QB and may still be in the hunt for a scholarship QB. Because we need all the options at QB that we can get.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

14 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

I think where it matters is if this is the scholarship QB for the class, or if we have a walk on QB and may still be in the hunt for a scholarship QB. Because we need all the options at QB that we can get.

You know I don't know. They are being very careful with their wording. Because they said he took an "unofficial" visit this weekend and you can't do officials for PWO and said he was commited to play but didn't say scholarship.... Interesting.

Edited by TravisUNT

3 minutes ago, TravisUNT said:

You know I don't know. They are being very careful with their wording. Because they said he took an "unofficial" visit this weekend and you can't do officials for PWO and said he was commited to play but didn't say scholarship.... Interesting.

Interesting observation. Could be a PWO and we have a scholarship QB coming. Would make me feel a lot better. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, TravisUNT said:

Very interesting. Also, another poster on the board found out that Coach Littrell and co are aware of blueshirting. 

Basically blueshirting is when a kid commits but initially comes in as a walkon during fall camp. However, they are put on scholarship before school starts so they never actually have to pay out of their pocket. It was a loophole first exploited by Hal Mumme at NMSU, and I learned about it in recent years from following Butch Jones at Tennessee.

The catch to blueshirting is that a recruit is not eligible to blueshirting if they took an official visit. If Fine just took an unofficial visit then that is a possibility, as well as being a PWO.

7 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Very interesting. Also, another poster on the board found out that Coach Littrell and co are aware of blueshirting. 

Basically blueshirting is when a kid commits but initially comes in as a walkon during fall camp. However, they are put on scholarship before school starts so they never actually have to pay out of their pocket. It was a loophole first exploited by Hal Mumme at NMSU, and I learned about it in recent years from following Butch Jones at Tennessee.

The catch to blueshirting is that a recruit is not eligible to blueshirting if they took an official visit. If Fine just took an unofficial visit then that is a possibility, as well as being a PWO.

Help me out, what are the technical difference between an official and unofficial visits? 

1 minute ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Help me out, what are the technical difference between an official and unofficial visits? 

Official visit is all expenses paid by the school (travel, hotel, not sure what else), while unofficial is all on the recruit and their family's dime. I know plane flights are paid for in official visits, but I'm not sure if families within driving distance get reimbursed for gas. Either way, I think you get the point.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Official visit is all expenses paid by the school (travel, hotel, not sure what else), while unofficial is all on the recruit and their family's dime. I know plane flights are paid for in official visits, but I'm not sure if families within driving distance get reimbursed for gas. Either way, I think you get the point.

I imagine official visits are tough for schools like Hawaii. Makes sense, would seem like a sign that he would be a PWO or blue shirt because why make him pay for the trip if he was a scholarship offer? Vito is making it seem like a scholarship offer though.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

I imagine official visits are tough for schools like Hawaii. Makes sense, would seem like a sign that he would be a PWO or blue shirt because why make him pay for the trip if he was a scholarship offer? Vito is making it seem like a scholarship offer though.

Exactly. I have no clue why it wouldn't have been an official otherwise.

Blueshirt does make sense, because it would explain why the visit would be unnoffical and he would be accepting a scholarship, just not an immediate one. It would also explain why no tweet from the Untgridiron page about a commitment from his area code. If it were a Blueshirt they wouldn't be announcing it now, if he still has to technically start off as a walkon.

Edited by BillySee58

1 minute ago, Ben Gooding said:

I don't care about his height. He'll bulk up a little bit while redshirting so that's a plus. The air raid is a gimmicky, premeditated offense that can work well with a smart QB. Size is secondary. I like the get, personally. 

Put me in this camp as well. If the offense runs like its suppose to, he'll only have the ball for a couple of seconds anyway. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Graddean said:

Billy. What is the advantage to blue Shirting?

The advantage is for the coaching staff, in that the player(s) being blueshirted will count toward the next class. In the event that this kid were blueshirted and put on scholarship in August rather than introduced with the class this February, then he would actually count towards the 2017 class, allowing the coaches to sign 25 recruits this class outside of Fine.

Edited by BillySee58

3 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

The advantage is for the coaching staff, in that the player(s) being blueshirted will count toward the next class. In the event that this kid were blueshirted and put on scholarship in August rather than introduced with the class this February, then he would actually count towards the 2017 class, allowing the coaches to sign 25 recruits this class outside of Fine.

Thanks

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

I don't care about his height. He'll bulk up a little bit while redshirting so that's a plus. The air raid is a gimmicky, premeditated offense that can work well with a smart QB. Size is secondary. I like the get, personally. 

Not true, but that's fine. No such thing as gimmicky, or premeditated. 

Well, as far as I can tell, Mason Fine's team beat Nyc Burns' team, so I like that.  I think this is a great move on the part of the coaching staff, if they have the patience for him to develop physically and not be thrown out there too soon.  It seems like a few players from this area, Chase Daniel for one, have done well without being all that tall, so that doesn't worry so much.  I'm actually thinking right now that it's reasonable to look forward to seeing some well thrown passes compared to the last couple of years.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Regardless of size this kid is a bad ass and an on field leader. And considering that can we go ahead and give him the perfect nickname and just call him Chief?

Rick

Rick - this is dead on. Fine is a good player (2x Gatorade Player of the Year) who demonstrates guts and leadership. Seemingly essential qualities for a QB.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Question, if it is scholly why now tweet from UNTouchable from the 918 or 539 area code and a Seth re-tweet? Why the unofficial? Why no offer announcement? I still find this odd.

7 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Because it's obviously a blue shirt or something along those lines 

Exactly. Still no tweet from that account about Fine's commitment like they have for all the others, usually within an hour of the announcement, sometimes before.

The thing I don't get is blueshirting is a maneuver used when a class goes over the limit. We aren't even close. It's a weird situation, but doesn't seem to be a straightforward commitment.

4 minutes ago, TravisUNT said:

But you do see it's odd then too right? ?

Absolutely

• Upvote 2