Mason Fine QB Locust Grove OK - SIGNED LOI

TravisUNT

8 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Just a dissappointing weekend with only 1 or 2 commits. Still being patient, but was hoping for more.

And I gotta think a 5'10" listing really means 5'8" or maybe 5'9". 

I was just hoping for a lot more from this staff than recruiting kids with no other FBS offers. Maybe we get a surprise this week, but the clock is ticking...

Yeah, me too.

Fine looked around 5'10" to me, next to Littrell and Harrell. I expect more commitments during the week both this week and next week leading up to signing day. These last two weeks you usually get more commits during the week and not just on the weekend.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I saw that also and looked up Littrell's stats at OU.  He was listed as 5'10" so I would guess Fine is closing in on 6'.  Someone mentioned Fine is a more refined QB than Shafer out of Canadian.  Please expand.

Fine is a more refined prospect than Schafer. I think his mechanics are better. I believe his footwork, pocket awareness, and eye discipline are better. I also believe he has a stronger arm and is a more accurate down field passer.

• Upvote 1

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfls-best-short-quarterbacks-time-143613195--nfl.html

Here is a couple of QB's who have had success being sub 6 foot. If Seth and Graham believes he can sling it. Bring him on!

4 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

On a side note, is Carlos Harris dressing Littrell nowadays? 

I thought same thing at first. But I believe it's a polo with a jacket over it. 

1 minute ago, UNT Mean Green said:

Travis - good information. What is your opinion of him based on your experience in seeing him play?

Good kid. Big arm and accurate. Lays it in pretty. Not the quickest release and sometimes if the first option isn't open he'll scramble instead of checking down. His height is the big knock on him no one questions his work or athleticism. He isn't going to get any taller. So he doesn't have the physical "upside" everyone wants. That's why he hasn't been recruited by anyone. A lot of people think he is a system QB but I've seen him and he is more than that. It's just the height and you can name some QB's that have overcome it but most do not. That's his OWN knock.   

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, TravisUNT said:

Please believe me. He is 5'9 with shoes on. I've seen him MULTIPLE times in person on and off the field. 

It is why he doesn't have any offers.

Thanks for the info Travis.  As a comparison, I know a senior who is 5-10, but was an outstanding QB, 1st team all district in a tough 6A district for his junior and senior seasons.  Great arm, good speed, great vision etc.  Just a terrific athlete.  He is getting D-II offers right now.  I really think the juco's and FBS, FCS will rarely take a flyer on a QB below 6-1 or so. 

1 minute ago, Harry said:

Thanks for the info Travis.  As a comparison, I know a senior who is 5-10, but was an outstanding QB, 1st team all district in a tough 6A district for his junior and senior seasons.  Great arm, good speed, great vision etc.  Just a terrific athlete.  He is getting D-II offers right now.  I really think the juco's and FBS, FCS will rarely take a flyer on a QB below 6-1 or so. 

I think its funny when a guy like Mason gets no love and Tylin Oden has Multiple D1 offers cause he's 6'5" and can run but threw for 900yrds 10TD 5INTs and his team went 2-7. I think if you could get Fine and another kid you'd be in really good shape. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, TravisUNT said:

Good kid. Big arm and accurate. Lays it in pretty. Not the quickest release and sometimes if the first option isn't open he'll scramble instead of checking down. His height is the big knock on him no one questions his work or athleticism. He isn't going to get any taller. So he doesn't have the physical "upside" everyone wants. That's why he hasn't been recruited by anyone. A lot of people think he is a system QB but I've seen him and he is more than that. It's just the height and you can name some QB's that have overcome it but most do not. That's his OWN knock.   

Thanks for the rundown.

11 minutes ago, TravisUNT said:

I think its funny when a guy like Mason gets no love and Tylin Oden has Multiple D1 offers cause he's 6'5" and can run but threw for 900yrds 10TD 5INTs and his team went 2-7. I think if you could get Fine and another kid you'd be in really good shape. 

This is what people say who can't land a quality QB recruit. I have nothing against the kid, but kids of his stature rarely translate into FBS QBs. Everyone references the exceptions. Could this kid be the exception? I guess, but the odds are long. 

And thanks for the honesty about his size. Looks between 5'8" and 5'9" in the photo. I'm sure that is the reason for the lack of offers.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

This is what people say who can't land a quality QB recruit. I have nothing against the kid, but kids of his stature rarely translate into FBS QBs. Everyone references the exceptions. Could this kid be the exception? I guess, but the odds are long. 

And thanks for the honesty about his size. Looks between 5'8" and 5'9" in the photo. I'm sure that is the reason for the lack of offers.

Oh I agree! Exceptions prove the rule.

28 minutes ago, TravisUNT said:

Which, this is not necessarily a knock anymore... at least, for NT.  We have a specific system now.  We're going to need a system QB.  If he has an above-average arm, or above average wheels, that's a plus.   What we need is a dude who can run this system and is smart enough to read defenses fast enough to find his open receivers.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Which, this is not necessarily a knock anymore... at least, for NT.  We have a specific system now.  We're going to need a system QB.  If he has an above-average arm, or above average wheels, that's a plus.   What we need is a dude who can run this system and is smart enough to read defenses fast enough to find his open receivers.

Let me rephrase that. That his numbers are him throwing deep balls to Jason Pyrtle running underneath kids who couldn't cover him in small 3A OK school districts wear kids play both ways. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, TravisUNT said:

Does he have D1 ability at receiver or DB if QB doesn't work out?