Mason Fine QB Locust Grove OK - SIGNED LOI

TravisUNT

4 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Exactly. Still no tweet from that account about Fine's commitment like they have for all the others, usually within an hour of the announcement, sometimes before.

The thing I don't get is blueshirting is a maneuver used when a class goes over the limit. We aren't even close. It's a weird situation, but doesn't seem to be a straightforward commitment.

I know it's strange and confusing. Maybe they have 17 guys up their sleeves.because their is several guys they are talking to and still haven't offered. Idk if they are just planning on keeping a couple and going heavy next class when they have more time to build relationship. I get the feeling this staff would rather get the guy they want or wait on the right guy later than just throw out schollys 

19 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I know it's strange and confusing. Maybe they have 17 guys up their sleeves.because their is several guys they are talking to and still haven't offered. Idk if they are just planning on keeping a couple and going heavy next class when they have more time to build relationship. I get the feeling this staff would rather get the guy they want or wait on the right guy later than just throw out schollys 

Exactly. I don't see why they wouldn't save spots to use for next class, when they'll have the full cycle to recruit. Honestly, it would make more sense if he were a PWO, but he said scholarship to Vito.

39 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Exactly. Still no tweet from that account about Fine's commitment like they have for all the others, usually within an hour of the announcement, sometimes before.

The thing I don't get is blueshirting is a maneuver used when a class goes over the limit. We aren't even close. It's a weird situation, but doesn't seem to be a straightforward commitment.

Absolutely

So if it is initially a blueshirt(which explains why UNTGridiron didn't tweet a 918 message) then he can enroll and play in 2016 but counts towards the 2017 class. If we don't sign a full class next week(excluding Fine) then he can't blueshirt and he counts towards 2016 class. Am I correct here?

39 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Absolutely

It's the wording and the unoffical that concerns me. "I will be attending the University of North Texas to further my education and football career!" Not I've been offered a scholarship and knowing the rules of offers and official visits it should have been an official if he was going to get a scholly. Unofficials for PWO because they at that point can't pay because the attendee will be applying for financial aid. I seriously think people are assuming and it may not be scholly. If it is it's been handled very odd. 

9 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Regardless of size this kid is a bad ass and an on field leader. And considering that can we go ahead and give him the perfect nickname and just call him Chief?

Rick

Makes sense now but didn't even consider that we was Native American. Apparently he is an enrolled member of the Cherokee nation. Can't think of many Native American football players. Jim Thorpe and Sam Bradford come to mind.

Edited by ChristopherRyanWilkes
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TravisUNT said:

It's the wording and the unoffical that concerns me. "I will be attending the University of North Texas to further my education and football career!" Not I've been offered a scholarship and knowing the rules of offers and official visits it should have been an official if he was going to get a scholly. Unofficials for PWO because they at that point can't pay because the attendee will be applying for financial aid. I seriously think people are assuming and it may not be scholly. If it is it's been handled very odd. 

The thing is, he told Vito it was a scholarship

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, TravisUNT said:

Did he or did Vito assume? Read it again. 

He never says that that in " quotes"

Hey it could be but I'm just not sure why Seth and UNTouchable haven't rejoiced via twitter.  

That's why I asked Vito to confirm and he told me "That's what it says." Because nothing I read in quotes confirmed it.

Edited by ChristopherRyanWilkes
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Eagle-96 said:

So if it is initially a blueshirt(which explains why UNTGridiron didn't tweet a 918 message) then he can enroll and play in 2016 but counts towards the 2017 class. If we don't sign a full class next week(excluding Fine) then he can't blueshirt and he counts towards 2016 class. Am I correct here?

If we don't sign a full class next week then he technically can still blueshirt, but there would be no added value in that case. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, dd992emo said:

New guy here, just registered. Where goes Mason Fine also goes my football loyalties.

Was fortunate enough to meet the young man a few months ago and came away dazzled by his maturity, humility and demeanor. I grew up in Locust Grove, though I left many years ago. Always kept up with the team, which was always awful. Fine and Pirtle (and friends) changed all that.

Regardless of what your coaching staff does with him, this young man will be an enormous asset to your team and your school.

Welcome Aboard Double D, Glad to have ya

• Upvote 1

1) He's an athlete, which I love.  It's been some time since we've had a quarterback that doubled as a natural athlete.

2) He has good mechanics.  His release is quick and smooth and he has very good touch on the ball.  His posture and quick release reminds a little of Andrew Smith.  

3) Its hard to tell what kind of accuracy he has from the lack of timed throws. Time will tell if he can make those throws (slants, curls, out routes, etc.).  I imagine we will be running quite a bit of screens so that shouldn't be an issue

4) He has good pocket awareness and scrambles well.  While he runs well, but he keeps his eyes downfield looking for a place to throw first.  

5) I don't mind 'throwing it up for grabs' throws as long as we teach our receivers to be aggressive and win those one on one battles.  

6) I also don't mind 'his lack of size'.  Other quarterbacks have already been mentioned that are/were great QB's that lacked height.  

• Upvote 5

15 minutes ago, Withers940 said:

He's 5'10 though

Caleb Chumley is 6'5" 240. And by all accounts he is a horrible QB. I don't think people understand what Littrell and staff are doing here. Their recruits have speed and they have versatility. Littrell is finding athletes and will be plugging them where he needs them. You can't teach speed, you can teach everything else. 

• Upvote 7

3 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

OoooooooooooooooooooooK. 

Please enlighten me as to how Littrell's offense is gimmicky or premeditated? The qb will have plenty on his plate to read and adjust.  I will let you explain your stance though, and I look forward to the response.  Reminder Littrell does not run Air Raid.  He runs spread. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

25 minutes ago, dd992emo said:

New guy here, just registered. Where goes Mason Fine also goes my football loyalties.

Was fortunate enough to meet the young man a few months ago and came away dazzled by his maturity, humility and demeanor. I grew up in Locust Grove, though I left many years ago. Always kept up with the team, which was always awful. Fine and Pirtle (and friends) changed all that.

Regardless of what your coaching staff does with him, this young man will be an enormous asset to your team and your school.

Welcome!  Thanks for chiming in!

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, dd992emo said:

Welcome glad to have you here.  What are your thoughts on Pirtle as a prospect?

15 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Caleb Chumley is 6'5" 240. And by all accounts he is a horrible QB. I don't think people understand what Littrell and staff are doing here. Their recruits have speed and they have versatility. Littrell is finding athletes and will be plugging them where he needs them. You can't teach speed, you can teach everything else. 

Oh, that wasn't to doubt his athleticism at all. I think it was Travis or someone else said he was not 5'10. I was referencing that.

13 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Please enlighten me as to how Littrell's offense is gimmicky or premeditated? The qb will have plenty on his plate to read and adjust.  I will let you explain your stance though, and I look forward to the response.  Reminder Littrell does not run Air Raid.  He runs spread. 

lol wut

18 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Agreed. Littrell's version of the spread is meant to go so fast and up-tempo as to keep the defense gassed. Littrell's offense is much more balanced then the Leach version. It's all about keeping the linebackers guessing and out of sync. We'll see a lot of WR screens, slants and jet sweeps. It's all about learning 15-20 plays and then running them to perfection every time. Repetition is key. Morris/Smith will have to be able to make quick reads to diagnose where the weakness is and then be decisive in their decision making. It's not gimmicky at all. It's really pretty simple.

1 hour ago, GMG24 said:

show me where Littrell has claimed Air raid? He runs spread tempo and multiple formations.

He runs an Air Raid offense. Its Air Raid principles. He has tweaked it to fit the talent and personnel every where he has been. Its not the Leach Air Raid, but the principles and language are pretty much the same. He has said it and its been documented at almost every stop that Littrell runs an air raid offense. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Eagle-96 said:

Agreed. Littrell's version of the spread is meant to go so fast and up-tempo as to keep the defense gassed. Littrell's offense is much more balanced then the Leach version. It's all about keeping the linebackers guessing and out of sync. We'll see a lot of WR screens, slants and jet sweeps. It's all about learning 15-20 plays and then running them to perfection every time. Repetition is key. Morris/Smith will have to be able to make quick reads to diagnose where the weakness is and then be decisive in their decision making. It's not gimmicky at all. It's really pretty simple.

20120929_ter_an2_025.0.jpg

See Mike Leach and his notecard for an air raid playbook. Simple, but run to perfection every time. 

• Upvote 1