Mason Fine QB Locust Grove OK - SIGNED LOI

TravisUNT

57 minutes ago, TravisUNT said:

The thing is I really like Mason and I think he is good kid and a good player but it's starting to seem like he's leading people to believe something that isn't true with the "well I didn't exactly say that" kinda verbiage and to me or looks bad. When Bleacher Report runs an article about your first offer you should probably mention if it's scholly or not.

Oh well I don't really think it's a big deal if it's blue shirt, grey shirt or signing on Feb 3rd. I'm excited for the kid. All that really matters is he is living out his dream as a division 1 scholly quarterback at the University of North Texas . And his school will be PAID for. I hope he comes and has a great career.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

So in this case you feel the responsibility concerning the miscommunication may be on the recruit side, rather than the coaches side?

Rick

I do. I think if bleacher report is doing an article on your first scholly offer and you don't technically have one yes I think you do. Because if they don't offer then it's not the coaches who will look bad.

4 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Oh well I don't really think it's a big deal if it's blue shirt, grey shirt or signing on Feb 3rd. I'm excited for the kid. All that really matters is he is living out his dream as a division 1 scholly quarterback at the University of North Texas . And his school will be PAID for. I hope he comes and has a great career.

That's why your not getting. It's NOT PAID FOR. A 'Blue Shirt' is a made up term for a PWO who gets a scholly "at some point in his career" and the article even says he may "have to pay". Unless his name is on the signing class roster on signing day he is a PWO until he gets a scholly. Period.

Maybe I've missed something, but what is the benefit of having him blue shirt? I know he would be considered on next years recruiting class, but what is the benefit? I mean if the kid is going get a full-ride now or after fall practices, I would rather have him get it now and come in sooner if able to just for him to get more reps and more time in the room with Morris, etc... or is this blue-shirting just being viewed as a way to give a kid a summer or something? 

Am I missing something like he gets another year of eligibility, or something? I'm assuming he doesn't but just trying to see why not Lock him in now, and not deal with him someone else trying to jump in between now and the end of signing period.

10 minutes ago, TravisUNT said:

I do. I think if bleacher report is doing an article on your first scholly offer and you don't technically have one yes I think you do. Because if they don't offer then it's not the coaches who will look bad.

That's why your not getting. It's NOT PAID FOR. A 'Blue Shirt' is a made up term for a PWO who gets a scholly "at some point in his career" and the article even says he may "have to pay". Unless his name is on the signing class roster on signing day he is a PWO until he gets a scholly. Period.

Absolutely not. That's not how blue short works. At most he would have to pay for one semester of college. @BillySee58 little help here lol

17 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Absolutely not. That's not how blue short works. At most he would have to pay for one semester of college. @BillySee58 little help here lol

Yeah, @TravisUNT, Vito is the one that said at some point "later in their careers". That's not what a blueshirt is. A blueshirt is guaranteed a scholarship before they ever sit down on campus for a class. Not maybe after one or two semesters.

A blueshirt doesn't have to pay for even a single semester of college. If they do, then they're just a PWO getting a scholarship.

Again, this is from an article a couple years back when I was first learning about it from Butch Jones:

The more intriguing and non-traditional option is blue-shirting. Here’s how I described it an earlier article: “Officially, a player arrives in the summer as a walk-on. Once football practice begins, he’s awarded a scholarship. The school is allowed to count the scholarship forward — against the 2015* class — but the player can play immediately. There’s a big catch: The student-athlete may not have been recruited, as defined by NCAA bylaws. That means no official visit to campus, no in-home visits from coaches, no signed National Letter of Intent or athletic aid.”

*in our current case we would count him forward to the 2017 class.

http://knoxblogs.com/evanseleven/2013/12/05/has-butch-jones-found-a-recruiting-loophole-vols-could-use-complex-stragegies-to-manage-brimming-class/

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Yeah, @TravisUNT, Vito is the one that said at some point "later in their careers". That's not what a blueshirt is. A blueshirt is guaranteed a scholarship before they ever sit down on campus for a class. Not maybe after one or two semesters.

A blueshirt doesn't have to pay for even a single semester of college. If they do, then they're just a PWO getting a scholarship.

Again, this is from an article a couple years back when I was first learning about it from Butch Jones:

The more intriguing and non-traditional option is blue-shirting. Here’s how I described it an earlier article: “Officially, a player arrives in the summer as a walk-on. Once football practice begins, he’s awarded a scholarship. The school is allowed to count the scholarship forward — against the 2015* class — but the player can play immediately. There’s a big catch: The student-athlete may not have been recruited, as defined by NCAA bylaws. That means no official visit to campus, no in-home visits from coaches, no signed National Letter of Intent or athletic aid.”

*in our current case we would count him forward to the 2017 class.

http://knoxblogs.com/evanseleven/2013/12/05/has-butch-jones-found-a-recruiting-loophole-vols-could-use-complex-stragegies-to-manage-brimming-class/

I understand what a blueshirt is but it is only used when you have a full class. And technically it's still a PWO until that scholly is awarded so either way it isn't a scholarship offer. Also we've been the ones throwing that term around you'll notice Mason Fine has never been quoted as saying that either. Facts are right not every recruiting website says UNT has offered Mason Fine and he has verbally commited and its false and I'm not real sure why Vito hasn't straight asked Mason? 

Just get a quote on the record.

8 minutes ago, TravisUNT said:

I understand what a blueshirt is but it is only used when you have a full class. And technically it's still a PWO until that scholly is awarded so either way it isn't a scholarship offer. Also we've been the ones throwing that term around you'll notice Mason Fine has never been quoted as saying that either. Facts are right not every recruiting website says UNT has offered Mason Fine and he has verbally commited and its false and I'm not real sure why Vito hasn't straight asked Mason? 

Just get a quote on the record.

Yeah, there's a very good chance Vito wouldn't even be saying blueshirt if I hadn't been explaining it on here. Another poster did find out that the staff has been discussing the possibility of using the blueshirt loophole if need be. I would say a blueshirt is a scholarship offer, because it is agreed upon before signing day and the players only enroll because of the agreement that they'll be put on scholarship immediately.

The recruiting websites are just relaying the offer they see from Vito's blog post. They haven't done any actual confirmation themselves. I agree we should get a quote, but I think if don't sign 25 (or at least close to 25) on signing day and Fine is still not included then it's a PWO. You're right in that there would be no reason unless we were full on scholarships.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 4

What is the benefit of him blue-shirting VS. him signing now?

If he he signed now, he could come in and train sooner, but if he is a blue-shirt he misses out on some of fall practice correct?

I just don't get if he is our QB, or going to be the QB for us, why not just sign him now and it doesn't matter if he counts against this years # of players signed since we won't be near the 25, nor would we be near the 30+ that we could have next year.

1 minute ago, baberuthbomber8 said:

What is the benefit of him blue-shirting VS. him signing now?

If he he signed now, he could come in and train sooner, but if he is a blue-shirt he misses out on some of fall practice correct?

I just don't get if he is our QB, or going to be the QB for us, why not just sign him now and it doesn't matter if he counts against this years # of players signed since we won't be near the 25, nor would we be near the 30+ that we could have next year.

No, he wouldn't miss out on any practice if he blueshirts. The benefit would be keeping that spot open in the 2016 class to sign any late qualifiers, or other players after National Signing Day.

If he really were our QB for the class he wouldn't be blueshirting, IMO. I have said it before, and I do agree with Travis that a conventional PWO spot and not a blueshirt makes more sense.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

No, he wouldn't miss out on any practice if he blueshirts. The benefit would be keeping that spot open in the 2016 class to sign any late qualifiers, or other players after National Signing Day.

If he really were our QB for the class he wouldn't be blueshirting, IMO. I have said it before, and I do agree with Travis that a conventional PWO spot and not a blueshirt makes more sense.

Unless Littrell & Co are 'stealth' recruiting (highly doubtful), they're going to be making a HUGE push this week to get to 25 (possible?), or holding 5-10 scholarships for late-qualifiers/early enrollees for 2017 (much more likely)... I don't see a reason why we would need to blueshirt him.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Unless Littrell & Co are 'stealth' recruiting (highly doubtful), they're going to be making a HUGE push this week to get to 25 (possible?), or holding 5-10 scholarships for late-qualifiers/early enrollees for 2017 (much more likely)... I don't see a reason why we would need to blueshirt him.

Completely agree. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BillySee58 said:

Now with you saying that the whole PWO makes more sense the blue-shirt, do you have doubts about him with us, as in you would wanna bring in another QB or something? or that you think that next year we could bring in a large class of recruits and we would need more slots open for a possible influx of guys?

I just would think, if Fine is viewed as our QB of the future, if you wanna call it that, they should just sign him and roll with it, because we will have alot of slots open for next years class, i mean we are at 10 players now, so maybe we go up to 15, 20 max(which I think is super unlikely) for the 2015 class, that would roll over 5-10 scholarships to next years giving us 30-35 to offer, no way we can go out and land that many guys I think.. I could be wrong, but I would think if Littrell and Harrell are high on this kid, and he seems to check all the boxes, he should be signed and if i were them, sign him and use him at a pitch man and part of the pitch to come to UNT... 

I think alot of kids would be impressed to play with a 2x Gatorade player of the year, multiple State-record holder, etc...

To me, it just doesn't make sense if he ends up with a scholarship now or in August, either way the kid will count for the 2016 year but for him to be on the 2015 class or 2016 makes no difference, because highly unlike we fill all 30-35 ships i think... 

• Upvote 1

I know this may all be a misunderstanding, but if it were my son I'd have him keep his options open.  He may get overlooked by FBS, but I'm guessing he may get more interest from other FCS or a better FBS later on..  If our ships were all filled up,..then ok.  I understand the Shirt discussions as my options are limited for FBS.  But it's wide open here.  Either give him a ship,..or don't.  He's good enough to play for an education someplace without talk of walking on or shirting or whatever.

Rick

3 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

i agree, he is good enough that he could play at the bigger schools if he was 3-4 inches taller, plus he seems like a good enough kid in the videos I have seen off the football field just to have around. 

He reminds me of J.Quinn, how they were under-valued and were high-character guys that gave it 100% all the time... Fine, I think could play with a huge chip on his shoulders unlike other guys that come to UNT thinking oh this is the end of the line or last ditch offer i have... 

3 minutes ago, Mean_Green09 said:

There are a few guys that Im sure they are working on and probably have offered, but nothing that going to move the needle toward this being the class your hoping for. 

You do realize my sights weren't set very high, right? Hopefully these guys they are working on have at least a couple other offers from FBS schools? 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Makes it even more impressive if that is the case.

I am expecting Shanbour to receive a scholarship this Fall.  IMO, he is a 3 year older, 20lb heavier version of Fine.  I think Harrell and Littrell will see enough in him and the fact he has been here two seasons as a walkon pretty much makes it a no brainer to offer him a scholarship since he won't count against the 25.