Mason Fine QB Locust Grove OK - SIGNED LOI

TravisUNT

I like this kid.

On a side note, I just reviewed his senior year highlights on HUDL:  http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1667735/highlights/321786377/v2

Let's be honest, Mac staff would not have given this kid a side gland because of his height.  Sort of similar to Bogie getting passed up.  The key difference between this kid and Bogie is this kid is very fast and very hard to sack.   He has a quick release and pretty nice touch on his long ball.  Very interesting player, and you would think with his speed you could put him somewhere else if QB didn't work out.  Here's something else to consider, this kid broker the all time high school passing record in the state of Oklahoma.  He threw  for more than 11,500 for his career. The previous record of 11,357 set from 2007-2010 was held by Atoka's L.T. Pfaff.  That is pretty damn impressive.

Here's another good article on Fine, he was valedictorian of his high school class:  http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2016/01/07/oklahoma-high-school-qb-mason-fine-armed-and-dangerous-163005

So is there another reason besides size that schools aren't recruiting him? From his hudl tape it looks like he has a great deep ball and is mobile. Also it looks like he has at least average arm strength and good accuracy. He is the 2 time Gatorade player of the year for Oklahoma. Has he been arrested like 18 times or something because I don't see another reason why schools aren't lined up. Do they really think a 17-18 year old won't grow or add on any size? If they redshirted him behind Morris for a year to let him grow I wouldn't be surprised to see him become a 4 year starter, especially in Harrell & Littrell's offense.

Also great quote from an article at Tulsaworld.com:

Locust Grove went from a three-year record of 2-28 before Pirtle and record-setting quarterback Mason Fine arrived to three consecutive undefeated regular seasons, three straight district titles and a 37-3 overall record.

Edited by MEEN2018
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Harry said:

I like this kid.

On a side note, I just reviewed his senior year highlights on HUDL:  http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1667735/highlights/321786377/v2

Let's be honest, Mac staff would not have given this kid a side gland because of his height.  Sort of similar to Bogie getting passed up.  The key difference between this kid and Bogie is this kid is very fast and very hard to sack.   He has a quick release and pretty nice touch on his long ball.  Very interesting player, and you would think with his speed you could put him somewhere else if QB didn't work out.  Here's something else to consider, this kid broker the all time high school passing record in the state of Oklahoma.  He threw  for more than 11,500 for his career. The previous record of 11,357 set from 2007-2010 was held by Atoka's L.T. Pfaff.  That is pretty damn impressive.

Here's another good article on Fine, he was valedictorian of his high school class:  http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2016/01/07/oklahoma-high-school-qb-mason-fine-armed-and-dangerous-163005

Sign him and Augie or Brewer! Give him a shot at Qb he could always move to the slot with his quickness ! 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Harry said:

I like this kid.

I watch his film again my self. I would definitely be okay if we got him. Kid has a great arm and super mobile, and most of all pocket awareness which is very underrated. Be nice to see what he could do in Littrell and co offense  after redshirting a year.

What is the size of a 3a school in Oklahoma. Because  I know Canadian is 1a in Texas so around a 100 to 200 kids. Wonder how the quality of competition compare.

• Upvote 1

Seems like a pretty smart kid.  Overachiever, accurate, may be the type that could flourish in this type of system.  Has ability to improvise.  Looks to be a member of the Cherokee Nation.  That would be a cool twist.  I believe Sam Bradford was also part Cherokee.

Seems like the type of player you could bring in and if he doesn't work out at QB, he has the potential speed to contribute at DB or wideout or special teams.  Such a high character guy, it doesn't seem like a huge gamble in terms of a scholarship.

I read where he actually finished with over 13,000 passing yards and 166 passing TDs.  Kind of hard to luck your way into that.  Evidently OSU thought enough to offer him PWO status.

32 minutes ago, jtm0097 said:

Nice high school film. I am not too concerned about size. He just needs to be able to run the offense. Small qbs flourish in spread offenses. Remember guys, we're not going to be running a Canales/ McCarney  offense anymore.

Me neither. Do people remember what Johnny Manziel did at A&M? Texas didn't even want to touch him as a QB and look what he ended up doing. These kind of QBs can make some noise in college football. 

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1

5 hours ago, MeanGreen22 said:

I'm sold. I want this kid on the team. He has passion and desire that will overcome his height. I just love how he puts such an emphasis on wanting to continue to improve and prove people wrong. 

Amen. Mason is an incredible football player who checks all of the boxes (physical tools, leadership, effort and desire, smarts, etc.) that you want in your trigger man. This staff and this system would be an excellent situation for him as well.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, MEEN2018 said:

So is there another reason besides size that schools aren't recruiting him? From his hudl tape it looks like he has a great deep ball and is mobile. Also it looks like he has at least average arm strength and good accuracy. He is the 2 time Gatorade player of the year for Oklahoma. Has he been arrested like 18 times or something because I don't see another reason why schools aren't lined up. Do they really think a 17-18 year old won't grow or add on any size? If they redshirted him behind Morris for a year to let him grow I wouldn't be surprised to see him become a 4 year starter, especially in Harrell & Littrell's offense.

Look at the stats from the playoff game him and Burns played each other ?

The two combined for 714 yards passing and nine touchdowns, including 579 yards and seven touchdowns in the first half. Fine is a good kid and a gamer. The only knocks have ever been height and he has been know to throw it up to his receiver Jason Pirtle to "go get it" a lot (double coverage deep balls he shouldn't throw) He could be great at the next level. 

Very cool all access series the Tulsa World did on him and his receiver Jason Pyrtle http://m.tulsaworld.com/mason-and-jason-the-pride-of-locust-grove/collection_0930127e-1468-11e5-a340-f339ed6d650f.html?mode=jqm

Edited by TravisUNT
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

A QB with no other FBS offers isn't what anyone was hoping for out of this staff. 

Correct?

If he comes here and becomes an all conference quarterback then that is what we are looking for.  (hope springs eternal)

You're right that the quarterback recruiting has been very puzzling especially after Seth said we would be basically be signing a quarterback each year.  We don't have any committed and we seem to have very few offers out there. I can only imagine they know something we don't.  

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

A QB with no other FBS offers isn't what anyone was hoping for out of this staff. 

Correct?

I agree. That is why I would bring him in with a more Pro style QB like Augie or Brewer. A dual threat Qb gives you options because you can always move to another position, A pro style Qb does not it is Qb or bust.

2 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

I agree. That is why I would bring him in with a more Pro style QB like Augie or Brewer. A dual threat Qb gives you options because you can always move to another position, A pro style Qb does not it is Qb or bust.

Fine is a Pro-Style QB. He is more a passer than a runner. Your not going to find many kids out there who threw it 869 times in the past two years.

9 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I watch his film again my self. I would definitely be okay if we got him. Kid has a great arm and super mobile, and most of all pocket awareness which is very underrated. Be nice to see what he could do in Littrell and co offense  after redshirting a year.

What is the size of a 3a school in Oklahoma. Because  I know Canadian is 1a in Texas so around a 100 to 200 kids. Wonder how the quality of competition compare.

Canadian is 2a.

Fine is a much more refined prospect than Tanner Schafer.

6 minutes ago, Mean_Green09 said:

Fine is a Pro-Style QB. He is more a passer than a runner. Your not going to find many kids out there who threw it 869 times in the past two years.

With his quickness I could easily see him in the slot. He played receiver as a freshman on varsity.

8 minutes ago, Mean_Green09 said:

That doesn't mean he's not a dual-threat. I think he and Debiase are both around the same as Mcnulty with their legs. Hopefully a little more, but they look like they can move well enough to make defenses respect their athleticism.

@Wag TagI wouldn't read too much into that pro-style label on Debiase. He is a decent runner, and looks to have around the same mobility as Fine.

2 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

That doesn't mean he's not a dual-threat. I think he and Debiase are both around the same as Mcnulty with their legs. Hopefully a little more, but they look like they can move well enough to make defenses respect their athleticism.

@Wag TagI wouldn't read too much into that pro-style label on Debiase. He is a decent runner, and looks to have around the same mobility as Fine.

The whole Pro-Style/Dual Threat label is outdated. People see pro style and think Andrew Luck or classic drop back passer. People see duel threat and think Vince Young. Fine is listed as a pro style guy, because his primary weapon is his arm. But yes he is athletic enough to beat you with his legs. 

I think the draw on Fine is that he's already an accomplished passer in this type of offense.  He makes good decisions with the ball and knows where to go.  That's the kind of passer you need in this system.   The height is absolutely a concern because his O-linemen are not going to be 6-1 anymore, they're going to be 6-4+.  The opposing D-linemen aren't going to be 5-11 anymore, especially coming off the edges.
Tough to throw over those guys when you're a little guy.

37 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Correct?

Nope. But at the same time, at least it's because he is 5'10/11" and from a small school in Oklahoma. Not because he can't play.

The good news is, the positions that seem to be more prone to outliers in my offer list scale are QB, receiver, and DB. If a QB fits the offense well and is developed well then a lightly-recruited QB can turn out good in college.

But yeah, that being said, I still think we need to see this staff start to win more recruiting battles. QB included. Would be far from a can't-miss signing.

9 minutes ago, Mean_Green09 said:

The whole Pro-Style/Dual Threat label is outdated. People see pro style and think Andrew Luck or classic drop back passer. People see duel threat and think Vince Young. Fine is listed as a pro style guy, because his primary weapon is his arm. But yes he is athletic enough to beat you with his legs. 

Completely agree. I would even say that people think more of Manning and Brady when they see pocket passer. Luck is more of a passer but can beat you with his legs. I feel like people see pocket passer and assume it's a guy who can't make a defense pay by keeping on a zone read, etc.

Debiase and Fine are both capable of picking up first downs with their legs if that's the right move. So yeah, definitely varying degrees of pro-style and dual-threat guys.

23 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Difference between quickness and being one of the bigger guys on the field as runner. I like Augie and Brewer, can't understand why their activity has slowed. Is it because of early activity and with Brewer early commit or did they have poor Sr. seasons?

12 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Nope. But at the same time, at least it's because he is 5'10/11" and from a small school in Oklahoma. Not because he can't play.

The good news is, the positions that seem to be more prone to outliers in my offer list scale are QB, receiver, and DB. If a QB fits the offense well and is developed well then a lightly-recruited QB can turn out good in college.

But yeah, that being said, I still think we need to see this staff start to win more recruiting battles. QB included. Would be far from a can't-miss signing.

Completely agree. I would even say that people think more of Manning and Brady when they see pocket passer. Luck is more of a passer but can beat you with his legs. I feel like people see pocket passer and assume it's a guy who can't make a defense pay by keeping on a zone read, etc.

Debiase and Fine are both capable of picking up first downs with their legs if that's the right move. So yeah, definitely varying degrees of pro-style and dual-threat guys.

Just a dissappointing weekend with only 1 or 2 commits. Still being patient, but was hoping for more.

And I gotta think a 5'10" listing really means 5'8" or maybe 5'9". 

I was just hoping for a lot more from this staff than recruiting kids with no other FBS offers. Maybe we get a surprise this week, but the clock is ticking...

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

10 hours ago, Marty said:

How tall is Littrell? Mason looks as tall if not taller than him in that pic.

I saw that also and looked up Littrell's stats at OU.  He was listed as 5'10" so I would guess Fine is closing in on 6'.  Someone mentioned Fine is a more refined QB than Shafer out of Canadian.  Please expand.