Mason Fine QB Locust Grove OK - SIGNED LOI

TravisUNT

11 hours ago, MeanGreen22 said:

I'm sold. I want this kid on the team. He has passion and desire that will overcome his height. I just love how he puts such an emphasis on wanting to continue to improve and prove people wrong. 

I think I'm warming up to him too. Anything under a legit five ten can be a little worrisome, but we are talking the college game and not the NFL. Hell, I grew close to two inches in my early 20's and have known people in their late teens who grew more than that. Let him sit next year and grow in more ways than one.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, TravisUNT said:

Good kid. Big arm and accurate. Lays it in pretty. Not the quickest release and sometimes if the first option isn't open he'll scramble instead of checking down. His height is the big knock on him no one questions his work or athleticism. He isn't going to get any taller. So he doesn't have the physical "upside" everyone wants. That's why he hasn't been recruited by anyone. A lot of people think he is a system QB but I've seen him and he is more than that. It's just the height and you can name some QB's that have overcome it but most do not. That's his OWN knock.   

Thank you for the run down of his skills, but why do you think he isn't going to get any taller.  Many young men do not stop growing until their early 20's.

9 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Thank you for the run down of his skills, but why do you think he isn't going to get any taller.  Many young men do not stop growing until their early 20's.

You're right I'm not psychic he could but I doubt it would be dramatic. Neither Dale and Terrah Fine are above 5'9".

He's parents

• Upvote 1

Thanks.  I was curious, since you seem to know him, if his parents were vertically challenged.  Heck of a player.  I would love to see him at UNT, but I think I would also go after Brewer, Debiase and Shafer to secure a second QB just in case.

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, TravisUNT said:

Let me rephrase that. That his numbers are him throwing deep balls to Jason Pyrtle running underneath kids who couldn't cover him in small 3A OK school districts wear kids play both ways. 

UNT is now recruiting Pirtle too. They have great interest in him. 

Edited by Mean_Green09
  • Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, greenit said:

FWIW, Pirtle recently committed to Emporia State.

So, it seemingly appeared that Harrell could have had Burns if he would have offered, and he chose Fine.  Seem about right?

Well Fine announced the day after Burns announced he was shutting down his recruiting. Who really knows? I've learned recruiting is a dirty game and it depends on who's telling the story. 

Does it matter? Cause he's the one who's coming.

• Upvote 2

Doesn't matter in the long run since Fine is coming and Burns isn't, but would be interesting to know how the coaches rated them.  Moot point I suppose.

Travis, have you heard if it is a scholarship or PWO?  The announcement did not specifically say.

Edited by greenit