Mason Fine QB Locust Grove OK - SIGNED LOI

TravisUNT

14 minutes ago, Mean_Green09 said:

He runs an Air Raid offense. Its Air Raid principles. He has tweaked it to fit the talent and personnel every where he has been. Its not the Leach Air Raid, but the principles and language are pretty much the same. He has said it and its been documented at almost every stop that Littrell runs an air raid offense. 

I think we are arguing semantics, I don't disagree that he takes Air Raid principles or thoughts and applies them into his offensive philosophy.  However, to say he runs the Air Raid offense isn't true.  Kind of like Baylor, and now Tulsa they both use lots of principles of Air Raid but neither claim to run the Air Raid offense.  I would say we both have a good grasp of our stance we are just stating it differently. 

31 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

I think we are arguing semantics, I don't disagree that he takes Air Raid principles or thoughts and applies them into his offensive philosophy.  However, to say he runs the Air Raid offense isn't true.  Kind of like Baylor, and now Tulsa they both use lots of principles of Air Raid but neither claim to run the Air Raid offense.  I would say we both have a good grasp of our stance we are just stating it differently. 

When People think Air raid they think Pass-Happy. The easy way to put it is Washington State offense vs UNC offense in 2014 and 2015. I expect we will be much closer to UNC.

These are the season totals in attempts:

2015 UNC: Run 527   Pass 409

2015 WSU: Run 294   Pass 738

2014 UNC Run 587   Pass 509

2014 WSU Run 266   Pass 510

Edited by Eagle-96
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Makes sense now but didn't even consider that we was Native American. Apparently he is an enrolled member of the Cherokee nation. Can't think of many Native American football players. Jim Thorpe and Sam Bradford come to mind.

Sonny Sixkiller!!! Member of the Cherokee Nation.

He was listed as 5' 11" 171 coming out of high school in Oregon, but he was born near where Fine is from in Oklahoma.

He had a great career as QB for the University of Washington. 

Sixkiller is now a sports commentator and was also in the original The Longest Yard.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Eagle-96 said:

When People think Air raid they think Pass-Happy. The easy way to put it is Washington State offense vs UNC offense in 2014 and 2015. I expect we will be much closer to UNC.

These are the season totals in attempts:

2015 UNC: Run 527   Pass 409

2015 WSU: Run 294   Pass 738

2014 UNC Run 587   Pass 509

2014 WSU Run 266   Pass 510

The Air Raid has evolved into a lot of things. Dana Holgerson runs the Air Raid.

WVU ran it 60% of the time this year. TCU runs an Air Raid offense, but they run it effectively. 

These Leach disciples are taking the concepts and tweaking it. I really dont think we have any idea what our offense will look like next year. The best player on offense is Wilson by far. So Littrell will probably feature him, but this is his first head gig so he may chuck it 60 times a game. Its all a guessing game for now.

9 minutes ago, casual fan said:

Sonny Sixkiller!!! Member of the Cherokee Nation.

He was listed as 5' 11" 171 coming out of high school in Oregon, but he was born near where Fine is from in Oklahoma.

He had a great career as QB for the University of Washington. 

Sixkiller is now a sports commentator and was also in the original The Longest Yard.

Very cool. If you haven't already, check out the Radiolab episode about the Carlisle Indian School football team. 

Jim Plunkett was another great Native American QB. 

Edited by ChristopherRyanWilkes
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Welcome to UNT Mason.  You made a great decision and we are looking forward to many years of success under your leadership.

You will be learning from men that won 3 national titles and 1 Super Bowl as players. Littrell, Harrell, and Morris know what it takes to win it all.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, dd992emo said:

I've only seen them play once, against Sequoyah (who used to beat us like a red-headed stepchild). I hate to be obscure, but Pirtle reminds me a LOT of Howard Twilley. For those of you under the age of 60, Twilley was a receiver out of Tulsa University who set all kinds of NCAA receiving records in the mid-60s when Tulsa ran what would now be called Air Raid. Runner up for the Heisman one year. You could time him in the 100 yd dash (they didn't do the 40 back then) with a calendar, but if the pass was within 15 feet of him he caught it.

Pirtle is a good route runner and breaks off routes very well when the QB gets flushed. Excellent hands, great team guy, feeds off of Fine. Threw a D1 block to spring Fine on a scramble in the game I saw. De-cleated a LB.

I'm a little reticent to say it would be great to see them together in college, just because I think both of them will benefit more from adapting to other players.

I saw/read some where they say Pirtle is like a 4.8 kind of WR? I haven't been able to find any of this tape or anything.

Is he a bigger WR? Speed guy? or blend? I read that Fine would sometimes just throw it up to him in double coverage and he could go get it, also Ive read they played at a small 3A school, so I'm assuming that is comparable to our 3A or is even smaller?

One thing i do like and hope, is that we do land Pirtle.. Even if Fine RS(redshirts, sorry not sure if people know that here but i figure most people do) and Pirtle plays it maybe good for Fine.. I just think bringing in Pirtle, with Fine will make him more comfortable when he does play, and also someone to practice/train with... 

Last but not least, I kinda think it could be like Romo/Witten.. how Parcells made them roomates in Training Camp and it helped Romo grow knowing where and what other WR/TE/RB do on plays and Witten is his safety blanket just like Pirtle could be.. Hopefully this all makes sense 

• Upvote 1

Just now, MEANGREENCOACH2 said:

Give pirtle the preferred walk on status and see if that can sway him.  Not sure you go full Scholls on the kid.

I keep seeing people saying offer people a PWO, I thought every year you can only bring in 25 guys on a scholarship per recruiting period, and if he is a PWO and then gets a scholarship after fall-practice he would then count against the 2017 class correct? Also, i think Pirtle if anything, he comes in and helps Fine adjust, and at worst he is just another body if he just can't play and i'm pretty sure we have a few of those on this team already.

But say we only use 15 of the scholarships this year, we don't have 10 roll over to next year or do they roll over meaning we would have 35 to use? I just view it as offer the kids scholarships bring them in see what happens.. I thought for the Liberty QB they should have offered to him, and then 1 or 2 of his teammates to help persuade him.

38 minutes ago, TravisUNT said:

Thanks for the information that his visit was an unofficial visit. Once you said that it became very easy to piece everything else together.

Next question is, why the blueshirt? I've said it before, but the reason that doesn't make a whole lot of sense is because that's a move used to save space in a large class. Space is one thing we seem to have. 

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Thanks for the information that his visit was an unofficial visit. Once you said that it became very easy to piece everything else together.

Next question is, why the blueshirt? I've said it before, but the reason that doesn't make a whole lot of sense is because that's a move used to save space in a large class. Space is one thing we seem to have. 

Yeah it confuses me as well. But it may just be me being optimistic. But I feel like they could potential have a couple more like Cody Hayes. Under the radar prospects we haven't mentioned. Then I get the feeling they want to keep several openings for guys that fall thru the cracks like Mcnair last year. Then also I think they wanna keep a couple schollys incase they find another grad transfer or two. The Marchie  Murdock kid from Illinois would be interesting.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Yeah it confuses me as well. But it may just be me being optimistic. But I feel like they could potential have a couple more like Cody Hayes. Under the radar prospects we haven't mentioned. Then I get the feeling they want to keep several openings for guys that fall thru the cracks like Mcnair last year. Then also I think they wanna keep a couple schollys incase they find another grad transfer or two. The Marchie  Murdock kid from Illinois would be interesting.

It doesn't makes sense either. You only blue shirt if you have a full class. It seems like a PWO and he didn't announce it and it blew up and now has to clarity. I mean scout and rivals and 247 has it as an offer so that's kinda embarrassing for both parties. You'd probably have to ask Vito how that went done. If he was led to believe that it was scholly in the first interview or he just assumed and now they are saying could sign or possible blueshirt to sound nice. Cause right now that's a PWO.

7 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Great find and article. I am starting to like this offer more and more. Sounds like we won't even have to use an immediate scholarship on him and there is very little risk to possible very high reward. 

28 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Great find and article. I am starting to like this offer more and more. Sounds like we won't even have to use an immediate scholarship on him and there is very little risk to possible very high reward. 

Yea... It's called a PWO. Until there is some clarity that's what this is. They "could sign him or give him a scholly later" that's super ambiguous at best. I'm surprise you guys aren't more upset. You don't have a scholarship QB yet in this class. 

The article literally says " Players who follow that route report with the rest of a team’s preferred walk-ons in the fall with the understanding that they will be awarded a scholarship LATER in their careers." Later... Maybe... If you play well... Like a Preferred Walk On... I mean this is super crazy. He is listed on EVERY recruiting website as offered by UNT. Does NO ONE think this is crazy? 

Edited by TravisUNT
mistype
  • Upvote 1

That I would understand but there are NCAA rules about taking financial and academic scholarships away from others when you would or should have an athletic one especially if you are getting Government Finacial Aid.

That would be like you taking a full scholarship class and letting the Cherokee Nation pay for the tuition for the rest of your class if you take all Cherokees. You can see how that could go bad right?

3 hours ago, TravisUNT said:

Yea... It's called a PWO. Until there is some clarity that's what this is. They "could sign him or give him a scholly later" that's super ambiguous at best. I'm surprise you guys aren't more upset. You don't have a scholarship QB yet in this class. 

The article literally says " Players who follow that route report with the rest of a team’s preferred walk-ons in the fall with the understanding that they will be awarded a scholarship LATER in their careers." Later... Maybe... If you play well... Like a Preferred Walk On... I mean this is super crazy. He is listed on EVERY recruiting website as offered by UNT. Does NO ONE think this is crazy? 

It's Bizarre.  I'm glad we have you guys that keep up with it so heavily to rifle through it all.

Rick

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

It's Bizarre.  I'm glad we have you guys that keep up with it so heavily to rifle through it all.

Rick

The thing is I really like Mason and I think he is good kid and a good player but it's starting to seem like he's leading people to believe something that isn't true with the "well I didn't exactly say that" kinda verbiage and to me or looks bad. When Bleacher Report runs an article about your first offer you should probably mention if it's scholly or not.