Mason Fine QB Locust Grove OK - SIGNED LOI

TravisUNT

2 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Guess this guy was wrong. Tweet came out two minutes before we announced fine. I thought we established Pirtle would be a PWO

Yeah, we wouldn't be able to Tweet it if it wasn't official. Another article someone posted made it sound like they wouldn't sign today either. I guess at least Fine changed his mind. 

20 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Less excited about this add now.

Because he is on scholarship? If he is a future starter, I expect it as a RS sophomore at the earliest, after grabbing another transfer next year + time to recruit another HS QB. Plenty of time to develop.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Aldo said:

Because he is on scholarship? If he is a future starter, I expect it as a RS sophomore at the earliest, after grabbing another transfer next year + time to recruit another HS QB. Plenty of time to develop.

Yes, because of the ship. I think he would have been a terrific PWO. I guess if he doesn't develop and transfers to an FCS, you get the ship back, and it's not like we don't have plenty to spare (also a disappointment), but I just expected better than a one offer HS QB out of Littrell this class. Especially with the opportunity to compete immediately available for a true freshman and an unobstructed path to starting their Sophmore year. 

Very disappointing. 

• Downvote 4

4 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Yes, because of the ship. I think he would have been a terrific PWO. I guess if he doesn't develop and transfers to an FCS, you get the ship back, and it's not like we don't have plenty to spare (also a disappointment), but I just expected better than a one offer HS QB out of Littrell this class. Especially with the opportunity to compete immediately available for a true freshman and an unobstructed path to starting their Sophmore year. 

Very disappointing. 

Apparently Graham Harrell likes this kid a lot. I think Graham Harrell knows a thing or two about what it takes to be a QB in an Air Raid offense. But maybe that's just me.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Very disappointing. 

QB's commit way to early to get some multiple offer kid who you would approve of.  I have a worry about Fine, but I also think he has what it takes to be successful.  Does his size worry me? Sure.  However, if Harrell, and more specifically Littrell think he can ball.  I am in. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, UNT90 said:

Very disappointing. 

I get that. But if it's true he received an OU PWO, I would guess our hands were tied as our PWO would not compare.

After reviewing his film and stats, this isn't just some offer. As nice as it would have been to have a plan A and plan B (other HS QB + Fine), we could not compete during these few short weeks of recruiting for a position that typically gets wrapped up very early.

My expectations weren't very high due to the time crunch, (and lack of a class whatsoever to begin with), and so far we're doing ok.

His size does not worry me, his film shows he can get it done.

• Upvote 1

Just now, GMG24 said:

QB's commit way to early to get some multiple offer kid who you would approve of.  I have a worry about Fine, but I also think he has what it takes to be successful.  Does his size worry me? Sure.  However, if Harrell, and more specifically Littrell think he can ball.  I am in. 

Oh, I know, but the hope was our situation of immediate playing time, change to a more QB friendly staff, and the magical recruiting powers of Littrell and the new OC would flip a QB. Because players flip, even QBs. 

Disappointing this didn't happen. Anyone who says otherwise is lying .

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

6 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

What was your position on Canales and if he knew a thing or two about QBs?

Good man. Terrible coach. Struck gold with Philip Rivers(obviously not everyone is an NFL caliber QB). I think he tried to play to the QB's strengths that Mac would allow him. Graham Harrell played in the system, knows the physical/mental requirements to play QB in the system because he did it himself. It makes him infinitely more attractive as a QB coach. 

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

Very disappointing. 

Ironic coming from you. QB's typically don't linger around until the last 2-4 weeks to commit. Teams know they are intricate pieces to their never ending puzzle so they lock them in as soon as they possibly can. I like Fine. I think he fits the Air Raid offense quite well. 

4 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Ironic coming from you. QB's typically don't linger around until the last 2-4 weeks to commit. Teams know they are intricate pieces to their never ending puzzle so they lock them in as soon as they possibly can. I like Fine. I think he fits the Air Raid offense quite well. 

Right. Because player ls never flip. We just flipped a kid committed to Texas St. Are you saying that the QB position is impervious to the flip? 

• Downvote 1

25 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Typically, a lot of times, yes. They commit very early and way more often than not they usually hold true. 

Not true. At all. See below that flipped this weekend. Warming, it'll drive some of you bat s#%+ crazy:

http://sportsnola.com/recruiting-quarterback-johnathan-brantley-commits-tulane-2016/

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, UNT90 said:

Not true. At all. See below that flipped this weekend. Warming, it'll drive some of you bat s#%+ crazy:

http://sportsnola.com/recruiting-quarterback-johnathan-brantley-commits-tulane-2016/

His offense (of which I like) needs a runner of the football moreso than a thrower of it. Our offense is more demanding talent wise. His O can run with relatively smooth with a CB behind center. Therefore, recruiting his brand of QB makes it that much easier.  

Just now, Ben Gooding said:

His offense (of which I like) needs a runner of the football moreso than a thrower of it. Our offense is more demanding talent wise. His O can run with relatively smooth with a CB behind center. Therefore, recruiting his brand of QB makes it that much easier.  

"His" offense isn't the triple option. Take a look at that guy's size and HS numbers. Tell me we wouldn't kill to have that kid, because Littrell needs a dual threat, also. 

Point was QBs flip. And none flipped to UNT.

And that is VERY disappointing.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, UNT90 said:

"His" offense isn't the triple option. Take a look at that guy's size and HS numbers. Tell me we wouldn't kill to have that kid, because Littrell needs a dual threat, also. 

Point was QBs flip. And none flipped to UNT.

And that is VERY disappointing.

I didn't say they didn't flip. 

90, get over yourself. We don't have Fritz. 

1 hour ago, MGNation92 said:

Good man. Terrible coach. Struck gold with Philip Rivers(obviously not everyone is an NFL caliber QB). I think he tried to play to the QB's strengths that Mac would allow him. Graham Harrell played in the system, knows the physical/mental requirements to play QB in the system because he did it himself. It makes him infinitely more attractive as a QB coach. 

Chico was trying to run a lot of the power spread concepts and up tempo that we will run next year, but what we saw was terrible execution caused by either lack of talent at multiple positions or specifically at QB.  Add to that, the reaction of so many on here as well as Mac when people saw how fast we were trying to go and became so focused on TOP.  All I can say is you better get comfortable with going fast and losing the TOP stat this year's team can't execute any better than last year's team.