MGB: Could David Bailiff be a candidate at UTSA?

Brett Vito

1 hour ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

It's probably one of those "I-probably-won't-have-a-job-a-year-from-now-so-I'd-better-git-while-the-gettin's-good" type plays he's making.

Also one of those I can leave Rice where a kid has to be IVY league material to be admitted or I can go to UTSA where they must be able to put their name on a paper to be eligible.  Pretty easy choice if you ask me. 

2 minutes ago, correcamino said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/DonHarris4/status/686617865680637952

Ruh roh. Looks like we aren't as broke or unattractive as GMG would like to believe.

I think its an unattractive job from the standpoint of it being ran down by Cocker, however if I am looking to make some $ and a name for myself I go there and do everything I can to win.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, correcamino said:

Ruh roh. Looks like we aren't as broke or unattractive as GMG would like to believe.

Or your pretty desperate to find someone.

Your candidate pool doesnt deserve that money. We just paid one of the top assistants in CFB close to that. Y'all are bringing in some pretty "meh" candidates. 

Also your AD wants to keep most of the staff, bc you cant afford to raise the assistant pool. How many coaches want to be forced to keep guys who arent "their guys"?

Good for you that someone reported you have a few bucks to spend. We had plenty to more to spend.

We chose to spend wisely and raise our assistants salary too.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

25 minutes ago, MeanGreenRoadrunner said:

There is interest.  Baliff might be looking to coach and play in front of more than 2k people on saturdays.  Not trying to knock Rice, but they are competitive in cusa and no one goes.   Also, it looks like UTSA is ready to offer about 800k/year to the next hire.

MeanGreenRoadRunner, I have a real problem with that orange Eagle you are using. That's an insult to the MG Nation in many ways.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, Aldo said:

Really?

Bailiff has just been meh at Rice. Had a good short run there, but not much consistency. Not sure why he'd be that great of a hire. 

Disagree.  Look at how Rice has historically performed.  I think he'd be head and shoulders (and probably chest and belly) above any of the other candidates that have been mentioned at UTSA.  He will bring in a seasoned staff that already knows the state with the ability to recruit players that were off-limits to him in the past.  If I were Lynn Hickey, I'd throw everything at him to bring him in.

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Disagree.  Look at how Rice has historically performed.  I think he'd be head and shoulders (and probably chest and belly) above any of the other candidates that have been mentioned at UTSA.  He will bring in a seasoned staff that already knows the state with the ability to recruit players that were off-limits to him in the past.  If I were Lynn Hickey, I'd throw everything at him to bring him in.

Saying that it's the best UTSA could get right now is one thing. I'm not saying he's terrible, I'm saying he wouldn't qualify as a big get and UTSA can aim higher.

Seasons (Rice) at or above .500:

4 with a record of 35-18

Below:

5 with a record of 18-53

When he's winning, he wins big. When they slump...

kpF1XIkhu5Nni.gif

Edited by Aldo

47 minutes ago, correcamino said:

Congratulations on working up to what we paid our old coach. Now, please enjoy your moment in our shadow and go away.

giphy.gif

Team Name Annual Guaranteed Compensation Maximum Bonus Guaranteed Salary + Total Incentives
Houston* Tom Herman $1,350,000 $1.370,000 $2,720,000
Texas State Dennis Franchione $425,000 $175,000 $575,000
UNT** Dan McCarney $725,000 $125,000 $850,000
UTEP Sean Kugler $500,000 $606,667 $1,106,667
UTSA Larry Coker $450,000 $110,000 $560,000
Rice David Bailiff $780,243 N/A $780,243
SMU** Chad Morris $2,000,000 N/A $2,000,000
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Congratulations on working up to what we paid our old coach. Now, please enjoy your moment in our shadow and go away.

giphy.gif

Team Name Annual Guaranteed Compensation Maximum Bonus Guaranteed Salary + Total Incentives
Houston* Tom Herman $1,350,000 $1.370,000 $2,720,000
Texas State Dennis Franchione $425,000 $175,000 $575,000
UNT** Dan McCarney $725,000 $125,000 $850,000
UTEP Sean Kugler $500,000 $606,667 $1,106,667
UTSA Larry Coker $450,000 $110,000 $560,000
Rice David Bailiff $780,243 N/A $780,243
SMU** Chad Morris $2,000,000 N/A $2,000,000

Yet he couldnt beat UTSA... 

Edited by UTSAMarineVet09
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, UTSAMarineVet09 said:

Maybe once yall fire Littrel, the replacement coach can beat us again...

Or maybe now that Coker finally lost to us, the cat is outta the bag...

If we cannot beat you guys this upcoming season, there won't be one other FBS program we can beat in 2016. Basically, you'll be what SMU was for us last year. If we couldn't beat them, there was not supposed to be another FBS opponent we could beat. Well, instead Portland State whipped us and we beat UTKFC instead.

I think we have 2 games next year that are almost certainly going to be wins--Bethune-Cookman and @ UTSA.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, UTSAMarineVet09 said:

Yet he couldnt beat UTSA... 

Y'all come over here bragging about your salary, and when you get called on it you change the subject.  Yes, McCarney underperformed, but you don't even have the guy he couldn't beat anymore.  Go troll somewhere else.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, untjim1995 said:

Or maybe now that Coker finally lost to us, the cat is outta the bag...

If we cannot beat you guys this upcoming season, there won't be one other FBS program we can beat in 2016. Basically, you'll be what SMU was for us last year. If we couldn't beat them, there was not supposed to be another FBS opponent we could beat. Well, instead Portland State whipped us and we beat UTKFC instead.

I think we have 2 games next year that are almost certainly going to be wins--Bethune-Cookman and @ UTSA.

Yeah... I remember yall saying that the first year we played... oh and the second year and look what happened. 

• Downvote 4

Just now, UTSAMarineVet09 said:

Yeah... I remember yall saying that the first year we played... oh and the second year and look what happened. 

You guys outplayed us the first year in Denton, no doubt. And the next year, you were just better than us. This year, we outplayed you guys in Denton. This upcoming year, we look to be better than you guys and your coaching situation is in disarray, which is why I think we will even the series.

Look, I don't hate you guys. I think its nice to have an instate rivalry finally. We both need to do a lot of improvement in the years to come to get out of the level of rankings that suggest we cannot beat FCS teams week-in and week-out. Right now, as well as with UTEP, the three of us are all really, really terrible football programs in need of some serious improvements.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, UTSAMarineVet09 said:

I can't remember who asked about the past? I am talking about the present.  We beat you with an interim HC, a team who gave up vs an FCS (also recording worse loss to FCS by D1 team) yet still managed to beat you.  No excuses y'all just sucked.  It is ok bud. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Y'all come over here bragging about your salary, and when you get called on it you change the subject.  Yes, McCarney underperformed, but you don't even have the guy he couldn't beat anymore.  Go troll somewhere else.

Dont confuse bragging with correcting someone. 

2 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

I can't remember who asked about the past? I am talking about the present.  We beat you with an interim HC, a team who gave up vs an FCS (also recording worse loss to FCS by D1 team) yet still managed to beat you.  No excuses y'all just sucked.  It is ok bud. 

If thats the case, then our game in 2015 is also in the past...

Edited by UTSAMarineVet09
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3