Reason Littrell Scares Me

Matt Turney

It's a bit of a stretch but I am afraid this is a comfortable hire for Rick V. Fedora was at S Miss and thus has ties to Rick. I mean really how did Luttrell even get on the radar????  

I keep hearing this is the presidents hire but any ties to current ad scare me. 

Luttrell is not a coordinator. He's not associate head coach. He's the "assistant head coach for offense" everyone on the UNC has a blown up title. 

Edited by Matt Turney
  • Upvote 9
  • Downvote 26

It's a bit of a stretch but I am afraid this is a comfortable hire for Rick V. Fedora was at S Miss and thus has ties to Rick. I mean really how did Luttrell even get on the radar????  

Luttrell is not a coordinator. He's not associate head coach. He's the "assistant head coach for offense" everyone on the UNC has a blown up title. 

Matt, you do realize your post could throw this board into total chaos.

• Upvote 3

He calls the plays, that is all that matters. You can label anybody you want OC, but who actually calls the plays, because that is what matters. He runs the offense, please stop.

No, it is who designs the plays and creates the offensive game plan that matters.  Hopefully, whoever NT hires can do that; not many HC's call plays.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

This has already been discussed, check out Cerebrus's thread on the matter. Regardless, he was the "official" offensive coordinator for some prolific offenses at Indiana. 

Hopefully he wasn't at IU when we beat them...

• Upvote 3

Every time you hire a coach who has never been a head coach at your level before you are taking a risk.  That is why my first choice was and still is Willie Fritz, he has built programs and recruited at every level from JUCO to FBS.  

Littrell has never been "The Man" before, we will find out if he can hire a staff and direct them well enough to build a great program.  Thing is, neither had Meacham.   It may be residual Mike Leach love that makes me give Littrell a higher grade that Meacham, but I do think he would be a good hire.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

No, it is who designs the plays and creates the offensive game plan that matters.  Hopefully, whoever NT hires can do that; not many HC's call plays.  

He runs the offense, he is over the two co-coordinators. They assist with the game plan.

He was also the OC at Indiana and Arizona. I'm sure it's heavily influenced by Leach and Fedora, but it's HIS offense.

He wasn't.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I see no reason why a new poster like Matt deserves 10 negatives for expressing his concern. It isn't like he started bashing anyone. I don't share this concern about Littrell, but I also don't see any reason to slap him with a negative either. Welcome to the board Matt.

• Upvote 12
  • Downvote 8

Spend 15 minutes searching this board and you'll have your answers.  This would be an OUTSTANDING hire.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Wow it's amazing how quickly some people forget our past. We could use 5 more Matts in the trenches right now. Guys these are valid concerns from someone who has been through the process and knows a thing or two about being recruited. I think the Littrell will be a great hire and his offensive prowess will speak for itself with recruits.

Edited by Eagle-96
  • Upvote 1

Wow!   18 -1's for a former letterman.  I'm sure every one of them came from people who did not know that.

Though I don't agree with his concerns, I welcome any former player's opinions.

Nope.  He was in his final season as OC at Arizona.  Joined the Indiana staff in 2012.  He was gone to UNC by the time we got rolled up there last season, so we haven't seen him before.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2