Norm Chow Out At Hawaii

DeepGreen

According to football scoop, Norm Chow is out.

Will RV's excise be, "too many programs need coaches now and not enough candidates for UNT. We just gonna give the job to Coach Canales. He's our best option. He did get us in the win column".

Edited by DeepGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

According to football scoop, Norm Chow is out.

Will RV's excise be, "too many programs need coaches now and not enough candidates for UNT. We just gonna give the job to Coach Canales. He's our best option. He did get us in the win column".

What worries me is Canales is the easy choice. RV is all about easy. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Update- latest from Football Scoop.

Hawaii: June Jones Honolulu Star-Advertiser that he intends to seek the head job at Hawaii.

It was supposed to be his retirement getaway around 1998 when he left the Chargers for a nice no stress gig in Honolulu.  Then he accidentally started winning.  He's like a freaking demigod out there.  They tried to get the Hawaii state government involved when he left for SMU.  I don't know what exactly they were trying to do, but they really, really, really wanted him to stay.  He can coach there, never win another game, and the locals will still worship the ground he walks on.

Funny thing, if he hadn't come to Dallas and made a total ass of himself, I'd probably be a huge fan of his.  

It was supposed to be his retirement getaway around 1998 when he left the Chargers for a nice no stress gig in Honolulu.  Then he accidentally started winning.  He's like a freaking demigod out there.  They tried to get the Hawaii state government involved when he left for SMU.  I don't know what exactly they were trying to do, but they really, really, really wanted him to stay.  He can coach there, never win another game, and the locals will still worship the ground he walks on.

Funny thing, if he hadn't come to Dallas and made a total ass of himself, I'd probably be a huge fan of his.  

What are you talking about? I am a huge fan of his because he did come to Dallas and make a huge ass of himself. It's hard not to applaud anyone that buries SMU. 

• Upvote 5

June Jones to Hawaii makes total sense for both parties. Good move.

UCF ain't hiring Dan McCarney--nobody is as a head coach.

UNT hiring Chico would be such a give-up, its not even funny. Just because he has managed to beat UTSA, at home by a TD, when they have their 4th and 5th string QBs playing, doesn't exactly mean that he should stay. Chico has watched over two dead-cat bounces because of flawed and very-flawed head coaches that had him as their OC. That's not extension worthy anywhere else...which is exactly why its probably a top option here.

Somaon linemen?  Haven't I seen you mention there's a big Pacific Islander population in Euless?

There is a big population there, literally in terms of human size and a pretty big Pacific Islander immigrant community. Though immigrant is probably the wrong characterization since I think that influx began decades ago.

Norm Chow is Exhibit A of how a hot coaching commodity takes a huge fall.  When USC was having its run in the early aughts, he was all the rage. 

Then, he went to the NFL, hired by the Tennessee Titans to try to teach football to Vince Young.  After that failure, he piddled around at UCLA, but never really got them going the way USC had.  After a one year stint as Utah's OC, he was hired by Hawaii, where he was fired midway through fourth season after compiling a 10-36 record, 4-25 in conference.