UNT athletic director under fire

Coach Andy Mac

I look forward with interest to seeing Dale Hansen and/or Newey Scruggs get ahold of the banner story. If UNT still merits some time on their shows.

I see Dale Hanson making fun of UNT   and talking about how banners are stupid. Hope I'm wrong.

Newey Scruggs is aware of the banner. It will be interesting to see if he does anything. 

• Upvote 3

I see Dale Hanson making fun of UNT   and talking about how banners are stupid. Hope I'm wrong.

Newey Scruggs is aware of the banner. It will be interesting to see if he does anything. 

I see Dale Hanson taking the attitude of: "UNT has a new stadium. They should be thankful. Who do they think they are? They shouldn't expect anything better than that"

That is an attitude that is prevalent toward UNT and a big problem. It's also an attitude that keeps RV's big pay check coming. 

How dare little UNT expect anything better. 

• Upvote 6

I see Dale Hanson taking the attitude of: "UNT has a new stadium. They should be thankful. Who do they think they are? They shouldn't expect anything better than that"

That is an attitude that is prevalent toward UNT and a big problem. It's also an attitude that keeps RV's big pay check coming. 

How dare little UNT expect anything better. 

Ya, if he does anything, I think this will be the tone. 

Although I expect him to do nothing. 

I don't think he'd mock the school his daughter attended in the '80s.

When I was at The Daily she got mad at us for an editorial we did about her dad. He had shown a clip of Robin Givens talking about her troubled marriage to Mike Tyson and joked, "Now if my wife said that about me on national TV, I'd slap her upside the head too."

• Upvote 3

I don't think he'd mock the school his daughter attended in the '80s.

When I was at The Daily she got mad at us for an editorial we did about her dad. He had shown a clip of Robin Givens talking about her troubled marriage to Mike Tyson and joked, "Now if my wife said that about me on national TV, I'd slap her upside the head too."

Dale has learned a lot since then. Just ask Ellen...

As a followup to my comment, I was curious whether Hansen's daughter got her degree from UNT.

She did. Terre (Hansen) Evans graduated with a bachelor's in criminal justice and corrections and a master's in education and is now a Dallas ISD assistant principal and former teacher:

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/terre-evans/52/400/778

Dale Hansen set up a scholarship foundation at UNT in 2006:

http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth145350/m1/5/

In the print version of this story that I got this morning RV says that Dodge "probably would have been successful if he had brought in coordinators with college experience".

Let's see, isn't that part of his job to point out something as obvious as that? That's like giving someone a car to drive and they say "how do I get this thing out of the driveway and into the street?" But you leave them to figure it out on their own..

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

In the print version of this story that I got this morning RV says that the Dodge "probably would have been successful if he had brought in coordinators with college experience".

Let's see, isn't that part of his job to point out something as obvious as that? That's like giving someone a car to drive and they say "how do I get this thing out of the driveway and into the street?" But you leave them to figure it out on their own..

In the boilerplate resumes for Division 1 Athletic Directors that have been posted in other threads a while back, successfully hiring and staffing coaches and the department appears to be "Job 1".

So as not to take up a lot of space here, I'll just provide a link for reference. http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonbelzer/2015/02/19/the-dynamic-role-of-the-modern-day-college-athletics-director/

Ya, if he does anything, I think this will be the tone. 

Although I expect him to do nothing. 

A lot of what Dale has done seems to me to be "tongue in cheek". His persona is such that I sometimes have to think about what he really is saying. Or maybe I was just under the alfluence of incohol at the time and a little slow on the uptake.

Edited by EagleMBA
  • Upvote 1

I think you underestimate the power of personal manipulation. 

I don't think they all think the same way of RV, but what is clear is the majority support him.

Otherwise he would have been fired along with DMac right after the worst loss in college football history. 

I'm not so sure about that. I'm not one of those people, and I don't run in those circles, but I would imagine not all of them do. When you get into these situations, there is likely some modicum of dignity associated with a removal such as that. Some of the moneyed and scholarly types may see a problem with donating to a fairly straight forward message such as flying a banner. Especially when there is much more to lose business wise, friendship wise, etc. That type of action is normally left to our class. It becomes more of a veiled process to them. UT is just one example. There might be more going on than us peons know. It would not surprise me if we got to a logical break when perhaps a little pressure for a resignation may occur, when those and the higher ups have found or selected a successor. But, I'm just spit balling.

I'm not so sure about that. I'm not one of those people, and I don't run in those circles, but I would imagine not all of them do. When you get into these situations, there is likely some modicum of dignity associated with a removal such as that. Some of the moneyed and scholarly types may see a problem with donating to a fairly straight forward message such as flying a banner. Especially when there is much more to lose business wise, friendship wise, etc. That type of action is normally left to our class. It becomes more of a veiled process to them. UT is just one example. There might be more going on than us peons know. It would not surprise me if we got to a logical break when perhaps a little pressure for a resignation may occur, when those and the higher ups have found or selected a successor. But, I'm just spit balling.

I agree, and they shouldn't participate in the banner/billboard. That's for the donating class with very little power. People like you and I. 

I think it's a big mistake to think RV doesn't have his supporters among these folks. Believe me, he does. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

One thing that really concerned me in this article. It states that RV asked for and was denied a public vote of confidence. Which would mean that RV knows he's on the way out, yet is still part of the hiring process? That is the worst possible psychology. I hope that anonymous source is wrong, because if that's the case then you have a guy looking for candidates for a job that knows he will be fired. Just awful to consider.

• Upvote 4

One thing that really concerned me in this article. It states that RV asked for and was denied a public vote of confidence. Which would mean that RV knows he's on the way out, yet is still part of the hiring process? That is the worst possible psychology. I hope that anonymous source is wrong, because if that's the case then you have a guy looking for candidates for a job that knows he will be fired. Just awful to consider.

You're absolutely right.  But, I just wonder how much RV REALLY is involved in the hiring process, despite what has been publicly stated.  

• Upvote 4

Not an impossibility but not likely.  It would be bad form on Smatresk's part - both professionally and just plain common sense - to tell RV he's on the way out yet still allow this hire.

• Upvote 1

I agree, and they shouldn't participate in the banner/billboard. That's for the donating class with very little power. People like you and I. 

I think it's a big mistake to think RV doesn't have his supporters among these folks. Believe me, he does. 

Oh, I have no doubt. I just think if I were one of them, I might think of the guy as a friend and not want to participate in calling him out for being bad at something he is doing.

If they are anything like me, I will always donate at my meager level, because I truly believe in the grand scheme of college football, UNT needs donating members and season ticket holders more than any other school in the country regardless of who the AD is. My wife is an Oklahoma grad, so I guess we could give money to them as well, but UNT needs it a whole lot more. They might be in the same position, it's just a little more complicated for them to express that opinion when they and the other donors around them that might be considered friends do not share that same opinion.

The most terrible situation is for our AD to become embattled between any of those classes of people.

• Upvote 1

Oh, I have no doubt. I just think if I were one of them, I might think of the guy as a friend and not want to participate in calling him out for being bad at something he is doing.

If they are anything like me, I will always donate at my meager level, because I truly believe in the grand scheme of college football, UNT needs donating members and season ticket holders more than any other school in the country regardless of who the AD is. My wife is an Oklahoma grad, so I guess we could give money to them as well, but UNT needs it a whole lot more. They might be in the same position, it's just a little more complicated for them to express that opinion when they and the other donors around them that might be considered friends do not share that same opinion.

The most terrible situation is for our AD to become embattled between any of those classes of people.

And I think the most terrible situation is for the current AD to be involved in hiring the next football coach and basketball coach in any way, shape, or form. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Interesting that Smatresk wouldn't give a public vote of confidence. Maybe it is strictly financial that Neil won't can RV. Smatresk might be the one who actually is doing the hiring. RV gets to save face and ride into the sunset when his contract ends.

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 2

Interesting that Smatresk wouldn't give a public vote of confidence. Maybe it is strictly financial that Neil won't can RV. Smatresk might be the one who actually is doing the hiring. RV gets to save face and ride into the sunset when his contract ends.

Bingo we can't afford another buy out. I don't think RV would hire a bad coach just to prove a point.  We need to move on from the firing of RV it won't happen.  We need to move forward.  If you were  coach and were thinking about NTSU (had to do it) and saw these comments would you want to come here?   We are down but not out and better days are in front of us.  I have to believe it, we need to be like the UTEP fans thinking they can still make a bowl game.  

Bingo we can't afford another buy out. I don't think RV would hire a bad coach just to prove a point.  We need to move on from the firing of RV it won't happen.

UNT doesn't have to fire RV immediately to keep him away from hiring the next coach. Schools do it all they time -- they push a departing AD to a new position to serve out his contract. FSU just did it in 2013 by pushing Randy Spetman out as AD and into a "special advisor" position.

We won't move on if RV hires the coach. We'll be in the RV era of football another 3-5 years.

• Upvote 2

UNT doesn't have to fire RV immediately to keep him away from hiring the next coach. Schools do it all they time -- they push a departing AD to a new position to serve out his contract. FSU just did it in 2013 by pushing Randy Spetman out as AD and into a "special advisor" position.

We won't move on if RV hires the coach. We'll be in the RV era of football another 3-5 years.

And at this point, this is what I feel should, and think maybe is, happening.

• Upvote 2

Bingo we can't afford another buy out. I don't think RV would hire a bad coach just to prove a point.  We need to move on from the firing of RV it won't happen.  We need to move forward.  If you were  coach and were thinking about NTSU (had to do it) and saw these comments would you want to come here?   We are down but not out and better days are in front of us.  I have to believe it, we need to be like the UTEP fans thinking they can still make a bowl game.  

Please stop. We can afford another buy out. RV just had friends in high places that are keeping him employed.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1