I am against the Banner

Harry

I disagree with the banner ! I too am a LONG TIME passionate UNT fan, alum and I am also frustrated with the poor management of our football and basketball programs. But I think that the problem includes RV yet  is bigger than RV. The BOR and the Administration have never fully pumped the athletic program the way a Division I University requires in order to be competitive more often than not.  A firm decision from the Board, the President and the Administrative leadership CAN AND WILL put UNT over the top but for some reason (?) they timidly drag their feet.  UNT can win consistently as well as fill Apogee and the Pit regularly and showcase UNT, however  all the Head Coach and AD replacements will only  continue to mean nothing without REAL COMITTMENT from the BOR, President and administrative leadership .  No, I am not for the banner, it's short sighted and misses the larger problem. 

But isn't the banner intended to function as a wake up call for EVERYONE at the top? I mean, the individuals above RV are the ones who are being asked to execute his termination, so I would think that the banner is directed at them more than at just RV.

This culture of accepting athletic mediocrity has just got to stop, and sometimes a little open rebellion is the only way to affect change. I admit that I have somewhat mixed feelings about it, but actions often speak louder than words. Especially when your words are being ignored. 

• Upvote 6

I would love it if there were a very public way to take the money that was set aside for this banner and re-purposed for something productive.  A way for a message to be sent very clearly to RV, Smaetresk, and the BoR saying, "We have such passionate fans that we raised $2,000 in less than 24 hours.  We are a resource you are not adequately tapping and major change is required if you ever want to do so.  We wanted to shame you for your shortcomings, but we have instead chosen to contribute to productive change.  Please do not squander our gift or make us regret our generosity."

I imagine that them seeing these articles about the banner makes them think, "Jeeze, these wackos again.  Thank God we ignore them."  Redirecting the funds to something that is supportive of them would, in my opinion, stand a good chance of altering their perspective.  "Oh, maybe they're more level-headed than I gave them credit for.  They used their frustrations not to spite us, but focused their energy to further the university's cause."

I know many of us have been burned so many times that this seems incredibly far-fetched, but I think the odds of my scenario are still more likely than the likelihood of positive change resulting from this banner flying.

• Upvote 3

But isn't the banner intended to function as a wake up call for EVERYONE at the top? I mean, the individuals above RV are the ones who are being asked to execute his termination, so I would think that the banner is directed at them more than at just RV.

This culture of accepting athletic mediocrity has just got to stop, and sometimes a little open rebellion is the only way to affect change. I admit that I have somewhat mixed feelings about it, but actions often speak louder than words. Especially when your words are being ignored. 

That's exactly what it is. The pro-RV people are going to defend RV to the end of the cliff and even jump if RV says to. This is more about above RV than it is actual RV himself. 

• Upvote 4

I would love it if there were a very public way to take the money that was set aside for this banner and re-purposed for something productive.  A way for a message to be sent very clearly to RV, Smaetresk, and the BoR saying, "We have such passionate fans that we raised $2,000 in less than 24 hours.  We are a resource you are not adequately tapping and major change is required if you ever want to do so.  We wanted to shame you for your shortcomings, but we have instead chosen to contribute to productive change.  Please do not squander our gift or make us regret our generosity."

I imagine that them seeing these articles about the banner makes them think, "Jeeze, these wackos again.  Thank God we ignore them."  Redirecting the funds to something that is supportive of them would, in my opinion, stand a good chance of altering their perspective.  "Oh, maybe they're more level-headed than I gave them credit for.  They used their frustrations not to spite us, but focused their energy to further the university's cause."

I know many of us have been burned so many times that this seems incredibly far-fetched, but I think the odds of my scenario are still more likely than the likelihood of positive change resulting from this banner flying.

Graffiti artists could probably be had for a couple of hundred, but we have far too much class for that.

• Upvote 4

Any potential coach would see this banner and think "oh great-if I screw up then their "fan" base is going to publicly humiliate me the same way" and not even give UNT a second glance.

If that was true, none of the SEC schools would ever get a coach. Living here in Florida, I can say that the fan bases are 100 times tougher on their coaches and ADs in times of adversity than Mean Green Nation has ever been. If you cultivate a fan base in the FBS and convince enough people to care, you're going to catch hell when the team stinks. 

• Upvote 5

Just imagine the feeling of the players, coaches, recruits, coaching candidates, and the general fanbase if you all were to shelve the 'Fire RV' banner and instead fly the banner we flew over SMU's stadium. The amount of positivity that would envelope the program from all those people knowing that we still support them even in the program's darkest hour would likely be amazing. Just an idea.

Good Lord!! Participation ribbons for everybody.

You know what would envelope me with positivity??? RV getting relieved of his AD duties so we can move on from this debacle .

aerobanner.0318138001445547564.gif

Edited by 817Fan
  • Upvote 5

We aren't Texas or A&M. We had maybe 500 fans show up at the start of the Portland State game... on homecoming. Beyond his hires, many people claim about the unprofessionalism of the athletic department- how they aren't motivated to sell tickets or misplace them, when right now is the time we need to be packing as many fans as possible in the stadium. We look at the MGC- 72,000 new alumni yet few in the MGC. Complacency should not be an option. There should be at least 5,000 members in the MGC but there isn't, and that's on the athletic department. 

They can't ignore us like they do TexAgs, or Burnt Orange Nation, because if we don't show up, who will? 

• Upvote 4

Well said @TheTastyGreek, nay, 'nuff said.

But now, I need new eyeballs. And if more than 1 person quotes those planes, so help me...

The medium was, in no small part, a key component of the message. 

But, don't worry. That sucked, and I'll never do it again. 

+1 Bazillion. That was a super effort and encapsulates the major points that have been made. I commend you, Sir.

Now I'm going to sign off and call my eye doctor to make an appointment. Seriously. It has been over a year since I've been to his office  and you can take credit for motivating me.

• Upvote 1

@TheTastyGreek I didn't want to read it at first because it was hard and I like to give up quickly (also because I am still seeing wavy green stripes after reading it).  I'm glad I did, though.  I think you nailed it.  I wish you would alter so it is addressed to the president and I would do everything in my power to hand deliver it to him on game day.

• Upvote 1

@TheTastyGreek I didn't want to read it at first because it was hard and I like to give up quickly (also because I am still seeing wavy green stripes after reading it).  I'm glad I did, though.  I think you nailed it.  I wish you would alter so it is addressed to the president and I would do everything in my power to hand deliver it to him on game day.

If you're trying to imply that airplane banners were potentially not the best way to get my message across to people... Maybe you're right! 

p69xPHc.gif

Fly the banner.  It will be on FOX1 and ESPN. 

No, it won't. It won't even show up on their radar (cheesy aviation joke).

It gets people's attention

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/headlines/20150912-anti-steve-patterson-banner-seen-flying-over-austin-before-longhorns-game-vs.-rice.ece 

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/anti-al-golden-banner-flies-over-miami-fau-game--photos-001632661.html 

That's Texas and Miami. It'll get some play from the NT Daily and maybe the DRC only if Vito feel like he wants to rock the boat.

You people don't get how irrelevant we are in the sports world at the moment.

• Upvote 2

Well, I'm definitely surprised by this. I will say that I don't think this is counterproductive and it shows some people do give a damn. Are there better ways to show you care? Of course, there will always be better ways. But this is slap in the face to a person who deserves to be slapped, IMO. Go back and read the NTdaily interview with RV and then think about the banner.

• Upvote 5