Are we back in Dickey days

H-towngreen

Don't get too wound up, in all the Dickey years we only beat two teams that finished that season with a winning record if I remember correctly. 

But RV should have spun off those bowl years some real momentum but he did not. 

But it looks like it will be us against the them again, so I would be fine with four Conference Championships in a row again. 

http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/coaching/alltime_coach_year_by_year.php?coachid=580

Dickey was not that great dont get selective memory

Dickey was here 9 seasons with only 3 winning seasons

He had 5 seasons of 3 or less wins.

Dickey's overall record was 42/64 witch is only a 39% winning percentage,. 

Mac's winning percentage with UNT at the moment is still higher at 42% not that I am at all happy with what I am seeing on the field and when this season is over Mac's winning percentage will likely as bad as Dickey's or worse.

Dickey was had the worst winning percentage in UNT's history with 4 or more seasons as the Head coach, well up until Dodge. Thank you RV, are you fired yet?

What does that mean?

Meaning, as much as i hate the excuse generally, I really did think he took over in a position where he needed to get his own guys in.  I think he is much better than the 2nd worst coach we've ever had, or whatever the numbers say given his 39% winning percentage.

While we're comparing stats let's compare those that actually matter:

Number of $78 million stadiums to recruit to: Mac- 1, Dickey- 0

Assistant coach salaries at a legitimate D1 level: Mac- All of them, Dickey- None

Seasons where the coach lived off inherited talent: Mac- 3, Dickey- 0

Seasons where the coach won with talent he recruited: Mac-0, Dickey- 4

Seasons where the coach grew the fan base (including many who still post on this board today): Mac- Unknown, Dickey- 4

Conference titles: Mac- 0, Dickey- 4

So nobody is saying Dickey was Knute Rockne...he'd just WIPE THE FLOOR with a Mac team if given the same resources and time.

I am not trying to promote Mac, and Dickey had the same resources those before him had and some more.

I think we should expect much more than what we have seen with either coach. Our history was much richer in wins to point we still have a winning record despite the last 20 or more  years we are at 493-478-35  coming into this season which I guess makes us 493-481-35 but our current path is likely to erase our winning heritage. Thank you RV!

Better facilities combined with the cold hard truth that Mac only won with Teflon Todd's recruits makes it worse than the end of the DD days, IMO. Teflon Todd's era is still the most embarrassing. Did RV hire DD? I don't think he did but I'm not sure.....

I disagree. Dodge didn't have the facilities or slightly upgrade conference that we have today.

This season will mark the lowest point in UNT football history. With a 5th year coach and a 15th year AD.

Will we do GD thing about it?

Most likely, no.

Edited by UNT90

“This isn’t the easiest place in the world to recruit to. This isn’t the easiest place in the world when you have a track record and a lot of years of losing. Just because you put up some cement and some bigger stands, that doesn’t make it easy. Did it happen fast because I came in wearing some big ass ring from Florida or because some people respected what I did at Iowa State? “No. It’s still North Texas. -- Dan McCarney October 13, 2014 

That quote by itself gives me the reason hiring Mac was the wrong move.  Cause Iowa State doesn't matter to local recruits.

While we're comparing stats let's compare those that actually matter:

Number of $78 million stadiums to recruit to: Mac- 1, Dickey- 0

Assistant coach salaries at a legitimate D1 level: Mac- All of them, Dickey- None

Seasons where the coach lived off inherited talent: Mac- 3, Dickey- 0

Seasons where the coach won with talent he recruited: Mac-0, Dickey- 4

Seasons where the coach grew the fan base (including many who still post on this board today): Mac- Unknown, Dickey- 4

Conference titles: Mac- 0, Dickey- 4

So nobody is saying Dickey was Knute Rockne...he'd just WIPE THE FLOOR with a Mac team if given the same resources and time.

So in closing we agree RV the guy who could not find the right combination of coaches and resources to turn the program around show be fired?  Fine then 0 to 4 RV should be gone.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Dickey was self destructive and ultimately killed his own program.  Dodge was simply not really to be a hc at the d1 level. 

Mac was on paper a great counter to those two hires, a charismatic seasoned coach with hc experience.   

I thought he was a very good hire.  Now, I doubt that first impression based on what I have seen this year and last.  

I don't think Mac is failing because of lack of effort or knowledge; he just is not good enough to turn this program around.  As Dickey/McCarney have stated, this is not an easy job, an average coach can't handle it.      

• Upvote 2

Dickey was self destructive and ultimately killed his own program.  Dodge was simply not really to be a hc at the d1 level. 

Mac was on paper a great counter to those two hires, a charismatic seasoned coach with hc experience.   

I thought he was a very good hire.  Now, I doubt that first impression based on what I have seen this year and last.  

I don't think Mac is failing because of lack of effort or knowledge; he just is not good enough to turn this program around.  As Dickey/McCarney have stated, this is not an easy job, an average coach can't handle it.      

So why is this job so hard?   Please tell me because all I hear is a lot of excuses from coaches who can't recruit or coach.  This is no harder job than TCU when it was in CUSA, Boise State when they were in the Big West Conference.  Hell UTSA is now in better shape than UNT right now and that program did not exist before 2000.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Dickey faced much tougher schedules his first 5 years...and still was able to recruit to the worst stadium in FBS to get to a point where he built a top 10 defense, won 25 straight conference games and 4 straight conference championships.

But just in case you have forgotten  what a meat grinder schedule looks like, here's Dickey's OOC opponents his first five years.

1998:...Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Arizona State, Texas A&M, Houston, Kansas.

1999:..UNLV, Texas Tech, LSU, Baylor, TCU.

2000:...Baylor, Texas Tech, UNLV,  K State, ULL.

2001:...TCU, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, South Florida, Troy.

2002:..Texas, Alabama, TCU, Arizona, South Florida.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

So why is this job so hard?   Please tell me because all I hear is a lot of excuses from coaches who can't recruit or coach.  This is no harder job than TCU when it was in CUSA, Boise State when they were in the Big West Conference.  Hell UTSA is now in better shape than UNT right now and that program did not exist before 2000.

I'll give you TCU.  Boise State on the other hand has the advantage of being the only game in town.  There aren't any major metro areas nearby with pro teams that suck up the oxygen -- the Broncos are basically that area's pro team.

There are a lot of advantages to that.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Dickey faced much tougher schedules his first 5 years...and still was able to recruit to the worst stadium in FBS to get to a point where he built a top 10 defense, won 25 straight conference games and 4 straight conference championships.

But just in case you have forgotten  what a meat grinder schedule looks like, here's Dickey's OOC opponents his first five years.

1998:...Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Arizona State, Texas A&M, Houston, Kansas.

1999:..UNLV, Texas Tech, LSU, Baylor, TCU.

2000:...Baylor, Texas Tech, UNLV,  K State, ULL.

2001:...TCU, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, South Florida, Troy.

2002:..Texas, Alabama, TCU, Arizona, South Florida.

Rick

Tech was mediocre at best. Baylor was terrible. Houston and TCU were not 1/10th as good as they are now. South Florida and Troy were 1A newbies and we lost to them both. 

Dickey was not good but he may in fact prove to be better than Mac.  The lack of resources argument is legitimate though. 

Edited by HoustonEagle
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Tech was mediocre at best. Baylor was terrible. Houston and TCU were not 1/10th as good as they are now. South Florida and Troy were 1A upstarts and we lost to them both. 

Dickey was not good but he may in fact prove to be better than Mac.  The lack of resources argument is legitimate though. 

Texas Tech was like a 38 point favorite the year we beat them.  So, they may have been mediocre, but we were definitely not expected to defeat them.  I could give reasons for the other losses, and could point out that some of those other teams were better then than now, so it evens out the ones you dismissed.

Suffice it to say, those were still much tougher OOC slates comparatively to now.  They just were.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1