Tidbits from the podcast

SilverEagle

Northern Arizona is now the reason we have a five home game/12 game with no bye week schedule? What happened to Tulsa being the culprit?

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2015/09/villarreal-tidbits-from-podcast.html/

To be fair, NAU was responsible for only the no bye week part.

Basketball tidbits:

"Johnny struggled through his first five years. Didn't have a winning season. That's not what we can accept anymore."

Not accurate. Johnny had a winning season in his very first year. Took a team that was 4-24 the season before and had a winning season IMMEDIATELY.

Tony won 18 in his second season. But it's still not at a point where we should win 14 games the 3rd year.

Not accurate. Benford only won 16, still didn't crack .500.

"We've got to get to a situation where we're competitive in the top part of the conference. We can't go backwards."

We already have. We're going into year 4 of it, and because of how we've let ourselves get derailed, the next guy may as well be starting from scratch. 

----------

The fact that it's even something being discussed going into a 4th year is inherently proof that we're not serious about our basketball program, or making a sustained identity of success around it. 

WKU fired Matt Kilcullen and Murray Arnold and Ken McDonald, because they REALLY believe that they couldn't go backwards. And all of those guys won NCAA tournament games in their first year. Our coach LOST 20 GAMES, and here we are 3 years later talking nonsense about needing to see some results. 

We're not serious, or this "discussion" would never be happening in the first place. When you're on track, you don't let an idiot derail you. Anyone can make a bad hire... WKU made 3 of them. But they fired them all, and that's why they're a legit program and we're not. 

Basketball tidbits:

Not accurate. Johnny had a winning season in his very first year. Took a team that was 4-24 the season before and had a winning season IMMEDIATELY.

We already have. We're going into year 4 of it, and because of how we've let ourselves get derailed, the next guy may as well be starting from scratch. 

Helps when you have a Chris Davis.   At least Trilli left something for JJ to build with.

I doubt Benford ever cracks .500

SMH...   But coming full circle, at least the new coach should have Combs to work with.

• Upvote 1

This is NAU's schedule for this year.

2015 Northern Arizona Football Schedule

OverallPct.Conf.Pct.StreakHomeAwayNeutral
0-0.0000-0.000-0-00-00-0

DateOpponentNotesResultTime/StatusLinks
Sep. 5at Stephen F. AustinESPN3 4:00 PMPreview Live stats 
Video
Sep. 12N.M. HighlandsHall of Fame 4:00 PMLive stats
Sep. 19at ArizonaPac-12 Network 8:00 PM 
Sep. 26at Montana *ROOT SPORTS 1:00 PM 
Oct. 3Montana State *Family Weekend 4:00 PMLive stats
Oct. 10at UC Davis *  4:00 PM 
Oct. 24Weber State *Homecoming 4:00 PMLive stats
Oct. 31Northern Colorado *  2:00 PMLive stats
Nov. 7at Eastern Washington *  4:05 PM 
Nov. 14Sacramento State *  2:00 PMLive stats
Nov. 21at Southern Utah *  

3:00 PM

So let me see if I understand this correctly. Northern Arizona dumped us for SFA?  So either SFA offered them a sweeter deal, which speaks volumes about our AD's business acumen, (or the lack thereof), OR, well, come to your own conclusions. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

0-0.0000-0.000-0-00-00-0

Video

So let me see if I understand this correctly. Northern Arizona dumped us for SFA?  So either SFA offered them a sweeter deal, which speaks volumes about our AD's business acumen, (or the lack thereof), OR, well, come to your own conclusions. 

Yes, many of us are upset when NT schedules two away guarantee games, yet we fault NA for not wanting to play two fb division clubs.   

• Upvote 3

0-0.0000-0.000-0-00-00-0

RV said last night that the reason it fell through is the HC at NA told their AD he would absolutely not play North Texas at which point their AD backed out and signed SFA.

• Upvote 1

0-0.0000-0.000-0-00-00-0

Video

So let me see if I understand this correctly. Northern Arizona dumped us for SFA?  So either SFA offered them a sweeter deal, which speaks volumes about our AD's business acumen, (or the lack thereof), OR, well, come to your own conclusions. RV would 

RV would never lie to the fan base or tell us what we want to hear.  Don't believe me?  Just ask him at the quarterly meeting which will surely be held during halftime of the next game against an attractive opponent that Apogee brought in. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Basketball tidbits:

----------

The fact that it's even something being discussed going into a 4th year is inherently proof that we're not serious about our basketball program, or making a sustained identity of success around it. 

WKU fired Matt Kilcullen and Murray Arnold and Ken McDonald, because they REALLY believe that they couldn't go backwards. And all of those guys won NCAA tournament games in their first year. Our coach LOST 20 GAMES, and here we are 3 years later talking nonsense about needing to see some results. 

We're not serious, or this "discussion" would never be happening in the first place. When you're on track, you don't let an idiot derail you. Anyone can make a bad hire... WKU made 3 of them. But they fired them all, and that's why they're a legit program and we're not. 

The man will literally say anything to shift blame. And he has been here 14 years. What does that say about this university's approach to athletics?

The outright nerve he has to compare what Benford inherited to what JJ inherited is just downright amazing.

Pretty unbelievable, but then I've come to expect nothing less from this AD.

RV said last night that the reason it fell through is the HC at NA told their AD he would absolutely not play North Texas at which point their AD backed out and signed SFA.

it really is just comical at this point. I hope the president of UNT understands how much damage this AD is doing at this point. When you continually lie to people, people really don't want to support anything with which you are connected. 

Honestly, if it wasn't for my seat situation, I would have walked away by now. The university's continued support for a guy that willfully lies about things for which he is responsible is a little much for me.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 8
  • Downvote 4

Basketball tidbits:

----------

save it for the peach basket

oh...right.

now I'm sad. 

• Upvote 4

probably at home playing with wired slinkies
man...that was totally the day GMG peaked. 

So true. AND you could get a 6 month suspension for even pretending to be racist back then. Now you just get upvotes.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2