MGB breaking news -- Florida linebacker enrolls at UNT

Brett Vito

I guess the coaching staff is banking on this kind of thing happening about 20 times for this years class.

It seems likely the staff was excited about the likelihood of this outcome when Mike Grant was interviewed after Friday Night Lights.  Vito may've already caught wind of this as well as he tee'd up Grant asking him about the benefits of being patient in recruiting (beginning around the 1:45 mark)...

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2015/08/mgb-video-mike-grant-talks-about-unt-strategy-following-friday-night-lights.html/

Grant's statement "I can't remember a year that went by that somebody didn't become available and you just sit around saying, 'ah, i wish we had one' (meaning scholarships available)'"

Edited by jdennis82
  • Upvote 2

I guess the coaching staff is banking on this kind of thing happening about 20 times for this years class.

this stuff happens to way more kids than you think every year... I bet we could land 4-5 legit players like this every year... No doubt why do you think juco ball is so tough?? Spots fill up, kid qualifies late, no more ships, gotta go juco then re open recruitment.

• Upvote 1

Kevin Patrick is absolutely relentless. Best recruiter on this staff, IMO. This wasn't necessarily q great job of recruiting, in the sense that it doesn't sound like we out recruited any schools at the time of his recruitment to UNT, but that's an outstanding job of finding a kid like this in another state.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Kevin Patrick is absolutely relentless. Best recruiter on this staff, IMO. This wasn't necessarily q great job of recruiting, in the sense that it doesn't sound like we out recruited any schools at the time of his recruitment to UNT, but that's an outstanding job of finding a kid like this in another state.

Agreed. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It's a good question.  Remember when we didn't have a 'ship available when Demetrius Cain (juco LB) was ready to commit right around signing day?  Somehow one became available between then and now.

if I had to guess from reading everything recently reported. I remember something about one guy not being qualified yet that we were waiting on and some speculated here is was Grindle. Maybe they found out that mystery player did in fact not qualify thus this ship opened up.

if I had to guess from reading everything recently reported. I remember something about one guy not being qualified yet that we were waiting on and some speculated here is was Grindle. Maybe they found out that mystery player did in fact not qualify thus this ship opened up.

https://mobile.twitter.com/XGrindle/status/627911919060549632

https://mobile.twitter.com/WKUGordonFord/status/630045283183906816

hmm seems to be conflicting data, maybe a buddy of his goes to WKU