Smatresk talks commencement choice

There was a peaceful protest by the anti-Abbotters and some guy came up and told the protestors to go back to their own country. He finished by doing the Nazi salute.

So, did the "peaceful protesters" throw the first punch or did the idiot giving the Nazi salute? Free speech, as stupid as it is at times, should go both ways...can't have only one side to "free" speech.

What country did the idiot want them to go back too.....Oklahoma?

Have you seen the video? It's 110% a Nazi salute.http://ntdaily.com/abbott-supporter-arrested-during-protest/

What did I miss? I saw no punches being thrown. I saw more than one guy being less than "calm" about the whole thing. I saw nothing that deserved an arrest. Nazi salute or not is not a crime. It is pure stupid and a disgrace, but it is not illegal.

Geeeezzzz people...calm down. It is the Governor speaking, and you know what, the sun will come up the day after and graduation parties will begin immediately after. Get a life folks...this ain't nutin'. Geeezzz Louise. Calm down.

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

200 of an expected 1000 students showed up to hear Abbott. LOL. Thank God it wasn't at Apogee. Would've been more embarrassing. But UNT isn't liberal.

The photo of an empty Super Pit is hilarious.

I think it has more to do with that all the schools have already had their graduations. Who's going to stick around for a second one?
  • Upvote 2

200 of an expected 1000 students showed up to hear Abbott. LOL. Thank God it wasn't at Apogee. Would've been more embarrassing. But UNT isn't liberal.

The photo of an empty Super Pit is hilarious.

Where is the photo?

You don't think it wouldn't have been full had Fox not spoken? I decided I'd rather have a top notch steak dinner and set up for my party than go see Abbott. As did clearly MOST of our grads.

Bro, I graduated yesterday. I know all about what happened.

Nice spin attempt tho.

The turnout has nothing to do with Abbott. I doubt a has been actor from the 80s would have done any better.
  • Upvote 1

You don't think it wouldn't have been full had Fox not spoken? I decided I'd rather have a top notch steak dinner and set up for my party than go see Abbott. As did clearly MOST of our grads.

Bro, I graduated yesterday. I know all about what happened.

I'm sure there are those who could have brought a bigger crowd. I'm sure if the Rolling Stones had played it would have brought more people. And I'm sure if whoever spoke at my commencement spoke there this time, it wouldn't have brought any more.

And if you know all about what happened, quit pretending as if it didn't.

• Upvote 1

The weather is perfect lol.

The weather didn't keep anyone away. If UNT felt listening to Abbott was worth hearing, they would've shown up. Clearly, they didn't.

#GoMeanGreen

The people who would've shown up to Apogee would've shown up to the Pit and the administration EXPECTED that. That's why they told CAS & MA/PhD to watch it at the Murchison (lol) because they expected a sold out Pit.

I hope you realize this makes UNT look bad, not good. At least in the eyes to the rest of Texas.
  • Upvote 2

That the students said that turning our graduation into a political stunt doesn't fly.

What political stunt was that? The fake students "signing" a bogus on-line petition? The fake student protesters who were actually union members among the 20 or so protesters who did turn out at the graduations? What political stunt? All I saw was the opportunity to have the Governor's ear for several hours and an opportunity to show the Governor the campus and let him know about all the great things happening at UNT these days. You know, the guy who sort of has some influence over the state's budget. You know, that guy?

Congratulations on your graduation...and welcome to the real world. You and your fellow graduates have much to learn. Enjoy the ride...it's great!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1