Trans activist will speak at alternate UNT graduation

Trans activist Pam Curry will speak at the Lavender Graduation, an LGBT graduation ceremony planned for April 18. The event has been planned since September and the LGBT group on campus hopes it becomes an annual event.

Since Gov. Greg Abbott was named the schools commencement speaker, many more students are planning to attend the Lavender Graduation and the group Abbott Free UNT has been promoting it as an alternative to the governor.

Almost 2,000 people signed an online petition to dump Abbott as the speaker, according to CBS 11. Protesting Abbotts views on marriage equality and education, students created the Facebook page Abbott Free UNT and posted comments like, Upset about Greg Abbott???? Protest by walking out of the ceremony as soon as he takes the stage! Attend your department graduations or attend LAVENDER GRADUATION hosted by the Pride Alliance.

Spencer Keralis, who sent the invitation to Curry to speak at the Lavender Graduation, is connected to the UNT libraries that house the LGBT archives.

Curry accepted the invitation and wrote on her Facebook page, I will approach this as a challenge to be the motivation, and inspiration that Gov Abbott cant and wont be. So Im asking for the prayers from all my friends.

Read more: http://m.dallasvoice.com/trans-activist-speak-alternate-unt-graduation-ceremony-10193353.html?mobile-redirector-transfer=true

Maybe this is good for UNT. A very small portion of students will go to that, then no reason for them to embarrass the rest of the graduates while Abbott speaks. Also, I bet the intolerant Conservatives dont bitch and cry about it and get a petition started.

Abbott hasn't spoken yet but people already dont like his message.

Edited by GreenMachine
  • Upvote 1

Just to clarify... the Lavender graduation is not an alternative graduation but, rather, a supplemental ceremony for LGBT students and allies on campus to get together and celebrate with each other. much like the mass commencement isn't actually when people will graduate but simply a symbolic university wide ceremony. I am saddened that students who dislike a certain political agenda would then go be part of the ceremony for a group of students that they may not even identify with or otherwise support in a meaningful way. I'd rather not have students disrespecting the Governor; though I completely disagree with his politics, he represents the entire state government and him being at NT is a big deal. I guess I am seeing this a bit different than most people on this board. There is a disturbing trend of blatant and unrepentant disrespect for the institutions of elected office that I have noticed in politics over the last 6-ish years. I wonder what event corresponds with this timeline...

Edited by MeanGreen13
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We are all minorities in something. Some people just choose to wake up a victim that is disrespected and others choose to say - love how different I am.

GMG

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Well, isn't that magical. Ironic that a group that begs for inclusion and acceptance, isn't willing to be part of the "mainstream" or accept others differing views.

My thoughts exactly. Sounds like a very divisive and discriminatory group. Pretty soon we'll have a left-handers only graduation in protest for the world being set up for righties. Maybe I'll sneak in and get up and walk out in protest when the speaker hits the podium.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Well, isn't that magical. Ironic that a group that begs for inclusion and acceptance, isn't willing to be part of the "mainstream" or accept others differing views.

Yeah those wacky gays, how dare they not support a person who all for preventing them from attaining equal rights. Such a weird concept. Those all exclusive, divisive jerks.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 7

Yeah those wacky gays, how dare they not support a person who all for preventing them from attaining equal rights. Such a weird concept. Those all exclusive, divisive jerks.

It's a graduation commencement speech, nothing more, nothing less. Has absolutely nothing to do with equal rights, acceptance etc.

It's a graduation commencement speech, nothing more, nothing less. Has absolutely nothing to do with equal rights, acceptance etc.

We'll see when the transcript of the speech comes out. I stand firm that even at graduation ceremonies, I haven't heard a politician of either party speak without pushing their agenda in there for years. Sure, they'll talk about the nice sunny afternoon, the school mascot, the lovely young people sitting before us about to enter the future, blah blah blah, but the agenda will slowly, sometimes subtly, sometimes not, creep in there.

We'll see when the transcript of the speech comes out. I stand firm that even at graduation ceremonies, I haven't heard a politician of either party speak without pushing their agenda in there for years. Sure, they'll talk about the nice sunny afternoon, the school mascot, the lovely young people sitting before us about to enter the future, blah blah blah, but the agenda will slowly, sometimes subtly, sometimes not, creep in there.

So when the transcript for the transgender speech comes out, no pun intended, do you expect the conservatives that don't agree with it to start protesting and get a petition circulating? You know, the group that doesn't like when people think different than them?
  • Upvote 1

So what rights are they being denied? The right to assemble? The right to protest? You and your ilk support gay marriage, me and mine support traditional marriage. In the words of Dr. Evil, "we're not so different, you and I."

• Upvote 4

So what rights are they being denied? The right to assemble? The right to protest? You and your ilk support gay marriage, me and mine support traditional marriage. In the words of Dr. Evil, "we're not so different, you and I."

I and my ilk actually don't support government sanctioned marriage at all. It'll be a cold day in hell before I ever invite the government into the most inner sanctum of my being (and the financial assets therein) again.

So when the transcript for the transgender speech comes out, no pun intended, do you expect the conservatives that don't agree with it to start protesting and get a petition circulating? You know, the group that doesn't like when people think different than them?

I think that if the speaker for the main commencement ceremony were Obama, there would be plenty of rumbling and perhaps a petition or two from those who disagree with him, yes. I have, to my recollection, made no statements in support of or against the protests and the petitions. To me, they're a non-entity, kids being kids, and to be completely expected from a bunch of young idealists. I don't think they're an embarrassment to the school any more than people who constantly pay them the attention they crave, thereby justifying their means. Don't listen, ignore, nobody cares, the university image is not tarnished.

Edited by oldguystudent
  • Upvote 3

I think that if the speaker for the main commencement ceremony were Obama, there would be plenty of rumbling and perhaps a petition or two from those who disagree with him, yes. I have, to my recollection, made no statements in support of or against the protests and the petitions. To me, they're a non-entity, kids being kids, and to be completely expected from a bunch of young idealists. I don't think they're an embarrassment to the school any more than people who constantly pay them the attention they crave, thereby justifying their means. Don't listen, ignore, nobody cares, the university image is not tarnished.

but since Barry isn't speaking, that is pure speculation. However, a transgender individual is going to speak on campus so, yes or no, do you believe a conservative group will start a petition?
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1