A few names to keep in mind with the UNT search

Harry

North Texas is in the midst of its search for a new women’s basketball coach, one athletic director Rick Villarreal said will move quickly on Sunday night.

Here’s our story from today’s paper.

Rick Villarreal said that he has been in contact with coaches and has others he is interested in speaking with soon. Here are a few of the names to keep in mind. I don’t have confirmation that any of these coaches have spoken with UNT, but their names have either come up in connection with the search or make sense.

Jalie Mitchell, assistant coach Texas — Mitchell is the obvious name to keep in mind. She is arguably the greatest player in UNT history and has had her number retired.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2015/03/a-few-names-to-keep-in-mind-with-the-unt-search.html/

North Texas is in the midst of its search for a new women’s basketball coach, one athletic director Rick Villarreal said will move quickly on Sunday night.

Here’s our story from today’s paper.

Rick Villarreal said that he has been in contact with coaches and has others he is interested in speaking with soon. Here are a few of the names to keep in mind. I don’t have confirmation that any of these coaches have spoken with UNT, but their names have either come up in connection with the search or make sense.

Jalie Mitchell, assistant coach Texas — Mitchell is the obvious name to keep in mind. She is arguably the greatest player in UNT history and has had her number retired.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2015/03/a-few-names-to-keep-in-mind-with-the-unt-search.html/

The husband/wife co-coach duo seems odd to me - from a financial standpoint as well as a who has the last say standpoint.

I hope other possible candidates are on that list or we are totally screwed again for 3-4 years. I also hope to hell Prez S has a hand in this next coaching hire.

I also hope it's not as it seems and we don't try and set the record for quickest search and hire.

Seems we wanna get this over with as soon as possible so to get on to bigger and better things... such as what's on the menu at Ci Ci's Pizza Buffet.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 7

No offense to Jalie but dude....she just started as an Asst in 2008. Benford was an Asst for 400 years and that sure as shit didn't make him qualified to be an HC. Let's not make the same mistake twice, thrice, infinitely.

Benford had many years as an assistant but it didn't work out. It looks like he may just not be cut out for it. Even if he had coached 5 more years as an assistant, I don't think that would've made a difference.

Likewise, if Jalie Mitchell has what it takes then she could be successful right away. Some good, former players have the brain to be great coaches, and great coaches right away, while others are no where close to having that ability, mentally.

And we're coming off a tenure of a coach who was about as experienced as it gets, yet went 5-24 in his last year here. That's why it's up to your Athletic Director to determine which candidates have résumés that will translate here and, in interviews, which candidates are the real deal.

Edited by BillySee58

My 2 cents is that whomever the AD hires will be someone he has worked with in the past. Take a look at the past new hires the only one I do not lay at his feet was the WBB Coach that was hired and believe heavily influenced by the woman UNT Pres at that time. Mac hired the DC for the football team not AD.

I will be shocked if he does not have a prior working relationship with whomever he selects as the next WBB coach.

My preference is that it be a head coach that has a winning record overall and yes that probably means going to an FCS or D2 school. The coach must know how to recruit and run a program.

GMG

No offense to Jalie but dude....she just started as an Asst in 2008. Benford was an Asst for 400 years and that sure as shit didn't make him qualified to be an HC. Let's not make the same mistake twice, thrice, infinitely.

I have had some personal interaction with Jalie that leads me to believe she is a rising star. It's just my opinion and that and a dime will buy you a cup of joe. Believe me, pass her up and in a year or two a bigger better program than us will jump at the chance to land her.

My mid major strategy is hire young, hungry coaches that can recruit. Jalie fits this bill AND she's an alum. Is there a risk yes but not NEAR the risk we had with a Shanice. The two are really not comparable. And I don't want another Peterson type proven guy either who can't recruit.

Where was all of this passion for a previous Alumn to coach here when Danny Kaspar wanted our job?

Rick

Kaspar would've been an awful fit. I mean...I guess no worse than what we have, but with a UNT degree so still +1 to Kaspar. Plus, he's not exactly done a bang up job at TSU...22-40 (hey, he may be available again soon!!!)

As to Jalie...given where the program currently sits, I think it's the ideal calculated risk...she's apparently already well-respected in the coaching ranks, is head of recruiting at Texas so has established ties with high school coaches, will be engaged and fired up to have her first head coaching gig at her alma mater...and she is WAY more attractive than Karen Aston.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Kaspar would've been an awful fit. I mean...I guess no worse than what we have, but with a UNT degree so still +1 to Kaspar. Plus, he's not exactly done a bang up job at TSU...22-40 (hey, he may be available again soon!!!)

As to Jalie...given where the program currently sits, I think it's the ideal calculated risk...she's apparently already well-respected in the coaching ranks, is head of recruiting at Texas so has established ties with high school coaches, will be engaged and fired up to have her first head coaching gig at her alma mater...and she is WAY more attractive than Karen Aston.

These are going to be the reasons why Rick is going to look at Mitchell's resume and throw it in the trash because it looks too familiar.

• Upvote 1

Kaspar would've been an awful fit. I mean...I guess no worse than what we have, but with a UNT degree so still +1 to Kaspar. Plus, he's not exactly done a bang up job at TSU...22-40 (hey, he may be available again soon!!!).

Disagree.

Kaspar knows how to coach, and especially knows how to coach defense. The 2012-13 team had a buttload of athletes. I would have love to seen what he could have done, especially on the defensive end of the floor.

• Upvote 2

These are going to be the reasons why Rick is going to look at Mitchell's resume and throw it in the trash because it looks too familiar.

perhaps. there are times to do it and times not to. hopefully RV recognizes that just because he picked the wrong time to roll the dice once that doesn't mean you throw the dice in the trash.

Disagree. (shocked, I tell ya)

Kaspar knows how to coach, and especially knows how to coach defense. The 2012-13 team had a buttload of athletes. I would have love to seen what he could have done, especially on the defensive end of the floor.

and he runs the most take-the-air-out-of-the-ball-iest offense in the state. that team needed a coach who had two sets and maybe a half-dozen plays...most of which focused on getting Tony Mitchell 10-15 feet away from the basket...but otherwise whose offense was predicated on two-man with CJ and TM and getting out in transition as frequently as possible. so like Kaspar with an evil-twin goatee, maybe.

Kasparov can't get it done at SWT so why here?

Read the archives on the board - everyone was good with the Benford selection whence it happened. Has it worked out as we hoped no. But he will have one year to get beyond 500. I think he gets that.

People say Benford needs another banger - I say he needs one pure shooter. The last one we had was Calvin Watson and that was a long damn time ago.

Read the archives on the board - everyone was good with the Benford selection whence it happened. Has it worked out as we hoped no. But he will have one year to get beyond 500. I think he gets that.

People say Benford needs another banger - I say he needs one pure shooter. The last one we had was Calvin Watson and that was a long damn time ago.

I think Andrew hijacked Harry's acct?

• Upvote 3

I think Tristan Thompson might count as a pure shooter. We certainly need another Watson or Davis though. A lot of the teams in the big dance have smaller quick lineups full of guys who can knock down the three and play permitter defense. We do need one more juco with size, but shooters are a must.

We don't have near the information that the AD does. To make that hire at that time and it turn out so disastrous, and then not to admit a mistake for 4 years is unforgivable.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1