Denia concerned about Sack n Save; Dead convention center idea

Harry

First off, your link does very little to prove your point. As I said before, it is in the grey area that the city council has no control over that is considered Denton and Corinth. According to city maps, the location is Corinth, but the address is Denton. It is an unincorporated area.

Secondly, by definition, Denton is not a suburb since the majority of the population works and lives inside the city and developed independently of the metroplex.

Thirdly, Rayzor Ranch is DOA because the city council is in a stalemate with the developers and will probably get canned. The "neighborhood", under the old plan, wouldn't even be developed until the Center is fixed which (according to the developers) will take 20+ years. No joke.

I never got to come back to your "5 mile" comment earlier in regards to "in the loop." The city of Denton tightly controls what happens inside the loop and even you would consider that for the most part things inside 288 don't look like DFW. Yet you dismissed the argument because there's more to Denton...to which it replied "sprawl."

Yes, Denton has it's own sprawl as a "city" inside the metroplex and not a suburb. Much like Fort Worth's approximately 11 mile radius inside the loop and sprawl outside of it, Denton has it's own 8 mile radius, and then sprawl outside of it. So if you're dismissing the inside the loop part of Denton as a tiny fraction of Denton, then so is Fort Worth inside the loop. And Houston. And San Antonio.

One of my bosses on the academic side of the university was on the zoning board for years and is very active in the city. Many times I'm just opinionated or, hell, just arguing to argue but here your argument has no basis in fact. Denton, except in small pockets, doesn't look like the rest of DFW. I'll be honest here too--and that's why I'm staying here after I graduate despite desperately wanting to go back to Houston for most of my undergraduate career.

Which loop in Fort Worth is a 11-miles radius? Loop 820?

Inside the loop, parts of it are unique, just like any city. I used to live very close to University and it has the same restaurants, shops, churches, etc. that any place in DFW does. I've lived in Dallas, Fort Worth now, Denton and a few places in between and I can tell you that--like I said outside of the square/UNT campus area-- much of Denton is the same. Almost everything in DFW outside of pockets of historic areas in Dallas, Fort Worth, and the Oak/Hickory area in Denton I mentioned was built in the 1950's and beyond. So even if the inner loop isn't brand new "master planned communities" they are the same type of residence as you'll see in other suburbs around here.

During my time there I saw tons of new housing developments, strip malls, and the like pop up in Denton. Its going to difficult for Denton to escape the DFW sprawl as evidenced by 35E being expanded. If everyone who lives in Denton works in Denton, I'd sure like to know why I always hit traffic where 35E turns into 2-lanes in Corinth.. Believe it or not more people live in Denton and commute than you would think; I had a co-worker who commuted from Denton to Dallas on a daily basis.

I have always found it funny how every part of DFW tries to disassociate it self from other parts of DFW. Its all just one big machine.

• Downvote 1

psy.gif

Maybe if I still lived in CO. :D

In N Out really is not a good burger. I mean, it's good when you're drunk or high, as suggested by oldguy, but that's about it. I'd take Kincaid's over it every day of the week, except for maybe Saturday where I'd treat myself to Rodeo Goat.

In N Out isn't even on Whataburger's level. The only reason any Texas gives a crap about it is the novelty...now you don't have to go all the way to California for a subpar burger.

• Upvote 3

Which loop in Fort Worth is a 11-miles radius? Loop 820?

Inside the loop, parts of it are unique, just like any city. I used to live very close to University and it has the same restaurants, shops, churches, etc. that any place in DFW does. I've lived in Dallas, Fort Worth now, Denton and a few places in between and I can tell you that--like I said outside of the square/UNT campus area-- much of Denton is the same. Almost everything in DFW outside of pockets of historic areas in Dallas, Fort Worth, and the Oak/Hickory area in Denton I mentioned was built in the 1950's and beyond. So even if the inner loop isn't brand new "master planned communities" they are the same type of residence as you'll see in other suburbs around here.

During my time there I saw tons of new housing developments, strip malls, and the like pop up in Denton. Its going to difficult for Denton to escape the DFW sprawl as evidenced by 35E being expanded. If everyone who lives in Denton works in Denton, I'd sure like to know why I always hit traffic where 35E turns into 2-lanes in Corinth.. Believe it or not more people live in Denton and commute than you would think; I had a co-worker who commuted from Denton to Dallas on a daily basis.

I have always found it funny how every part of DFW tries to disassociate it self from other parts of DFW. Its all just one big machine.

You need to get out about town more.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Denton boycotted the Subway on the Square which is now closing. But we're typical. Frisco would totally boycott a Subway and force it to close.

Frisco has 11 Subway locations. Denton has 13.

• Upvote 1

That's only because nobody ever has ordered pastrami from Subway because it doesn't exist. No. You may not paint me...unless it's in the manner of one of your French whores.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/12/chain-reaction-subways-new-big-hot-pastrami-melt-review.html

Lay down.

Denton boycotted the Subway on the Square which is now closing. But we're typical. Frisco would totally boycott a Subway and force it to close.

Yes, and Austin is so not typical compare to the rest of Texas. But hey, Dallasites would argue with Austinites that they're different too. Oh and Fort Worth has something to say to Dallas about originality. Tired argument is tired. We get it, Denton is super hip. No need to defend it with people who have lived there.. I loved Denton because of the people not because it was so trend setting.

Edited by ChristopherRyanWilkes
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We're not comparing major cities to other major cities. There aren't any other arty college towns in DFW. You can compare it to San Marcos and Austin about 30 years ago and that's an accurate description which is why I already compared it to places like Athens, GA. Not to mention this isn't about 'super hip', this is about the fact that Denton is different which often times is incredibly frustrating and in my opinion holds it back occasionally, such as in regards to this convention center, or the resistance to put chain restaurants along I-35, or the complete lack of mid-to-high end shopping.

But you've successfully sidetracked this discussion into whatever this discussion is now. So, congrats.

Denton has resisted putting chain restaurants on I-35? News to me. https://www.google.com/maps/search/+restaurants/@33.1847051,-97.1045724,17z

Check out all those mom and pop shops..

They are now allowing them but there has been resistance because many restaurants want to open after the 35 expansion. I'm not referring to what's already there and has been a battle to get there in the first place, I'm simply stating that there has been heavy resistance over the second wave (Bone Daddy's, for example.)

It's really easy to follow these updates, follow Denton RC and Peggy Heinkel Wolfe.

I haven't kept up with local stuff around Denton since I moved away. Correct if i'm wrong, but I would think most of the resistance to things like the convention center is not because they are trying to keep Denton unique, but because they don't want the hike in taxes? I don't think a lot of the "townies"(hope I don't offend anyone with that term) are not so much concerned about keeping it a cool artsy town as they are about developers taking their land to do it or making them pay taxes on things. If it weren't for UNT and TWU, Denton would be almost rural. Most of the voters in that city want to keep it a small town but not for the reasons you or me like it being a small town, if that makes sense.

Edited by ChristopherRyanWilkes

Also, La Sabrocita > Bueno > Bell > Del Taco

Whataburger > In N Out

RG Burgers are the best in Denton tho

I need to try La Sabrocita. Recommend anything in particular?

I went to Rosa's for the 1st time today. It might be a hair above Cabana in quality. Definitely better & bigger tortillas. Cabana's baby tortillas just do enough to piss you off...

I need to try La Sabrocita. Recommend anything in particular?

Sabrocita has a different selection of meats every day. There is a handwritten list at the register of what those meats are. I generally get a plate with two of them, corn tortillas, rice and beans. The tortillas are made on site and are delicious. They will also bring you chips and salsa before your meal (though they seem to be slacking on that lately if you don't ask). The salsa is warm, and it's divine.

Just be prepared that you're not getting Chili's brand fajitas here. There will be grease, there will be the occasional bone. It's not stuff that comes vacuum sealed in a convenient pouch for some kitchen monkey to microwave and slap on a plate. The realities of food, all of them, are there.