UT San Antonio	        1-1	1	6-6
Rice	                1-1	1	4-9
Florida Atlantic	0-1	1.5	7-5
Middle Tennessee	0-1	1.5	7-7
Charlotte	        0-1	1.5	6-7
Southern Miss	        0-1	1.5	5-7
Marshall	        0-1	1.5	4-10
North Texas	        0-2	2	6-8

There's Louisiana tech again. Sitting there at 10-4 in the middle of no-where Ruston, Louisiana. If it didn't sit directly on I-20 you'd never even lay eyes on their campus or town. Ever been on their campus? It's in the middle of a beautiful pine forest. And that's where the beauty stops right there. Trees! They have Trees and a cool little alumni recognition pavement walkway going through their campus, oh, and they have a rectangular, monolithic clock tower that's about 20 times the size of one of those rectangle conglomerate and concrete trash cans we had sitting outside the old student union. And speaking of student unions. Theirs is very similar to the one at the Tarrant County College South Campus in Fort Worth. I'm not exaggerating.

But there they are, at 10-4. Out recruiting us, out playing us and out performing us with Trees, a sidewalk and an ugly outdated clock.

Rick

• Upvote 2

There's Louisiana tech again. Sitting there at 10-4 in the middle of no-where Ruston, Louisiana. If it didn't sit directly on I-20 you'd never even lay eyes on their campus or town. Ever been on their campus? It's in the middle of a beautiful pine forest. And that's where the beauty stops right there. Trees! They have Trees and a cool little alumni recognition pavement walkway going through their campus, oh, and they have a rectangular, monolithic clock tower that's about 20 times the size of one of those rectangle conglomerate and concrete trash cans we had sitting outside the old student union. And speaking of student unions. Theirs is very similar to the one at the Tarrant County College South Campus in Fort Worth. I'm not exaggerating.

But there they are, at 10-4. Out recruiting us, out playing us and out performing us with Trees, a sidewalk and an ugly outdated clock.

Rick

Yes Rick,

Let the hatred of the Rustonites burn through you. Forget about the birds that cannot fly in San Antonio. We need to hitch our 'rivalry' wagon to Louisiana Tech.

Yes Rick,

Let the hatred of the Rustonites burn through you. Forget about the birds that cannot fly in San Antonio. We need to hitch our 'rivalry' wagon to Louisiana Tech.

Or UTEP. I know they have good basketball tradition and a great coach, but they have to recruit to El Paso. And I'm not even hating on El Paso, the city (grandfather was from there). The two cities/areas UTEP recruits the hardest are usually Dallas (~630 miles away) and LA (~800 miles away). But hey, it's hard to recruit to Denton. Definitely harder than it is to recruit to El Paso.

We're 0-3 against UTEP on the school year in the major sports, as well as 0-3 against UTSA. Men and women have Rice next. Very beatable opponent in both men's and women's (like UTSA). If we get swept by Rice we'll drop to 0-9 on the school year in the major sports against the in-state CUSA schools. That should be inexcusable.

Rick

I'm not sure sure wear the hate comes from but here is LaTech's schedule so far:

Nov 14	@Southern            W 85-76 
Nov 17	@Temple              L 82-75
Nov 21	vs Morehead          W 73-64
Nov 22	vs American          W 63-44
Nov 23	vs Presbyterian      W 76-48
Nov 28	vs Samford           W 77-64
Dec 2	@Northwestern State  W 99-88
Dec 6	vs Jackson State     W 65-52
Dec 10	@ULL                 L 94-86
Dec 14	@Syracuse            L 71-69
Dec 18	vs Nicholls State    W 79-54
Dec 23	@NC State            L 73-65
Dec 29	vs Southern Arkansas W 74-52
Jan 3	@Southern Miss       W 83-70

La Tech's SOS rating (335) ain't setting the world on fire.

• Upvote 1

Why does every new hire get 1 - 3 years of "cleaning" house? We've had 2 or 3 coaches, seemingly consecutive, in every major sport that has had some internal problem that RV keeps referring to. Like some kind of internal, super secret poison is in our players that appears every time a coach is replaced.

Y'all DO realize I'm not hating on Tech or Ruston, right? I'm simply pointing out the advantages we do have over them to further diminish the excuses we're fed as to why we can't compete.

Rick

What advantages are you referring to? I'm quite curious to see what they are although I have an idea what some of them might be (facilities for one).

Why does every new hire get 1 - 3 years of "cleaning" house? We've had 2 or 3 coaches, seemingly consecutive, in every major sport that has had some internal problem that RV keeps referring to. Like some kind of internal, super secret poison is in our players that appears every time a coach is replaced.

It's simply an excuse to get the coach to that magic 4th year when the BOR will finally give RV permission to fire that coach.

That's why the BOR loves RV so much, he keeps those buy out expenditures low and balanced the budget with whore games.

What advantages are you referring to? I'm quite curious to see what they are although I have an idea what some of them might be (facilities for one).

Facilities and location are the big advantages.

But they are trumped by La. Tech's commitment to winning and effective AD.

And they are trumped by a whole damn lot.

Facilities and location are the big advantages.

But they are trumped by La. Tech's commitment to winning and effective AD.

And they are trumped by a whole damn lot.

I would argue location is subjective. Not everyone wants to be in the big city.

I would argue location is subjective. Not everyone wants to be in the big city.

I would argue that FAR more kids want to be in an area like DFW than want to be in Ruston, La.

Probably about a 90% to 10% advantage.

For all the good it has been doing us.

In basketball, there is no doubt the coach situation is KILLING us in recruiting.

Edited by UNT90
  • Downvote 1

I'm not sure sure wear the hate comes from but here is LaTech's schedule so far:

It'd be fun to stay within a combined 10 points of programs like Syracuse and NC State. Plus, there's some sexy swaction on that ledger.

• Upvote 1

I would argue that FAR more kids want to be in an area like DFW than want to be in Ruston, La.

Probably about a 90% to 10% advantage.

For all the good it has been doing us.

In basketball, there is no doubt the coach situation is KILLING us in recruiting.

Of course, historically programs in major cities are not traditional powers (USC football and UCLA basketball being exceptions) because in large cities pro ball tends to dominate. It's usually easier to win in medium sized and smaller locations (with no pro franchises). Denton is kind of in a cross between the two....it's not a big city but it's close enough to one to be hurt by the proximity.

• Upvote 1

And this home schedule is better than ours? I remeber hearing we had the "weakest" home schedule in the conference.

Of course, historically programs in major cities are not traditional powers (USC football and UCLA basketball being exceptions) because in large cities pro ball tends to dominate. It's usually easier to win in medium sized and smaller locations (with no pro franchises). Denton is kind of in a cross between the two....it's not a big city but it's close enough to one to be hurt by the proximity.

UT, OU, Oregon (Eugene, Oregon has a metro population of 356k), U of Pittsburg, Temple, Ohio St (Columbus has a metro area of 2 million), UK (Lexington has a metro area of 500k), U of Arizona (Tempe has a metro area of 1 million), and of course Georgia Tech located in Atlanta (metro area on 5.5 million).

I could go on.

Ruston has a population of 21k. Lets not compare Oklahoma City, Austin, or hell, even Eugene to a 21k north La. podunk town. I'm sure Ruston has it's small town charm, but it isn't anything close to a Eugene, Oregon.

Edited by UNT90