CUSA Action (1/4/15)

CMJ

UT, OU, Oregon (Eugene, Oregon has a metro population of 356k),

None of those are major cities, though Austin comes the closest. Of course it's probably only true of Austin in the last 15-20 years or so. When i say major cities I mean major cities.

• Upvote 1

It's simply an excuse to get the coach to that magic 4th year when the BOR will finally give RV permission to fire that coach.

That's why the BOR loves RV so much, he keeps those buy out expenditures low and balanced the budget with whore games.

Facilities and location are the big advantages.

But they are trumped by La. Tech's commitment to winning and effective AD.

And they are trumped by a whole damn lot.

Welp, so much for that New Year's resolution. Although, I must admit you lasted longer than I expected.

Of course, historically programs in major cities are not traditional powers (USC football and UCLA basketball being exceptions) because in large cities pro ball tends to dominate. It's usually easier to win in medium sized and smaller locations (with no pro franchises). Denton is kind of in a cross between the two....it's not a big city but it's close enough to one to be hurt by the proximity.

Let's put up a toll bridge on 35E/W to the South and focus on how we are not part of the mega plex.

(except for the TV contract of course)

• Upvote 1

Welp, so much for that New Year's resolution. Although, I must admit you lasted longer than I expected.

Wasn't a resolution.

And I also said I would TRY.

Not to mention the last 2 days I really have been one of the least negative people on here.

That should tell you how well things are going ;-)

None of those are major cities, though Austin comes the closest. Of course it's probably only true of Austin in the last 15-20 years or so. When i say major cities I mean major cities.

I tend to think they are major cities.

In that case... Denton is not a major city and we shouldn't be grouped in that. Denton is to Dallas what Norman is to Oklahoma City. Oklahoma City is a major city. U. of Colorado is to Denver what UNT is to Dallas.

LSU in Baton Rouge. Baton Rouge is a major city. Miami U has been a traditional powerhouse. Tempe, Lexington, Pittsburgh are all major cities. Columbia South Carolina and metro area. Knoxville, TN and metro. U. Of Arizona in Tuscon. Washington in Seattle.

In basketball practically the entire Big East is in a big city.. dupaul, butler, creighton, georgetown, marquette, St Johns, Xavier.

Nebraska in Omaha, Rutgers had sniffed success. Syracuse, Duke. NCS in Raliegh has done good things. All i would consider big cities.

Many of these are of the 100 largest cities in the country.

In that case... Denton is not a major city and we shouldn't be grouped in that. Denton is to Dallas what Norman is to Oklahoma City. Oklahoma City is a major city. U. of Colorado is to Denver what UNT is to Dallas.

LSU in Baton Rouge. Baton Rouge is a major city. Miami U has been a traditional powerhouse. Tempe, Lexington, Pittsburgh are all major cities. Columbia South Carolina and metro area. Knoxville, TN and metro. U. Of Arizona in Tuscon. Washington in Seattle.

In basketball practically the entire Big East is in a big city.. dupaul, butler, creighton, georgetown, marquette, St Johns, Xavier.

Nebraska in Omaha, Rutgers had sniffed success. Syracuse, Duke. NCS in Raliegh has done good things. All i would consider big cities.

I said Denton is CLOSE to a major city and we suffer because we are not a state flagship school. Also,some of the ones you listed I don't think of as major cities. I tend to consider major cities ones in top 20 population or media markets (or both). I also should have specified...it's tough to build consistent winners in places where there are also pro franchises. That's one reason why Austin is kind of the best of both worlds....massively growing city with no pro team to draw fans away from.

Hell even USC and UCLA have do be kicking ass to draw consistently well. Somewhere like Nebraska doesn't because there's nothing else there (I also don't consider Omaha a major city).

I also said traditional powers...many of the schools you listed are not traditional powers but schools that have had success at various points. St Johns and DePaul basketball for instance, used to be traditional powers but have not been in some time. Colorado has had points of success, but they really have only been relevant off and on for about 30 years with very little before that. Miami has had huge gaps in relevancy...basically nothing before the 1980's huge success for about a decade and then spotty since. I don't really think of the triangle in Carolina as a major etro area, but even if i do...it has not always been the case and most of the groundwork for the basketball success of UNC, Duke, and NC State was laid while it was still a backwater area.

I could go on.

But it's easier to build winning tradition in mid sized towns where the entire area gets behind a team. A school in a major city has to compete with the pro fans for entertainment dollar...and attention.

Nebraska is in Lincoln. Creighton is in Omaha.

But it's easier to build winning tradition in mid sized towns where the entire area gets behind a team. A school in a major city has to compete with the pro fans for entertainment dollar...and attention.

Well, Fort Worth IS a major city and IS smack dab in the middle of one of the top 20 population centers in the U.S.

Plus, the most popular professional football team on the planet plays 25 miles away.

Yet TCU seems to be doing ok.

Well, Fort Worth IS a major city and IS smack dab in the middle of one of the top 20 population centers in the U.S.

Plus, the most popular professional football team on the planet plays 25 miles away.

Yet TCU seems to be doing ok.

For about the last 15 years they have yes. I wouldn't exactly say they have the greatest history of sustained success - they were bottom of the barrel for generations. I hope for their sake they continue to keep it up. It's the exception rather than the rule to be a traditional power in a major city - which was my point. I didn't say a school couldn't put a few good seasons together.

For about the last 15 years they have yes. I wouldn't exactly say they have the greatest history of sustained success - they were bottom of the barrel for generations. I hope for their sake they continue to keep it up. It's the exception rather than the rule to be a traditional power in a major city - which was my point. I didn't say a school couldn't put a few good seasons together.

I've been told today I'm a flawed man, so it just stands to reason why I hope for their demise. I hope for them and SMU and UTA to crap the bed in everything every year.

I guess I'm kind of on the Rick Grimes approach to things similar to his 3 questions..(1. How many walkers have you killed, 2. How many people have you killed....and 3...Why?). For me I've got just one question in these matters, not directed at any particular person of course. But are you Mean Green or Not? Cause your either Mean Green or your not. Your either with us or your against us. There's no gray area. Your either Mean Green or you can GTFO and go let the frog, stang or maverick walkers eat your guts and the flesh off your bones.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I've been told today I'm a flawed man, so it just stands to reason why I hope for their demise. I hope for them and SMU and UTA to crap the bed in everything every year.

I guess I'm kind of on the Rick Grimes approach to things similar to his 3 questions..(1. How many walkers have you killed, 2. How many people have you killed....and 3...Why?). For me I've got just one question in these matters, not directed at any particular person of course. But are you Mean Green or Not? Cause your either Mean Green or your not. Your either with us or your against us. There's no gray area. Your either Mean Green or you can GTFO!

Rick

I guess I just don't harbor any animosity toward them. I don't root for them, but I also don't actively wish them to do poorly like I do other schools.

I think it all depends on your will to succeed. TCU didn't have that will for the longest time. UNT has never had that will and probably never will.

Keep in mind TCU is the ONLY team to ever be let back into the club, and they did it being smack dab in the middle of DFW and having to compete with the Cowboys and a myriad of other entertainment options.

Yet all they did was do something no other university has managed to do in college athletics. I would bet they have as many former UNT grads as paying supporters as UNT does.

They forged a partnership with the City of Fort Worth (Mayor Betsy Price went to Atlanta for the bowl game. Did the mayor if Denton even bother to drive to Dallas last year for UNT's?) which is why you see downtown Fort Worth decked out in purple every Friday before game day. Every light pole with a TCU banner.

Yes, Fort Worth is full of a bunch of independent people who don't want any association with Dallas, but isn't Denton very much the same in that respect?

It all comes back to UNT just not caring enough about athletics to work to get better.

Ah, thanks for pointing out the Nebraska thing.

No biggie. Drive to Lincoln from Denton and back sometime to watch North Texas get beat 76-14 and you'll never forget which school is where.

Rick

Forevereagle and I know because we have family in both Lincoln and Omaha. We both follow Nebraska more than casually because both our parents went to/met at UNL and have several family members that also went to school there.

• Upvote 1

Forevereagle and I know because we have family in both Lincoln and Omaha. We both follow Nebraska more than casually because both our parents went to/met at UNL and have several family members that also went to school there.

And yet your parents had the grace and compassion to send you and your brother to UNT. See, just another reason to acknowledge what great parents you guys have! I know...they are great people. Trust me on that.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1