Change-It's a New Year!

ArkansasEagle

I'd change our football program from a perennial loser to a perennial national title contender.

Hope you weren't looking for small changes.

Agree. Everytime I see Boise State win a significant bowl game against a P5 program I just shake my head. I truly believe that NT should be right up there with Boise and others. Alas, it has never happened and probably never will in my lifetime. We, the fans and University leadership, are our worst enemy.

?? Is "university leadership" an oxymoron?

Edited by DeepGreen

I would change this fan base's definition of "progress". Mac is "progress" because he's not Dodge. RV is "progress" because he's not Helwig. A 10 year contract with SMU and getting Indiana as a home game is "progress".

USF, Boise, and make no mistake UTSA soon, are shooting for "progress" in MUCH larger terms. We, on the other hand, pat each other on the back as we "progress" right along into irrelevance.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

A positive BOR and an athletic director who can positively schedule 6 home games a year and can positively do what other ADs at program in our conference are doing: bringing in P5 schools to THEIR stadium.

So, I would positively change just about everything.

See how positive I can be?

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 3

I would change our NFL draft drought. I have to imagine other coaches use the inability to place guys in the NFL consistently against us.

Yes, Robertson, Dunbar, Olawale, and Orr are a source of pride on Sundays and have proven that they should've had their names called on draft day. It's time the program improves in its ability to showcase players who want to pursue a career in football.

I will add that I do feel the program is doing a good job promoting the guys currently on NFL rosters and highlighting their NT roots.

No kidding. Place is a dumpster fire.

Hey Ryan, you remind me of me in 2008. Once you hang around enough to figure out UNT gives 2 craps about athletics and does so many things wrong that it's laughable, you to will turn into an FFR or Emmitt.

Hang on though. It's going to be a sports soul sapping ride.

A little advice. Expect very little from UNT athletics across the board and don't become too emotionally attached and you will be ok. This is why you see positivity from those on this site with pretty low expectations. Its a self defense mechanism, and a good one.

The thing is, they actually have it right, because I have come to the realization that we will always be the laughing stock of college athletics in Texas because the university has always been perfectly ok with that.

Im going to try (stress:try) to revert back to my 2008 self a little more this year. I'll enjoy the one winning season in football every 10 years and pretty much ignore basketball until we hire a college head coach. I'll try to relax except for continuing to point out scheduling incompetence and a few other things.

But with that comes diminished caring. Already there in basketball.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

Beat UTSA Dang it.

Regardless of what UNT does our Tailgate is only going to get grander in 2015.

My goal is to turn it into a Burning Man style setup - with couches, a bit of a den setup for 24 glorious hours every home game this year. And as for that SMU game - monster pre-tailgate in the backyard walking distance from the stadium and post game celebration!

GMG

• Upvote 1

I would change this fan base's definition of "progress". Mac is "progress" because he's not Dodge. RV is "progress" because he's not Helwig. A 10 year contract with SMU and getting Indiana as a home game is "progress".

USF, Boise, and make no mistake UTSA soon, are shooting for "progress" in MUCH larger terms. We, on the other hand, pat each other on the back as we "progress" right along into irrelevance.

this is so damn spot on
  • Upvote 1

I'd like to see the athletic department do more than the bare minimum.

Before that can happen, there has to be more than a "bare minimum" interest on the part of the BOR, administration and FACULTY & STAFF at good ol' UNT.

In other words.........wait for it

you know what's coming.....

annnnd here it is......

A TOP TO BOTTOM CULTURE CHANGE AT NT REGARDING ATHLETICS.

NOT TO MENTION, SCHOOL IMAGE, AND SCHOOL SPIRIT/TRADITIONS.......such as they are.

We need to stop "contracting" our athletic department games/events, and get people running it and involved with it that are "COMMITTED" AND "PASSIONATE" ABOUT NORTH TEXAS.

I was disappointed that the term "pageantry" was nowhere to be found in that post.

I've given up on the concept of "pageantry" at this point in time and concentrating on "showmanship".

So, if the band that the school contracts with to show up to games is payed more for "grand entrances" or "showmanship" then I'm sure that "pageantry" just might follow. But then other spirit groups that our school contracts with (the ones that bother to show up) would have to get a raise as well.

I've given up on the concept of "pageantry" at this point in time and concentrating on "showmanship".

So, if the band that the school contracts with to show up to games is payed more for "grand entrances" or "showmanship" then I'm sure that "pageantry" just might follow. But then other spirit groups that our school contracts with (the ones that bother to show up) would have to get a raise as well.

I agree with this wording change. Showmanship is much more manly than pageantry. I mean, it even has the word "man" contained in it. You really can't get more manly than man.

Meanwhile, pageantry contains the word "pageant." While inticing to men when paired with the word beauty, when you pair pageantry with football, it just screams femininity.

Football is manly, therefore showMANship is very acceptable. Pageantry... Not so much.

This post brought to you by the Heman Women Haters Club of 'Merica.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I agree with this wording change. Showmanship is much more manly than pageantry. I mean, it even has the word "man" contained in it. You really can't get more manly than man.

Meanwhile, pageantry contains the word "pageant." While inticing to men when paired with the word beauty, when you pair pageantry with football, it just screams femininity.

no

Football is manly, therefore showMANship is very acceptable. Pageantry... Not so much.

This post brought to you by the Heman Women Haters Club of 'Merica.

Damn man, you must be really bored this afternoon.......... B)