UNT defensive coordinator candidates?

Harry

Noah Joseph

Kevin Patrick

Should it be young old or should it matter?

Should recruiting ability be the primary factor or at least high up on the list?

Texas ties or does it matter?

Gary DeLoach?

Let's hear some of your thoughts or other serious possibilities or names that should be mentioned. Gmg

Recruiting should be very high on the list. Not necessarily young, but someone a little younger that can relate to players a little more and in hand recruit better. Kevin Patrick fits that mold. I am not sure of his defensive knowledge outside of the DL though, that would fall on Mac. Schematically a little more aggressive would be nice as well. GMG

• Upvote 4

Noah Joseph

Kevin Patrick

Should it be young old or should it matter?

Should recruiting ability be the primary factor or at least high up on the list?

Texas ties or does it matter?

Gary DeLoach?

Let's hear some of your thoughts or other serious possibilities or names that should be mentioned. Gmg

Going to need to find someone to coach LB's too, that was Skladany's position.

Is Joseph ready? He's pretty young. I bet he'd be willing to come back as a DC.

I don't know if coach Patrick just wasnt provided with good DL players, or if his coaching isn't good enough, but his unit has been terrible this year. Not sure I want to trust the entire defense to him.

Please don't make the D-coordinator the recruiting coordinator. That's alot of additional responsibility.

DLo? Please... no.

If Bowen becomes available, and no one else wants to pay him to be their D coordinator, I certainly hope we approach him.

• Upvote 1

someone a little younger that can relate to players a little more and in hand recruit better.

This is a big deal in college baseball. Huge. What I'm unfamiliar with is whether prospective college football players are as coddled from the day they can walk as are baseball players. If so, then this is a completely valid point, at least on the recruiting front. I'd really like to know how a tough old bird like Skladany has been able to break kids down and get them to buy in to his way of seeing things.

• Upvote 1

I would think Bowen would be at the top of the list. Whether he would be interested would obviously depend on whether KU wants to hire him permanently as HC, or if KU or another Big XII school wants him at DC.

Noah Joseph would be a good hire.

Since Skladany probably chose to retire before the Kevin Patrick hire, I have to wonder if he took the D-line job as the DC-in-waiting.

Otherwise, I would look at a list of Iowa State defensive assistants in 2006 and Florida assistants in 2010, because that's where you'll find a pool of likely candidates.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 3

Let's be real about all of this, though. The new DC will probably be someone McCarney has worked with in the past (not necessarily a bad thing: look at Skladany), and will probably come from a place we wouldn't even think about.

Challenge to this board: Comb through Defensive coaches that McCarney has worked with in any capacity, widdle that down list by those who are either at G5 schools, OR are at P5 schools currently in lower-than-coordinator positions, and cross reference that probably small list with teams that had decently successful seasons last year and this year. There you'll find the short list of candidates.

Shouldn't be hard to do all of that.

I'm in favor of giving Kevin Patrick serious consideration. Although our DL play has been disappointing this year, I think we have to consider the timing of his hire, late in the recruiting cycle. I do think he had something to do with signing Tuaalo, who has redshirted this year, and may turn out to be that DT who can beat a double team. I DO think, if promoted, he should continue recruiting defensive players. We may have to look at guys who can come and in play right away next year, whether JC midterm transfers or HS.

I just like his overall history as a player, coach, and recruiter, as well as his demeanor on the sidelines. He seems like he's always coaching, no matter what point in the game, or what the score is. I'd like us to evaluate him on his overall record, as well as his potential for recruiting and developing defensive linemen, which has been something we've struggled with in most recent years.

A roll of the dice? Maybe, but I think it could turn out to be a very smart hire.

I wouldn't mind seeing Tommy Perry's name in the mix. When given the Special Teams Coordinator he became a student of that job and Special Teams is now the most solid part of our game. He knows Texas and has had some college experience at the linebacker position.

Assuming there's no experienced DC waiting in the wings, Tommy Perry would definitely stay for that position. Otherwise, some P5 program probably has him on their radar. He's a keeper IMO.

• Upvote 4

I wouldn't mind seeing Tommy Perry's name in the mix. When given the Special Teams Coordinator he became a student of that job and Special Teams is now the most solid part of our game. He knows Texas and has had some college experience at the linebacker position.

Assuming there's no experienced DC waiting in the wings, Tommy Perry would definitely stay for that position. Otherwise, some P5 program probably has him on their radar. He's a keeper IMO.

Agree. I think Perry has done a fantastic job. I was kinda shocked he didn't get hired away after last season.

• Upvote 1

Let's be real about all of this, though. The new DC will probably be someone McCarney has worked with in the past (not necessarily a bad thing: look at Skladany), and will probably come from a place we wouldn't even think about.

Challenge to this board: Comb through Defensive coaches that McCarney has worked with in any capacity, widdle that down list by those who are either at G5 schools, OR are at P5 schools currently in lower-than-coordinator positions, and cross reference that probably small list with teams that had decently successful seasons last year and this year. There you'll find the short list of candidates.

Shouldn't be hard to do all of that.

McCarney had never worked with Bowen, Joseph, Perry, etc before he hired them. I wouldn't be surprised if he picked another young up and comer for the job.