UNT hosts Incarnate Word in 2018?

Harry

**Not Raising it is detrimental. My point was made, argue with it if you'd like.

TFLF hit the nail basically on the head. When the G5 starts making it's shuffles to strengthen within we very well may end up having conference opponents such as Incarnate, SHSU, SFA, etc. No one will start taking this program serious if our own administration chooses to at least not keep par. North Texas' leadership didn't push when it needed to during the SWC days and it's not pushing in 2014 either. If we aren't trying to progress, we are regressing. We can't just build a stadium and expect leaps and bounds, it doesn't work that way. A stadium/facilities can lay a decent foundation, but to stop there is naive and borderline insanity.

• Downvote 2

I'm over that menial position for BG. I'm now thoroughly convinced that he belongs in the highest office of the AD....nay....The University itself

Could he really do any worse than Jackson? I mean BG ripping his shirt off and demanding the chancellor of the UT system fight him would bring us more statewide attention than anything the current crew has ever done.

• Upvote 3

Could he really do any worse than Jackson? I mean BG ripping his shirt off and demanding the chancellor of the UT system fight him would bring us more statewide attention than anything the current crew has ever done.

that would be so detrimentally awesome!

• Upvote 3

**Not Raising it is detrimental. My point was made, argue with it if you'd like.

TFLF hit the nail basically on the head. When the G5 starts making it's shuffles to strengthen within we very well may end up having conference opponents such as Incarnate, SHSU, SFA, etc. No one will start taking this program serious if our own administration chooses to at least not keep par. North Texas' leadership didn't push when it needed to during the SWC days and it's not pushing in 2014 either. If we aren't trying to progress, we are regressing. We can't just build a stadium and expect leaps and bounds, it doesn't work that way. A stadium/facilities can lay a decent foundation, but to stop there is naive and borderline insanity.

Ok, you want the student fee raised. Got it. Have you looked at the athletic budgets of our peers in CUSA?

Couple links for you:

http://www.thekeyplay.com/content/2014/january/20/college-football-arms-race-examining-athletic-department-revenues

According to USA Today, we have the 3rd highest revenue (which includes student fees, interestingly enough) of CUSA teams behind ODU and UTEP:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/schools/finances/

*Edit: I would add, that USA Today link is especially fun. Take a look at the gap between Texas and pretty much everyone in a G5 school. Just 10 years ago (or less) Texas outspent us by ~$100 million. Now they are up to ~$130 more than what we spend. If we max out our student fees, that would close the gap by ~$6-8 million (someone correct me here). The point is, TV revenues are growing this $$ gap at a much faster rate than we can raise the student fees to ever make up for it.

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 1

all i heard was 'Ragonk'

• Upvote 1

He wouldn't even need to touch him. He could use his detrimental telepathy.

(and the free markers, if he ever received his)

Don't sweat it. With the leadership we have at C-USA, this will be a conference game by 2018.

I almost laughed at this until I realized it was the most reasonable post of the last 2 or 3 pages of this thread.

Ok, you want the student fee raised. Got it. Have you looked at the athletic budgets of our peers in CUSA?

Couple links for you:

http://www.thekeyplay.com/content/2014/january/20/college-football-arms-race-examining-athletic-department-revenues

According to USA Today, we have the 3rd highest revenue (which includes student fees, interestingly enough) of CUSA teams behind ODU and UTEP:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/schools/finances/

*Edit: I would add, that USA Today link is especially fun. Take a look at the gap between Texas and pretty much everyone in a G5 school. Just 10 years ago (or less) Texas outspent us by ~$100 million. Now they are up to ~$130 more than what we spend. If we max out our student fees, that would close the gap by ~$6-8 million (someone correct me here). The point is, TV revenues are growing this $$ gap at a much faster rate than we can raise the student fees to ever make up for it.

Nobody thinks we should even think about being in the same budget as Texas, Texas A&M, or Texas Tech. But is it too much to ask us to take advantage of the exact same fee that powerhouses like Texas State and Texas-San Antonio get to legally charge? I don't give a damn about the P5 budgets. We decided decades ago that we can't and won't try to compete with them athletically. We never will. But the other two Texas twins are probably going to be our peers athletically for a long time to come. We should be able to charge the same state-allowed athletics fee that they do.

If we max out our student fees, that would close the gap by ~$6-8 million (someone correct me here).

So, if we max out our student fee, we could eliminate 7 whore games to the P5?

Think about that for a minute.

We could play those games on our own terms, not to fund the AD (if your numbers are correct).

Of course, it would have the uncomfortable side effect of forcing RV to actually do his job.

• Upvote 1

I almost laughed at this until I realized it was the most reasonable post of the last 2 or 3 pages of this thread.

Montana sells out their little stadium. North Dakota State probably does as well. Once we become an FCS/G5 Leftover power, perhaps we will as well.

It's difficult to blame RV so much. The biggest portion of the hole was dug when the administration decided to go I-AA three decades ago. The arms race began in earnest in the early 90s while we were still languishing there.

It was a really stupid, stupid idea to move down to I-AA. But, look, we were also way behind in doing facilities upgrades as well even after.

Everything we do, it's like pulling teeth. Eventually, we've faced the fact that the weird city that we all hail for musical and artistic hipness is never going to embrace the University's athletics. Compounding that is the general apathy from the administration, staff, faculty, and students that dragged on for decades, and, in many corners, still drags.

What else can you do? As I've stated before, we're stuck where we are until our T. Boone Pickens appears.

I just don't see it.

We can talk scheduling until we are blue in the face, but the Criminal 5's have already made themselves autonomous; so, it really doesn't matter what we do. Besides, have a game here and there against Texas Tech or Oklahoma State in Apogee would not make up much ground anyway financially; it's just one game.

We need to accept who we are. As Marshall is showing this year, being undefeated isn't going to even get you sniffed unless you are Criminal 5. So, at schools like ours, there will never be a national title. The Criminal 5 have already decided that the national title will reside only among their conference schools.

So, let's recalibrate and get competitive where we can. As stated before, the ship sailed long before RV got here.

Montana sells out their little stadium. North Dakota State probably does as well. Once we become an FCS/G5 Leftover power, perhaps we will as well.

It's difficult to blame RV so much. The biggest portion of the hole was dug when the administration decided to go I-AA three decades ago. The arms race began in earnest in the early 90s while we were still languishing there.

It was a really stupid, stupid idea to move down to I-AA. But, look, we were also way behind in doing facilities upgrades as well even after.

Everything we do, it's like pulling teeth. Eventually, we've faced the fact that the weird city that we all hail for musical and artistic hipness is never going to embrace the University's athletics. Compounding that is the general apathy from the administration, staff, faculty, and students that dragged on for decades, and, in many corners, still drags.

What else can you do? As I've stated before, we're stuck where we are until our T. Boone Pickens appears.

I just don't see it.

We can talk scheduling until we are blue in the face, but the Criminal 5's have already made themselves autonomous; so, it really doesn't matter what we do. Besides, have a game here and there against Texas Tech or Oklahoma State in Apogee would not make up much ground anyway financially; it's just one game.

We need to accept who we are. As Marshall is showing this year, being undefeated isn't going to even get you sniffed unless you are Criminal 5. So, at schools like ours, there will never be a national title. The Criminal 5 have already decided that the national title will reside only among their conference schools.

So, let's recalibrate and get competitive where we can. As stated before, the ship sailed long before RV got here.

Once again....It's our culture. The one that's been in place for as long as we've played organized sports. Hayden Fry recognized it as a problem and did his best to change it. But I'm guessing that he got tired of fighting outside negative perceptions as well as our in house cultural negativity/indifference about athletics.

The same decision makers at NT that made the decision to move down to 1-AA were also in play when we had a chance to get a little positive pub about our football team. We won the Southland in 1983 (yeah, I know BFD) and were scheduled to play Nevada in our first 1-AA playoff game IN DENTON. But we had to guarantee the sale of 10K seats/tickets for the game.....not going to happen! So the game was played in Reno. A game that we probably could have easily won in better weather conditions here in Denton.

Then the same administrators decided that they would look at moving back up to D-1 and as their first step toward that, they fired Corkey Nelson. Did they turn the hiring of the next coach over to someone who was knowledgeable about Football? Hell no! They formed a hiring committee which included some professors and God knows what other clueless people, and the committee decided on Marshall HS HC Dennis Parker instead of this guy who was one of the applicants.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Johnson_(American_football_coach)

But to be somewhat fair to the "committee" of 1990, their choice of Dennis Parker yielded a better overall record (11-21-1) than our most recent High School hire.

TFLF, it may have been you who said that as long as RV stays within his budget and doesn't say or do anything that would embarrass the BOR, his job was pretty safe. I believe that GrayEagle, and Dallas Green, might agree that this is pretty much the same thinking as the old days when Matthews was President and Mitchell was our head coach.....and raising money for the athletic department was forbidden.

When I told my wife about that quote/opinion she said "Damn, whoever appointed the current BOR must be committed to North Texas never changing their historical culture". Then she said "who the hell appointed those people?".

Until there is a commitment from the very top, or near the top, of our administration to change the culture here, the change will always be an uphill battle.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1

When I told my wife about that quote/opinion she said "Damn, whoever appointed the current BOR must be committed to North Texas never changing their historical culture". Then she said "who the hell appointed those people?".

Perry.

• Upvote 1

And the Governor appoints the BOR, right? And the Governor more times than not is an ATM or UT grad. So it's a calculated process of who X governor appoints as our BOR, no? We are being played like a drum to remain right where we are, national irrelevance. God forbid we rise up and take t-shirt fans away from the top 2 state universities. Until we have a realistic say in who our appointed BOR are we will swim in circles until the second coming. Correct me if I am wrong, just thinking out loud.

And the Governor appoints the BOR, right? And the Governor more times than not is an ATM or UT grad. So it's a calculated process of who X governor appoints as our BOR, no? We are being played like a drum to remain right where we are, national irrelevance. God forbid we rise up and take t-shirt fans away from the top 2 state universities. Until we have a realistic say in who our appointed BOR are we will swim in circles until the second coming. Correct me if I am wrong, just thinking out loud.

I don't think it's as nefarious and as intentional as the tin foil hat wearing posters on this board believe it to be... It's fairly well documented that most of UNT's problems have come from UNT, not everyone else.

But it could be worse: we could be UAB. Of course, if were UAB that means we'd have just beaten UNT -- so no matter what, we're still be beating ourselves. Rim-shot.

• Upvote 2