UNT hosts Incarnate Word in 2018?

Harry

And the Governor appoints the BOR, right? And the Governor more times than not is an ATM or UT grad. So it's a calculated process of who X governor appoints as our BOR, no? We are being played like a drum to remain right where we are, national irrelevance. God forbid we rise up and take t-shirt fans away from the top 2 state universities. Until we have a realistic say in who our appointed BOR are we will swim in circles until the second coming. Correct me if I am wrong, just thinking out loud.

It's obviously this, which is why Baylor and TCU can't compete.

• Upvote 2

The only likely way in which any of the people on this board (and at UNT in general) have been directly aggrieved by UT and A&M is having their application for admission denied. This loser talk of how UT and A&M have systematically held us down needs to go away.

UNT plays 6 home games a year (except next year, which YES WE KNOW) and hasn't ever sold out the stadium. Did UT and A&M do that?

UNT has 35k students. More students than seats in the stadium. Still, never sold out the stadium.

UNT has 250k alums in the Dallas Fort Worth area. Still, never sold out the stadium.

There's plenty UNT can do to affect their own lot in life -- and UT and A&M have nothing to do with any of it. It's a lazy excuse.

Edited by Eagle1855
  • Upvote 3

Wasn't excuse making. It was a question to get a general sense as to who, how and why particular people are appointed.

For that reason, I didn't quote you. It was an opinion based on sentiments of the board in general. There's a mentality that we have been held down, whether by the "big" schools or SMU. I don't buy any of it.

But I do think we could improve our lot in life in general as a University with more presence at the state level. Never hurts to be well-represented.

Go actually LOOK at the budgets of the schools that are our PEERS in CUSA. We are 3rd in the conference in revenues, and way ahead of UTSA who has a student athletic fee set at double our rate. Moreover, we're in the mid-70s in the entire nation, which puts us clearly into the upper quarter of the pool that includes all G5 schools.

Our administration is enabling us to be competitive with our true peers---1st priority is within our conference. 2nd is within the greater group of G5 schools. The P5 has separated to a point that is laughable. I don't believe that you'll see us raise the student fee until a point in time where our revenues are not competitive with the upper half of our conference. In the current political climate that we are in, it'd be suicide for any of our BOR to step out and make that push right now. Some of you on this board need to look at the entire picture.

• Upvote 1

The only likely way in which any of the people on this board (and at UNT in general) have been directly aggrieved by UT and A&M is having their application for admission denied. This loser talk of how UT and A&M have systematically held us down needs to go away.

UNT plays 6 home games a year (except next year, which YES WE KNOW) and hasn't ever sold out the stadium. Did UT and A&M do that?

UNT has 35k students. More students than seats in the stadium. Still, never sold out the stadium.

UNT has 250k alums in the Dallas Fort Worth area. Still, never sold out the stadium.

There's plenty UNT can do to affect their own lot in life -- and UT and A&M have nothing to do with any of it. It's a lazy excuse.

4 home game season next year as it sits right now.

5 home game season in 2012.

Details.

neutral site game in Frisco v Austin College?

You think RV's even *called* Austin College? Please.

Besides, I've seen North Dakota State all over Frisco the past few years wearing We Run This State hoodies because they've...you guessed it...PASSED US BY.

• Upvote 1

You think RV's even *called* Austin College? Please.

Besides, I've seen North Dakota State all over Frisco the past few years wearing We Run This State hoodies because they've...you guessed it...PASSED US BY.

in Frisco? really? that's such a lie. only thugs wear hoodies.

• Upvote 1

Montana sells out their little stadium. North Dakota State probably does as well. Once we become an FCS/G5 Leftover power, perhaps we will as well.

It's difficult to blame RV so much. The biggest portion of the hole was dug when the administration decided to go I-AA three decades ago. The arms race began in earnest in the early 90s while we were still languishing there.

It was a really stupid, stupid idea to move down to I-AA. But, look, we were also way behind in doing facilities upgrades as well even after.

Everything we do, it's like pulling teeth. Eventually, we've faced the fact that the weird city that we all hail for musical and artistic hipness is never going to embrace the University's athletics. Compounding that is the general apathy from the administration, staff, faculty, and students that dragged on for decades, and, in many corners, still drags.

What else can you do? As I've stated before, we're stuck where we are until our T. Boone Pickens appears.

I just don't see it.

We can talk scheduling until we are blue in the face, but the Criminal 5's have already made themselves autonomous; so, it really doesn't matter what we do. Besides, have a game here and there against Texas Tech or Oklahoma State in Apogee would not make up much ground anyway financially; it's just one game.

We need to accept who we are. As Marshall is showing this year, being undefeated isn't going to even get you sniffed unless you are Criminal 5. So, at schools like ours, there will never be a national title. The Criminal 5 have already decided that the national title will reside only among their conference schools.

So, let's recalibrate and get competitive where we can. As stated before, the ship sailed long before RV got here.

There is so much truth in this post, that a mere +1 won't do it justice.

We did this to ourselves. When the SWC turned us away by basically telling us not to waste our time, we could've shown some pride and fought ahrd to keep improving. Stay as an independent like Tulsa did. Join the WAC and get partenred up with UTEP. Or even better, go to the old Big Eight and offer them all a game in the DFW Metroplex every year. Or we could just basically give up. We overdosed on stupidity in athletics in 1982 and didn't get off the stuff until 1994. We are healthier than we have ever been since 1982, but we aren't healthy. The "stuff" just did too much damage to us. We are the old hippie that drinks lemonade and eats salad today because the body just cannot function on anything hard anymore.

Where I think RV has some blame is on both the scheduling front and the folks he has hired to run the revenue sports. Those misses and missed opportunities have caused us to be looked at just being the musics and arts school that has a football and basketball team for some reason.

Ironically, the worst decsion we made or didn't fight was the i-aa fiasco, but it could certainly end up being the best thing for us from a competitive standpoint. We have a similar budget to the SBCUSAAC teams we will be matched up with in the new i-aa. Instead of playing in a conference with teams in Louisiana and Texas that no one had heard because they were so small, now you will be matched up with teams that people have heard of, assuming they even still keep playing at this level (see SMU and Tulane).

Let's see. First the Bisons are a FCS school, not Divison 2. Nt didn't choose to move to 1aa, it was forced because of the size of Fouts. It was the only NCAA decision made based on retroactive criteria so there was nothing that could have been done after the NCAA announced. As for most Governors being from UT or A&M, only 1governor ever has been an A&M alumnus. The undergrad schools for the last several governors have been A&M, Yale, Baylor, SMU, Baylor and SMU.

• Upvote 1

SMU will be able to pay players, as they have before. It's now legal with the Criminal 5, and probably will be down here where we lurk as well. If they hire Mack Brown, and are able to pay players, they will do well.

So, you will have additional reasons to hate them - their alumni will be able to buy more players than us and a more high profile coach.

Let's see. First the Bisons are a FCS school, not Divison 2. Nt didn't choose to move to 1aa, it was forced because of the size of Fouts. It was the only NCAA decision made based on retroactive criteria so there was nothing that could have been done after the NCAA announced. As for most Governors being from UT or A&M, only 1governor ever has been an A&M alumnus. The undergrad schools for the last several governors have been A&M, Yale, Baylor, SMU, Baylor and SMU.

DId the NCAA force us to STAY at i-aa for 12 freaking years? Did they make us not even try something as crazy as putting 10k of aluminum seats on the pig that was Fouts Field for 12 years?

Everything else you write about is dead-on, but that decision above is one we clearly chose to accept without an ounce of fight...

Edited by untjim1995

SMU will be able to pay players, as they have before. It's now legal with the Criminal 5, and probably will be down here where we lurk as well. If they hire Mack Brown, and are able to pay players, they will do well.

So, you will have additional reasons to hate them - their alumni will be able to buy more players than us and a more high profile coach.

A football program still costs a lot of money and you only have 1000 millionaire and about 5000 fans, eventually, the money will stop. At SMU, their pride, as well, may not be able to handle a permanent reduction below the top end of college football. Right now, they are convinced that they are either still near it or will get included somehow. I'm just not sure that their new alums are gonna feel about SMU Football the way the 60,70, and 80 year old monied alum of SMU feels about spending that money on a i-aa program. I guess we will see...

DId the NCAA force us to STAY at i-aa for 12 freaking years? Did they make us not even try something as crazy as putting 10k of aluminum seats on the pig that was Fouts Field for 12 years?

Everything else you write about is dead-on, but that decision above is one we clearly chose to accept without an ounce of fight...

You are right, we didn't try to get back to real football for a long, long time. But I keep seeing statements that we chose to change and that part isn't true.