UNT finalizing deal that with Incarnate Word for game in 2018

Harry

1. Colorado

2. Kansas

3. BYU

4. Oregon State

5. Illinois

All are P5 opponents (except Independent BYU), have a recognizable brand for the non die hards, would all bring solid crowds, and all recruit this area. They're also generally winnable games that have more potential to generate some buzz.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 3

Baylor just signed a contract with UIW earlier this year. Maybe the downfall of Baylor in the National Championship thing this year scheduling FCS Northwest LA too.

Baylor was also criticized by media for scheduling future cupcakes...

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/17/baylor-adds-2019-game-against-university-of-the-incarnate-word/

Bringing in lower p5 schools like Kansas, vandy, wake...will not sell out apogee. Barely a bump in season tickets.

Bringing in okstate, Texas tech, etc will bring a bump in attendance for that one game, but you run the risk of a loss at home.

UH has brought in decent names over the last few years. Barely an impact on season ticket sales and sellouts. And UH is right in the middle of a big city.

Only winning and growing a die hard fanbase will work. Getting students to buy in over an extended period of time will grow a rabid fanbase. Also bringing in more locals. Anyone who is attending because of opponent is not a die hard fan.

This guy gets it.

As for the UNT90 question, I agree with him 100% on the 5 game home schedule. And when it's 5 home games with one being a lower level it is really bad. This years schedule should be the least we should expect. SMU and a terrible FCS plus conference.

This guy gets it.

As for the UNT90 question, I agree with him 100% on the 5 game home schedule. And when it's 5 home games with one being a lower level it is really bad. This years schedule should be the least we should expect. SMU and a terrible FCS plus conference.

Next year will likely be a 5 home game schedule with an FCS plus conference. Unless, of course, we win out this year and need to count the Nicholls State victory towards our bowl eligibility. Then we won't be able to count an FCS victory towards our bowl eligibility next year.

What would we do then with that last open spot on our schedule? Schedule an FCS so that we get that 5th home game, knowing we can't use that win towards our bowl eligibility and hope we can win 6 of the other 11 games, with 7 of those being on the road? Or try and get another FBS road game, so that we have 12 chances at getting 6 wins, but with a 4-game home schedule?

I hope we win out, but it'd make things tricky for scheduling.

Marshall is playing a cream puff schedule and isn't even ranked by the committee that actually has sway in the college football world right now, the CFP Board.

The Boise State model everyone talks about is not even one we could emulate, aside from playing weaklings, because they ALSO played a P5 team every year, usually beating them (see Oregon, Oregon State, Washington, Geaorgia, Va Tech, etc...). Those wins got them the attention of the college football world. Marshall winning like they are this year isn't swaying anyone their way, especially if they do what I think they will in their big bowl game, which is fold up like a cheap tent like the last weak-ass non-AQ did with that kind of schedule (Hawaii under June Jones against Georgia in the SUgar Bowl).

I think Marshal beats whoever they pair them with. They run the football with success and they have a solid QB. Their D isn't too shabby either.

If you want to boost attendance while also getting some wins, bring in Texas teams: Stephen F., Sam, Texas State. We're not going to get a UT or OU or anyone else of that nature to come to Denton any time soon, plus if they did, they'd pancake us.

My gut feeling is that the optimal program to try to get a home-and-home with would be Texas Tech. We would get loads of butts in seats for that game and, hopefully, it could be a competitive game; we could also likely get a lot of Mean Green fans to travel to Lubbock for that game.

• Upvote 1

Next year will likely be a 5 home game schedule with an FCS plus conference. Unless, of course, we win out this year and need to count the Nicholls State victory towards our bowl eligibility. Then we won't be able to count an FCS victory towards our bowl eligibility next year.

What would we do then with that last open spot on our schedule? Schedule an FCS so that we get that 5th home game, knowing we can't use that win towards our bowl eligibility and hope we can win 6 of the other 11 games, with 7 of those being on the road? Or try and get another FBS road game, so that we have 12 chances at getting 6 wins, but with a 4-game home schedule?

I hope we win out, but it'd make things tricky for scheduling.

I've seen you post this twice recently and I thought it was no longer true so I just re-read the NCAA bylaws and rules to make sure before posting. This rule you are referencing started phasing out in 2006 and as of 2012, they completely did away with a lot of the old rules concerning FCS (I-AA) games. Teams can now count an FCS win every year.

Regarding Harry's OP, I'll play:

1. an ACC team - NC State/Virginia/Wake Forest/Pittsburgh. Any of those four would do just nicely, and all have shown that they are willing to travel to a G5. None currently play in the fertile recruiting ground of DFW.

2. Iowa State or Oklahoma State. I'm sure the folks at Oklahoma State would be fine with making the short trip down to one of their primary pipeline's (DFW) in the years that they host 5 home Big 12 games. Iowa State because of the Mac connection. They already have the home-and-home with Iowa and typically play an FCS every year, but maybe we can lock em into a home-and-home opposite Iowa.

3. Purdue/Northwestern - with the B1G going to 9 conference games and no longer scheduling FCS teams, they'll be looking to get "easy" wins. RV should lock them in right now while we're down.

4. Washington State/Oregon State - the Pirate. Both of these squads recruit in Texas and have scheduled series with G5s before. RV should be on the phone. These schools want exposure in DFW

5. BYU - they have 12 non-conference games a year and recruit Texas. RV likes playing week night games (Thursday) and so does BYU.

• Upvote 1

Go ahead and give me all the -1's you want. The truth of the matter is, not a single person that roots for the Mean Green would be complaining about the schedule if we were in Marshall's position, right now. BTW, their non conference home games were Ohio and Rhode Island. SEXY! They're doin it wrong! They should have Oklahoma State or Purdue!

Marshall actually had Louisville on the schedule but they dropped it at the last minute. I think that's why they had to get Rhode Island.

My gut feeling is that the optimal program to try to get a home-and-home with would be Texas Tech. We would get loads of butts in seats for that game and, hopefully, it could be a competitive game; we could also likely get a lot of Mean Green fans to travel to Lubbock for that game.

the problem with Texas Tech is that they play in Arlington every year vs. Baylor and currently signed a 4 year extension on that contract (running through 2020), AND in every even year (2012, 2014, 2016, etc) they come to Fort Worth. They are less likely to make a trip to the DFW when they are already playing here. If we do get them though, RV should sign them opposite TCU (ie. in Denton in odd years - 2015, 2017)

• Upvote 3

I've seen you post this twice recently and I thought it was no longer true so I just re-read the NCAA bylaws and rules to make sure before posting. This rule you are referencing started phasing out in 2006 and as of 2012, they completely did away with a lot of the old rules concerning FCS (I-AA) games. Teams can now count an FCS win every year.

Good. I thought I remembered someone posting back when we beat Nicholls that we could still only count one every other year. I see no problem scheduling an FCS every year, to neutralize the money games we will inevitably play every year. Edited by BillySee58

I'd like to see local Texas/Oklahoma/New Mexico teams come to Apogee.

Teams like SFA, Texas State, Abilene Christian, Houston, Tulsa, Tulane, NM State.

I'm intrigued by the idea of a Texas Tech home-and-home and having TCU come up I35W will certainly bring people into Denton.

IF not those, the Big 12 scrubs - Kansas & Iowa State or a MAC/ACC team. I don't understand what RV's up to and why he's unable to attract bigger-name teams than FCS teams to Denton unless Mac has told him to make it FCS to near-guarantee a win as you're going to get.

As a fan, I'd rather watch a narrow loss against a name opponent then a complete blowout where I'm thinking about leaving early shortly after halftime because there's no incentive to stay and watch.

If teams like the Louisiana System squads can get P5 teams to come to their stadiums, surely with a venue like Apogee in a place like Texas with numerous good high schools around it should be doable. But I don't think RV or the administration cares and/or the teams that may be approached demand too much to make it happen.

This is an entertaining read. We used to play teams like SFA, Sam Houston, SW Texas St (I mean Texas St), McNeese, UTA, NMSU, Lamar, etc. every year and that was used as the excuse why no one came to the games. We needed "named" opponents to attract fans (that and a new stadium). Now the thinking is we need to play teams like SFA, Sam Houston, Texas St, etc.? Teams people know and care about. That's what will attract the fans (assuming we win, of course)? At least we have a new stadium.

As for Marshall, Ohio is kind of like their SMU, a backyard rival and at least Rhode Island is a state. I don't know what Incarnate Word is. SMH.

• Upvote 1

I'm onboard with one of these two scheduling ways.

1 FCS

3 Of the most winnable games we can find such as Idaho

Winning solves anything and everything. Helps recruiting, sells tickets, brings in donations, etc

Or

1 FCS school

1 lower P5 school such as Kansas or Colorado

2 non P5 schools such as Ohio, Kent State