Mac said it well after the game

Harry

Meager, a run/option QB made the change to passing QB and still holds the single game passing record I believe...601 vs SMU? Outside of Davis I doubt we will ever see another QB with the ability to do that, or will ever get the chance to.

Rick

I thought we were in a good position to win that SMU game if there hadn't been that high shotgun snap towards the end that sailed several feet over his head.

Edited by eulessismore

I thought we were in a good position to win that SMU game if there hadn't been that high shotgun snap towards the end that sailed several feet over his head.

Another chapter in the book of North Texas' amazing ability to save defeat from the jaws of victory.

For me it started when we lost a conference championship in Monroe when an extra point hit the left upright in '87.

Then I watched that rape in Austin in Sept of '88.

Then there was the fumble inside our own 10 in Huntington that Marshall scored on three plays later to win 7-0 in the first round of the 1-AA PLAYOFFS in '88.

Then I drove to Manhatten KS to watch us allow K state to convert a 4th and 10 from their own goal line with 1:12 left in the game and NT leading with the help of one of the worst pass interferance calls I've ever seen, then work the ball to our own 12 and throw the game winner TD as time expired, ending the Nations longest losing streak at 29, and the students tore down the goal post in celebration as the Bill Snyder legend was born in '89.

Then Parker forgets what down it was and tells the QB to throw the ball away on 4th down and we lose a shot at the playoffs on a last second field goal in '91.

Then clinging to a 34-31 lead with less than 3 minutes to go, Simon doesn't put a punt returner back at Ok State and the punt hits at the 15 and rolls to the one inch line and pins us there. And despite having a future NFL punter on the team Simon then elects to take an intentional safety...34-33. We punt to OK State, they complete a couple of passes with seconds to go and kick a 40 something yard field goal as time expires...36-34 in '94.

Then we lose in the first round of the playoffs in a snow storm in Boise to Boise when a one-armed DB picks off Maher in '94.

Then a bunch of us fly out with MeanRob to Lubbuttocks to see Stone Hands McClain celebrate too soon and fumble at the TexasTech 3 with 17 seconds to go, failing to cross the goal line and complete a 50 yard Hail Mary from Scott Hall that would have won the game for the Mean Green 14-13. Instead Tech recovers and sits on the ball at the 4 and we lose 13-7 in '00.

And on and on and on......

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Oh yeah, I'd completely forgotten about that debacle in the Park Cities. Now I can add that back to my list of depressing road games I've witnessed in person. At some point, God is going to reward us for our faithfulness. Or we'll continue to suffer for our stubborn stupidity. One.

Another chapter in the book of North Texas' amazing ability to save defeat from the jaws of victory.

For me it started when we lost a conference championship in Monroe when an extra point hit the left upright in '87.

Then there was the fumble inside our own 10 in Huntington that Marshall scored on three plays later to win 7-0 in the first round of the 1-AA PLAYOFFS in '88.

Then I drove to Manhatten KS to watch us allow K state to convert a 4th and 10 from their own goal line with 1:12 left in the game and NT leading with the help of one of the worst pass interferance calls I've ever seen, then work the ball to our own 12 and throw the game winner TD as time expired, ending the Nations longest losing streak at 29, and the students tore down the goal post in celebration as the Bill Snyder legend was born in '89.

Then Parker forgets what down it was and tells the QB to throw the ball away on 4th down and we lose a shot at the playoffs on a last second field goal in '91.

Then clinging to a 34-31 lead with less than 3 minutes to go, Simon doesn't put a punt returner back at Ok State and the punt hits at the 15 and rolls to the one inch line and pins us there. And despite having a future NFL punter on the team Simon then elects to take an intentional safety...34-33. We punt to OK State, they complete a couple of passes with seconds to go and kick a 40 something yard field goal as time expires...36-34 in '94.

Then we lose in the first round of the playoffs in a snow storm in Boise to Boise when a one-armed DB picks off Maher in '94.

Then a bunch of us fly out with MeanRob to Lubbuttocks to see Stone Hands McClain celebrate too soon and fumble at the TexasTech 3 with 17 seconds to go, failing to cross the goal line and complete a 50 yard Hail Mary from Scott Hall that would have won the game for the Mean Green 14-13. Instead Tech recovers and sits on the ball at the 4 and we lose 13-7 in '00.

Rick

Sad thing is that although these type of losses exist in every program, other programs have just as many moments of greatness.

We have a few moments of greatness (Rice goal line stand, Ball St. Comeback, and bowl win last year alone), but we seem to have far more moments of angst than the average FBS program.

It ain't easy being green.

Edited by UNT90

Rick

The Tech game was the worst--because Tech matters in this state. more than anyone not named Texas or A&M.We would've beaten them for the 4th time in a row in Lubbuttocks...just so North Texas to find a way to lose that one.

The game you mentioned about the spike was actually in 1992--we were playing NW State at Fouts in an early season confernce game on Homecoming, so we actually had our one game a year that got over 10k in attendance. We are losing in that game 31-28, but we are driving for a score to win the game. Maher completes a pass that is in bounds and short of the first down deep in their territory and Parker screams to Mitch to down the ball--on third down--with about 20 seconds to go, IIRC. He does what he is told, then they decide to kick a FG to tie it rather than try for the first down/TD to win. Then, in almost amazingly stupid fashion that truly proved he was a HS coach in waaaaayyyy over his head, Parker calls for an osides kick with about 15 seconds left, which NW State recovers. They complete a pass and call TO to set up a 50+ yard FG, which their kicker absolutely drills down the middle with room to spare at the buzzer.

Oh yeah, I'd completely forgotten about that debacle in the Park Cities. Now I can add that back to my list of depressing road games I've witnessed in person. At some point, God is going to reward us for our faithfulness. Or we'll continue to suffer for our stubborn stupidity. One.

We were rewarded, it was last year. Next reward around 2022-23 season?

The game you mentioned about the spike was actually in 1992--we were playing NW State at Fouts in an early season confernce game on Homecoming, so we actually had our one game a year that got over 10k in attendance. We are losing in that game 31-28, but we are driving for a score to win the game. Maher completes a pass that is in bounds and short of the first down deep in their territory and Parker screams to Mitch to down the ball--on third down--with about 20 seconds to go, IIRC. He does what he is told, then they decide to kick a FG to tie it rather than try for the first down/TD to win. Then, in almost amazingly stupid fashion that truly proved he was a HS coach in waaaaayyyy over his head, Parker calls for an osides kick with about 15 seconds left, which NW State recovers. They complete a pass and call TO to set up a 50+ yard FG, which their kicker absolutely drills down the middle with room to spare at the buzzer.

Thank you. Your absolutely correct as that is exactly what happened. One bad call followed another. I had forgotten the onside kick, maybe that's a good sign for me? Anyways, we couldn't believe he gave them that short field? Sigh!

Rick