Looking down the line (recruiting)

BillySee58

First off, sorry for starting yet another recruiting thread, and for the post length. I've been working on this research on and off the last few days. I hope it'll make you all feel better about the future of our team and recruiting.

I was looking at both our team last year, and the CUSA all conference first and second team. One thing I've, and many others, have noticed this team lacking this season is star players. It's hard to say with confidence if any of our players will make first or second team all conference this year. A few have a shot, but I've been looking into all conference players from a recruiting aspect. Last year we were fortunate to tie with Rice for the most in the conference with 5 players making the all CUSA first and second team.

If you look at the recruiting profiles of most of the first and second team all CUSA players, you see many players who had solid offer lists, 3-star guys, and guys nationally ranked at their position. Every once in a while there are unheralded recruits and former walkons who make it, but that seems to be more of the exception than the norm.

If you look at our all-conference players from last year, they all were well recruited out of high school, with the exception of Brelan Chancellor, who was overlooked because of his size. The other guys had 5+ offers, offers from schools like Houston and Missouri, etc. They were good commits and signings from the start. With the exception of Cyril Lemon and transfer Marcus Trice, they were all Dodge signings, as were many other starters. Which has caused for alarm as to Mccarney winning with his recruits. But my research has to do with how our recruiting under him is progressing, especially with regards to getting some potential all-conference guys on the field like we had last year.

I went off Greg's letter-grade scale to try and sort the signings coming out of high school. Instead of using the star system to classify our recruits and former recruits, I'm going to be using their listed offer lists from their recruiting website profiles out of high school. How many other division 1 schools wanted these guys? The problem with this is not all kids have all their offers listed, but for the most part, between all the major recruiting sites, you can see who all has offered a kid.

My key:

A "C" recruit is either a walkon, a signing who had no other offers, or had just 1 other offer besides us. A "B" recruit has 3-5 total offers (including our offer). A solid prospect but usually not a class headliner or guy you expect to make an instant impact. A "B+" recruit doesn't have more than 5 total offers but has good quality in their offers. Like Lance Dunbar, Mason Y'Barbo, and Zach Orr. An "A" recruit has more than 5 but less than 10 total offers. That's where Aaron Bellazin would've fallen. An "A+" recruit has 10 or more total offers. Marcus Trice, even though he was a transfer, would've fallen here out of HS.

2011-2013 (Coach Mac's first 3 classes)

B(4): '11 Derek Akunne, '11 Austin Orr, '12 David Busby, '12 Nick Schrapps, '13 Fred Scott

B+(6): '11 Freddie Warner, '11 Kerry Swarn, '11 Chaz Sampson, '12 Boone Feldt, '13 Syd Moore, '13 Darvin Kidsy

A(3): '11 Cyril Lemon, '12 Xavier Kelly, '13 Chad Davis

A+(0):

14 total

2014-2015 (last class and current commits)

B(6): '14 Jalen Montgomery, '14 Brandon Garner, '14 Andrew Jones, '15 Nate Brooks, '15 Cody Wheeler, '15 RD Wegmann

B+(2): '14 Jeffery Wilson*, '15 Cade Erwin

A(3): '14 Willy Ivery, '14 Jalen Adams, '14 Fonzale Davis

A+(4): '14 Tee Goree, '14 Chris Miles, '14 Caleb Chumley, '15 Sam Miller

15 total

*I put Jeffery Wilson in B+ because 4 offers playing in Elkhart, TX is very impressive. Would've had 10+ and multiple Big12 if he would've played in the metroplex.

So my point through this research is that if you look at our sophomores-seniors on this roster, we're lacking some star power. If you look at our 2011-2013 "B+" recruits, 3 of 6 have left the program, another hasn't played since his true freshman year due to injury, and the other two are RS Fr and a sophomore. Out of our 3 "A" recruits, 1 didn't pan out and left, 1 is playing out of position, and the other is a true Soph. We're relying on a lot of "C" guys to not just be role players and starters, but to be stars. Unfortunately 2 of our 2014-2015 "A" signings are already gone or didn't make it in.

The good news is, if we can continue getting solid contributions from walkons, and the more unheralded recruits, if this staff can get some of these "B"-"A+" guys to pan out the way they did with the previous ones, then we could be looking at some solid representation on the all CUSA teams and a solid supporting cast. They don't always pan out, which is why bringing those guys in at a higher rate, like we are, is crucial. Let's see if we can get some current guys to establish themselves as all CUSA players despite not being "B+" guys or higher. That's key until those 2014 and 2015 guys develop.

Interesting. I am not surprised recruiting results show an upward trend. This is Macs 4th year? His first recruiting class if I recall correctly was frantic sprint to throw something together as I think he wasn't hired till December? If I am remembering that correctly, it really says watch year 5 and 6 when he has had a chance to really get his recruiting classes thru the program. First year recruiting when you are hired at end of recruiting season is a crap shoot.

Oh, and for the "making excuses" responses that are coming, f-off, sorry if others seek to understand the situation and make intelligent conclusions and decisions rather than just mindlessly babble the same crap over and over.

• Upvote 4

Thanks for the overview Billy. As i'm semi new to this, where did you get all of this recruiting knowledge and experience from?

I think UNT football is still truly on the rise, and i do think that all these setbacks are frustrating. But, I'm willing to wait and watch UNT grow. We will have tons of problems on our way to sustainable success. It's hard to rewrite generations of preconceived notions. That doesn't happen with one 9 win season. Even if we fielded a bunch of nobodies, i still bleed green.

In a perfect situation, you hope to have your starting roster filled with solid jrs and srs. I would say a solid recruit would start his Jr and sr year at a minimum.

For bigger schools and 4 and 5 star recruits, its bumped up earlier because of players leaving early, but freshmen and sophs starting in most cases are the exception.

I keep hearing about dodges great recruiting and the cupboard was bare when Mac got here. Players like Zac orr, would be considered a great recruiting success.

We had a great season last year, but that team was not filled with many successes. Any team can wait every 4 years when you have a bunch of seniors to finally break through, when everyone else has underclassmen.

Players like Abbe and DT are considered dodge successes. It took them to get to thier senior year to finally give us solid D1 play. That is a "c" to me.

If they would have been able to give us solid performances as a junior, like you would expect a solid recruit to give, then we would be talking about 2 consecutive winning seasons.

Mac has mismanaged some talent and completely wiffed on some juco ships, but he is still suffering from what he came in with. ESP at qb, DB, and wr.

• Upvote 1

First off, sorry for starting yet another recruiting thread, and for the post length. I've been working on this research on and off the last few days. I hope it'll make you all feel better about the future of our team and recruiting.

I was looking at both our team last year, and the CUSA all conference first and second team. One thing I've, and many others, have noticed this team lacking this season is star players. It's hard to say with confidence if any of our players will make first or second team all conference this year. A few have a shot, but I've been looking into all conference players from a recruiting aspect. Last year we were fortunate to tie with Rice for the most in the conference with 5 players making the all CUSA first and second team.

If you look at the recruiting profiles of most of the first and second team all CUSA players, you see many players who had solid offer lists, 3-star guys, and guys nationally ranked at their position. Every once in a while there are unheralded recruits and former walkons who make it, but that seems to be more of the exception than the norm.

If you look at our all-conference players from last year, they all were well recruited out of high school, with the exception of Brelan Chancellor, who was overlooked because of his size. The other guys had 5+ offers, offers from schools like Houston and Missouri, etc. They were good commits and signings from the start. With the exception of Cyril Lemon and transfer Marcus Trice, they were all Dodge signings, as were many other starters. Which has caused for alarm as to Mccarney winning with his recruits. But my research has to do with how our recruiting under him is progressing, especially with regards to getting some potential all-conference guys on the field like we had last year.

I went off Greg's letter-grade scale to try and sort the signings coming out of high school. Instead of using the star system to classify our recruits and former recruits, I'm going to be using their listed offer lists from their recruiting website profiles out of high school. How many other division 1 schools wanted these guys? The problem with this is not all kids have all their offers listed, but for the most part, between all the major recruiting sites, you can see who all has offered a kid.

My key:

A "C" recruit is either a walkon, a signing who had no other offers, or had just 1 other offer besides us. A "B" recruit has 3-5 total offers (including our offer). A solid prospect but usually not a class headliner or guy you expect to make an instant impact. A "B+" recruit doesn't have more than 5 total offers but has good quality in their offers. Like Lance Dunbar, Mason Y'Barbo, and Zach Orr. An "A" recruit has more than 5 but less than 10 total offers. That's where Aaron Bellazin would've fallen. An "A+" recruit has 10 or more total offers. Marcus Trice, even though he was a transfer, would've fallen here out of HS.

B(4): '11 Derek Akunne, '11 Austin Orr, '12 David Busby, '12 Nick Schrapps, '13 Fred Scott

B+(6): '11 Freddie Warner, '11 Kerry Swarn, '11 Chaz Sampson, '12 Boone Feldt, '13 Syd Moore, '13 Darvin Kidsy

A+(0):

14 total

B(6): '14 Jalen Montgomery, '14 Brandon Garner, '14 Andrew Jones, '15 Nate Brooks, '15 Cody Wheeler, '15 RD Wegmann

15 total

*I put Jeffery Wilson in B+ because 4 offers playing in Elkhart, TX is very impressive. Would've had 10+ and multiple Big12 if he would've played in the metroplex.

So my point through this research is that if you look at our sophomores-seniors on this roster, we're lacking some star power. If you look at our 2011-2013 "B+" recruits, 3 of 6 have left the program, another hasn't played since his true freshman year due to injury, and the other two are RS Fr and a sophomore. Out of our 3 "A" recruits, 1 didn't pan out and left, 1 is playing out of position, and the other is a true Soph. We're relying on a lot of "C" guys to not just be role players and starters, but to be stars. Unfortunately 2 of our 2014-2015 "A" signings are already gone or didn't make it in.

The good news is, if we can continue getting solid contributions from walkons, and the more unheralded recruits, if this staff can get some of these "B"-"A+" guys to pan out the way they did with the previous ones, then we could be looking at some solid representation on the all CUSA teams and a solid supporting cast. They don't always pan out, which is why bringing those guys in at a higher rate, like we are, is crucial. Let's see if we can get some current guys to establish themselves as all CUSA players despite not being "B+" guys or higher. That's key until those 2014 and 2015 guys develop.

Don't forget Class of 2011 commit Terrell Brooks (now at Baylor after a 1-game stint in Green, followed by a JUCO career @ Navarro), who had some big time offers.

Problem is, not all of these commits are not sticking around. I'm worried that trend will continue. Just this past year, we lost 2 of the guys many of us were most-excited about in Adams & Davis (granted, we may have another shot at Davis).

Vogon poetry is of course, the third worst in the universe. The second worst is that of the Azgoths of Kria. During a recitation by their poet master Grunthos the Flatulent of his poem "Ode to a Small Lump of Green Putty I Found in My Armpit One Midsummer Morning", four of his audience died of internal hemorrhaging and the president of the Mid-Galactic Arts Nobbling Council survived only by gnawing one of his own legs off. Grunthos was reported to have been "disappointed" by the poem's reception, and was about to embark on a reading of his 12-book epic entitled "My Favourite Bathtime Gurgles" when his own major intestine--in a desperate attempt to save life itself-leapt straight up through his neck and throttled his brain. The very worst poetry of all perished along with its creator, Paula Nancy Millstone Jennings of Sussex, in the destruction of the planet Earth. Vogon poetry is mild by comparison.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Players like Abbe and DT are considered dodge successes. It took them to get to thier senior year to finally give us solid D1 play. That is a "c" to me.

If they would have been able to give us solid performances as a junior, like you would expect a solid recruit to give, then we would be talking about 2 consecutive winning seasons.

And the difference is, you're classifying a guy as a "C" based on his college career. I'm not using that as a factor. Although with Abbe and DT, they didn't have any other offers so they would've been a "C" in my classification as well.

Which is exactly my point. That's realistically what you expect from "C" recruits. Neither were all conference guys, nor guys we relied on to make the big game-changing plays it took to win. They were solid multi-year contributors who helped us win. Meanwhile, we were able to lean on the more heralded recruits who panned out to be the all-conference performers for us. Like Bellazin, Orr, Y'Barbo, and Lemon.

Edited by BillySee58

Don't forget Class of 2011 commit Terrell Brooks (now at Baylor after a 1-game stint in Green, followed by a JUCO career @ Navarro), who had some big time offers.

Problem is, not all of these commits are not sticking around. I'm worried that trend will continue. Just this past year, we lost 2 of the guys many of us were most-excited about in Adams & Davis (granted, we may have another shot at Davis).

I couldn't find any offers on Brooks' profiles, so I didn't include by technicality.

Like you said, you aren't going to be able to keep all these guys, and the ones you do aren't all going to pan out. That's why you bring in more, therefore allowing yourself to have some of these misses.

The truth is, you're going to see a higher percentage of the guys with more offers pan out than guys with no other offers. Especially if they can stay committed and not get in off-the-field trouble.

• Upvote 1

I couldn't find any offers on Brooks' profiles, so I didn't include by technicality.

Like you said, you aren't going to be able to keep all these guys, and the ones you do aren't all going to pan out. That's why you bring in more, therefore allowing yourself to have some of these misses.

The truth is, you're going to see a higher percentage of the guys with more offers pan out than guys with no other offers. Especially if they can stay committed and not get in off-the-field trouble.

Per Vito's blog entry when Brooks committed:

"Brooks had offers from SMU, Oklahoma State and Arkansas."

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2011/01/tuesday-230-pm-recruiting-upat.html/

Interesting. I am not surprised recruiting results show an upward trend. This is Macs 4th year? His first recruiting class if I recall correctly was frantic sprint to throw something together as I think he wasn't hired till December? If I am remembering that correctly, it really says watch year 5 and 6 when he has had a chance to really get his recruiting classes thru the program. First year recruiting when you are hired at end of recruiting season is a crap shoot.

Oh, and for the "making excuses" responses that are coming, f-off, sorry if others seek to understand the situation and make intelligent conclusions and decisions rather than just mindlessly babble the same crap over and over.

I am in the camp that doesn't want to hear the excuses. Good recruiters bring in kids with other offers no matter what.

What does concern me about the 2016-2017 classes is that if we aren't able to have a good year this year, and/or next year, then those recruiting classes will likely suffer as a result. Mac hasn't recruited well when we're losing on the field. And he's going to have to do it with the remaining players from his first 3 classes as the upperclassmen and stars of the team. Do they have what it takes to lead us to solid seasons? If that can happen then we'll be in even better shape.

I'd love to someday find out the true story behind the one game career of Terrell Brooks.

Maybe ESPN will do a 5 for 5 on it or something...

Brooks has played in two games for Baylor this season and made one tackle. Would you rather start for a team that will always be fighting for bowl eligibility or barely play for a national title contender?

Brooks has played in two games for Baylor this season and made one tackle. Would you rather start for a team that will always be fighting for bowl eligibility or barely play for a national title contender?

Me? I'd play for UNT.

Brooks? Well, I think we know his answer.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

Biased reply: I'll never understand someone who commits to Baylor after seeing Waco.

Let's not kid ourselves about Baylor. Art Briles is an incredible coach and master mind in the spread offense, but he is even more of a Recruiter! He recruited at Houston before leaving for Baylor and was a big part of turning that program around. He recruited RG3 to Houston and he de-committed and followed Briles to Waco... He is a heck of a recruiter and that is why Baylor is a top 10 team so quickly. As for Baylor the school, Baylor is a good education, let's not kid ourselves about this either.

• Upvote 4

If we could only get some of these type players, freaking incredible! Start as freshman and have them all 4 years going to bowls games and winning them year after year! This would change everything in no time! And to think the best athletes come from here, the best, right here in TEXAS! So frustrating!

Do yourself a favor and watch this kid's highlights, talk about a pure freak! His speed and quickness is unreal, speed kills!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fQICiVR8LYA

Edited by MeanGreen01

My key:

A+(0):

14 total

B(7): '14 Jalen Montgomery, '14 Brandon Garner, '14 Andrew Jones, '14 Connor Means, '15 Nate Brooks, '15 Cody Wheeler, '15 RD Wegmann

16 total

This is an extremely well researched and composed post, and I appreciate the effort. This type of post reflects exactly what we should be seeing here on GMG.Com. Alas, we do not. Really appreciate being on point, not trying to be too negative or too positive and certainly not trying to derail the thread with "cuteness". Many thanks for your effort here.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

I agree with the explanation (not excuse) for his 1st season. However, his 2nd season is the big problem. That class also has not panned out.

But I'll offer a different explanation. It may not be because he cannot recruit, it's more likely because he was kind of a nobody. Besides diehards Big 8 fans from the mid 2000's who knew he gave Iowa State their few glory years, no one knew who he was. He was the anti-Dodge. Dodge was able to get people's attention so he was able to recruit right off the bat. Once people saw he was a terrible coach in FBS, his recruiting tanked. It looks like Mac's 3rd and 4th classes are better, probably because he finally started to establish a relationship in this state, and the team started doing better.

I'm with Billy though, can he keep it up. As it looks like this year will not be a bowl season, does our recruiting suffer. If not, then this season may be a bump in the road. If it does take a hit, then you can say he's not a good recruiter.

• Upvote 2

Waco is nothing great as we all know but a lot of kids prefer to go to a school where it is out in the middle of no where and it's a college town... Gettin' away from the parentals if you will. I know most of us feel Denton is the place and land where the beer flows like wine, especially if we can keep all the Sack & Saves around the university and city (tongue and cheek) but I do believe places like Lubbock Texas Tech, Manhattan KS Kansas St., and so on have their place and kids want to go anyway. Especially if you can play for a coach you can believe in, runs an exciting brand of football, and will get some spotlight on national TV.

And of course, the coach allows his players to Tweet! Ha :)

Edited by MeanGreen01

Your football memory is astonishing.

How many UNT football game programs do you have in your home library?

I don't know what Joe Bob Lipsey you might know of, but my reference is the Joe Bob Lipsey from "A Tuna Christmas". Joe Bob is the put- upon (and hy-po-gly-see-mic) director of the Tuna production of "a Christmas Carol". In one of his rants he declares ‘Heck, I’m a theatre professional. I’ve been to Waco.

It's become one of my wife's and mine favorite lines when we come across someone who is (for no good reason) self-important and full of themselves. We'll just look at one another and say "you know, I bet he's been to Waco!

• Upvote 1

This is an excellent post Billie. I'm worried about the negative effect on recruiting from consecutive losing seasons. We appear to be heading that way with the QB position in disarray and Mac's own bread & butter, his defense, struggling so much. This program already walks a tightrope across the grand canyon in regards to recruiting.

Edited by Got5onIt

I'd rather be playing no matter what happens. I'd rather have the opportunity to make plays then ride the coattails of (obviously) better players. Where's the fun in that?