DRC Monday column: There's more to worry about than Dajon

Brett Vito

I am not worried at all about Dajon. I don't see him as one that will be the cause of losses for us. If anything, he is saving our season considering our stable.

I disagree, I'm thinking he will cause one loss by making freshman mistakes (picks, fumble, take a bad sack, etc...). It's understandable and as long as he learns from them he (and we) will be fine in the long run.

Ever since he was named North Texas’ starting quarterback a couple of weeks ago, Dajon Williams hasn’t just ranked as a hot topic of conversation when it comes to the Mean Green.

The redshirt freshman has pretty much been the only topic of conversation, which is completely understandable.

Williams is the Mean Green’s starting quarterback and a tantalizing talent just getting his start on the college level.

Following UNT’s 49-24 loss to Indiana on Saturday in his second start, one has to wonder if Williams isn’t something else as well — a big distraction masking a host of other pressing issues for a team that finds itself in a 2-3 hole for the second straight year.

Read more: http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/sports-headlines/20141005-brett-vito-football-williams-masking-different-problems.ece

During the Texas game I commented/complained that too many of the tackles are being made by DB's. After Saturday, it looks like not even the DB's are tackling anymore.

I'll say this for the umpteenth time. We need some dominating DT's on our team. We have hard working guys out there, but not dominating players. We are in our fourth year of having a head coach who is known for defense AND who coached the D-line for Florida. And we do not have even one dominating defensive tackle out there.

If we can't get dominating players directly out of HS, then how about converting/developing some. There was a dominating DE playing for TCU a few years ago that played RB in HS. The LB making the big play for TCU in the OU game (Dawson #47) was (according to the ST reporter in today's paper) a former WR? Roberts and Polk are two pretty good examples of converting players, but their main strength is pressuring the QB. I rarely see either of them making tackles at the line of scrimmage....or behind the line for that matter.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 3

Agree about the lack of play makers at WR outside of Carlos Harris. We have some talented WR's wearing redshirts right now. Burn them, it's critical for program momentum to make a bowl again this year.

True Story.

Our only receivers over 6-0 are run blockers. The case of the dropsies was bad this weekend, and they continue to show lack of physicality off the blocks.

Get these Carthage boys out there, and make Dajon the Mean Green Hannibal.

Roman-war-elephant.jpeg

Boom. Historied.

• Upvote 1

During the Texas game I commented/complained that too many of the tackles are being made by DB's. After Saturday, it looks like not even the DB's are tackling anymore.

I'll say this for the umpteenth time. We need some dominating DT's on our team. We have hard working guys out there, but not dominating players. We are in our fourth year of having a head coach who is known for defense AND who coached the D-line for Florida. And we do not have even one dominating defensive tackle out there.

If we can't get dominating players directly out of HS, then how about converting/developing some. There was a dominating DE playing for TCU a few years ago that played RB in HS. The LB making the big play for TCU in the OU game (Dawson #47) was (according to the ST reporter in today's paper) a former WR? Roberts and Polk are two pretty good examples of converting players, but their main strength is pressuring the QB. I rarely see either of them making tackles at the line of scrimmage....or behind the line for that matter.

You can't compare what Mac had to work with talent wise at Florida to our situation. There he is getting some of the best defensive line talent in the country.

I do agree that we have struggled getting good sized defensive tackles in the program. They have tried, A good example of this was Charles Walker from South Grand Prairie who the identified in his senior season and committed only to get swept up by OU at the last minute. He's a redshirt freshman for them and doesn't appear to be playing. He would have been a day one starter for us. The power programs stockpile the best ones because they can.

I think you need to try and add some impact from transfers. UTSA did this as their starting DT Mabry was originally as OSU signee and they have a good defensive end who transferred from Baylor. To think that you will be able to overcome the stockpiling issues all the g5 face on the best high school defensive linemen is a stretch.

You can't compare what Mac had to work with talent wise at Florida to our situation. There he is getting some of the best defensive line talent in the country.

I do agree that we have struggled getting good sized defensive tackles in the program. They have tried, A good example of this was Charles Walker from South Grand Prairie who the identified in his senior season and committed only to get swept up by OU at the last minute. He's a redshirt freshman for them and doesn't appear to be playing. He would have been a day one starter for us. The power programs stockpile the best ones because they can.

I think you need to try and add some impact from transfers. UTSA did this as their starting DT Mabry was originally as OSU signee and they have a good defensive end who transferred from Baylor. To think that you will be able to overcome the stockpiling issues all the g5 face on the best high school defensive linemen is a stretch.

Tillman and Tauaalo seem like good pickups. Miller and Wegman next year too

What I'm saying is SURELY all his previous coaching stints, the most high profile being at Florida, Coach Mac developed lots of connections around the nation where some HS/Jr. College coach would pick up the phone and say "Hey Mac, I hear you need help in the DL, I think I've got something for you".

Does Mac not have ANY connections out there?

I don't care if all our future dominating DL's come from Texas, Florida, Iowa, Wisconsin or Tierra del Fuego high school. Just so long as they are big, nasty, and take at least two blockers to handle.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

What I'm saying is SURELY all his previous coaching stints, the most high profile being at Florida, Coach Mac developed lots of connections around the nation where some HS/Jr. College coach would pick up the phone and say "Hey Mac, I hear you need help in the DL, I think I've got something for you".

Does Mac not have ANY connections out there?

My hunch is twofold: first, a good defensive tackle is all about size and strength, and if you're not consistently recruiting three star or above DTs, then you're recruiting guys that have to bulk up and get stronger. That takes time, often times two or more years. Second, because impact DTs are such a scarce commodity, the contending Top 25 programs stockpile them. If half of them prove to be busts, they still have enough quality recruits to consistently have good enough or great interior defensive line play.

I think Mac has a great network, but at a scarce position, a great network likely isn't a deal breaker when a 300 lb. three star DT gets a chance to play for A&M or UT or OU versus coming here. If we post some consistent winning seasons and go to and win some bowl games, especially HoD or other Texas bowls, maybe that will change. For now, though, my feeling is that the best we can hope for regarding an impact DT is an offer falling through or some other measure of fate that lands someone here.

Vito:

Some of those issues, including those on the defensive side of the ball, were hard to see coming

Hard to see coming? By who? Not me. I pointed out all last year we were in trouble losing 6 of our starting front 7.....and out of Dodge players to back fill with.

Absolutely dead on silver. I'm not believing that after all these "skins on the wall" worth of experience that Mac can't at least find another Richard Abbé somewhere and not have to rely on walk-ons? It's year 4. It's past time to produce.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1