Allen Qb Nathan Dick Back On The Market

http://recruitingbuzz.beloblog.com/archive...the_market.html

January 15, 2007

Allen QB is back on the market

Allen QB Nathan Dick confirmed today that he is looking around and does not consider himself committed to Rice after head coach Todd Graham and offensive coordinator Major Applewhite both left the school in the last several days.

Dick, who had meetings set up with Arkansas and Houston for today, has talked to Rice coaches since Graham and Applewhite left, but for now, he wants to weigh his options.

"I'm OK with it," Dick said. "I wanted to go to Rice, but everybody has left."

Dick is speaking of course of Graham, the former Allen coach who made what looks like a lateral move by going to Tulsa last week.

And Dick is speaking of Applewhite, who continued his meteoric rise by taking an assistant's position at Alabama under new coach Nick Saban. Applewhite had been recruiting Dick at Rice and attended at least of one of Allen's playoff games when the Eagles defeated Spring Westfield in dramatic fashion in overtime.

Dick said hasn't talked to Alabama or Applewhite since the former Texas quarterback left Rice. Dick did send a text message to Applewhite, but he has not heard back from him yet.

Dick said he will not follow Graham to Tulsa because the Golden Hurricane has a stockpile of quarterbacks.

It would be interesting to see if Dick ends up with the Razorbacks, where his brother Casey has been involved in a revolving door situation at quarterback with Arkansas schoolboy legend Mitch Mustain.

Late in the season Mustain's mother, Beck Campbell, and other Springfield parents complained to Arkansas athletic director Frank Broyles about Houston Nutt's offensive scheme, which instead of the no-huddle was devised to take advantage of what might be the best two running backs in college football, Darren McFadden and Felix Jones.

But alas, Mustain might leave Arkansas after offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn, Mustain's high school coach, bolted for Tulsa on Monday to join -- you guessed -- apparent long lost friend Graham.

Will this soap opera ever end?

Posted by Todd Wills at 12:56 PM (E-mail this entry) | Comments (0)

But alas, Mustain might leave Arkansas after offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn, Mustain's high school coach, bolted for Tulsa on Monday to join -- you guessed -- apparent long lost friend Graham.

I hadn't heard about Malzahn leaving. I thought Graham was out of his mind to take a lateral step at best in leaving Rice, but leaving the Razorbacks for an assistant position with Tulsa?!?

I hadn't heard about Malzahn leaving. I thought Graham was out of his mind to take a lateral step at best in leaving Rice, but leaving the Razorbacks for an assistant position with Tulsa?!?

He wasn't calling plays at Arkansas so it may be a step down but he's going to have more responsibility.

He wasn't calling plays at Arkansas so it may be a step down but he's going to have more responsibility.

Nope, he wasn't, and Nutt had no plans to let him this coming year. In fact, Nutt had made calls to get the current Cowboys assistant, David Lee in next year to share the OC duties with Gus. It is a joke up there, but if you are Nathan Dick, and you want to play, why wouldn't you go up there? After all, his brother is starting before the National Gatoraide Player of the Year QB signee.

I bet you TD goes after Nathan if he thinks he can use him. He would be a good player here.

You realize that Tulsa doubled Graham' s salary to leave Rice. I don't think many of us woould twice tha salary to change for a better position or at least a lateral one.

You realize that Tulsa doubled Graham' s salary to leave Rice. I don't think many of us woould twice tha salary to change for a better position or at least a lateral one.

I would. In fact, I've seen it happen with my job twice now in which people leave for a so called better job, or double their pay only to come right back. And I have heard the stories of countless other over the years. One guy from a class a year or two before me was smart about it though. He was degreed and landed an offer from Burlington Northern that "Tripled" his salary. But instead of just quitting he paid guys out of his class to work his shift during the weekdays, then worked his own on the weekends just to be safe and "give it a try". 2 months later he told BN to stick it because the job wasn't what they had promised. Sadly, others were not so smart and have regretted their decisions, because once you quit you can't "try out" after age 35.

The grass isn't always greener.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick