North Texas Patient Tested for Ebola Virus

So I present a study that disproves what you say, and you reply with "but I feel differently." Very liberal of you.

You presented a study that shows texting is a distraction. Are any of us shocked by that?

Where are your studies about other distractions in vehicles? How about tuning the radio? Looking at nab systems? Although both take the eyes off the road, the mental involvement is the most important thing.

It's like the stupidity of outlawing cell phone calls while driving, yet allowing blue tooth speaker calls. Just stupid.

When you present a study that covers other distractions in vehicles and how much more likely they are to cause an accident, come back and talk to me. Otherwise you are just telling us what we already know.

When you present a study that covers other distractions in vehicles and how much more likely they are to cause an accident, come back and talk to me.

Do some of the research, LIKE WE DID.

Some activities—such as texting—take the driver’s attention away from driving more frequently and for longer periods than other distractions.

But, because text messaging requires visual, manual, and cognitive attention from the driver, it is by far the most alarming distraction.

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Policy Statement and Compiled Facts on Distracted Driving. Washington, DC: US Department of Transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 2011. Available from: http://www.nhtsa.gov/External Web Site Icon. Accessed May 23, 2013.

Enact texting bans. Texting is more obviously distracting and counter to good driving practice than cell phone use.

Governors Highway Safety Association - Distracted Driving: What Research Shows and What States Can Do

Subtask Rate Ratio 95% Confidence Interval

Text-related 2.12 1.14 - 3.96

Visual-manual

Talking/Listening 0.84 0.55 - 1.29

Portable Hands-free 1.06 0.49 - 2.30

Cell Phone Use

Integrated 0.57 0.25 - 1.31

Hands-free

Cell Phone Use

Virginia Tech Transportation Institute - The Impact of Hand-Held and Hands-Free Cell Phone Use on Driving Performance and Safety Critical Event Risk

I'm not on a UNT network right now, so I don't have access to the research db's the school pays for, so that will have to do for now.

• Upvote 2

No one in this thread will die of Ebola. At least one person in this thread will die of heart disease, at least a couple will die of cancer, the way the I35 project is going the likely hood of one of us being killed in a car wreck is pretty good.

You know who has a relatively high chance of being killed by Ebola? Those poor bastards who by chance of fate happened to be born in West Africa. If you really want to stop people from dying of Ebola, donate to MSF.

For as much drinking and red meat you bastards consume, I would put my money on colon cancer...

http://youtu.be/1_WOR22-SnY

Edited by Got5onIt

Do some of the research, LIKE WE DID.

I'm not on a UNT network right now, so I don't have access to the research db's the school pays for, so that will have to do for now.

So how is looking down to tune your radio or punch in an address into your Nav system any different than texting?

Where are any studies of distractions NOT INVOLVING A CELL PHONE?

So how is looking down to tune your radio or punch in an address into your Nav system any different than texting?

Where are any studies of distractions NOT INVOLVING A CELL PHONE?

Read the first NHTSA study. Did you get a degree without a lab science requirement? Where are your studies proving anything you are claiming?

Read the first NHTSA study. Did you get a degree without a lab science requirement? Where are your studies proving anything you are claiming?

Too much time to waste on a silly Internet argument.

So do you propose outlawing all of these things that cause a distraction, including passengers (especially kids)?

Because that was the genesis for this whole conversation.

• Downvote 3