North Texas Patient Tested for Ebola Virus

Look who you're asking brah. And while I'm no fan of Jesse Jackson, the family invited him to Dallas and nothing in his press conference had any racial undertones. It's angry white conservatives just looking for another partisan battle when there isn't one.

Apparently you missed JWP'a comments.

I'm sure it's just a councidemce he made them while JJ is in town...

• Upvote 1

Most people here probably don't care about a wildfire on the African plains, but a big one in California or even Central Texas is sure to get their attention. Protests/riots in Seoul might get a mention on the nightly news, one in a smallish Missouri town dominates coverage for days.

So how is this news story any different than all the others? Or maybe more bluntly, what's your point?

USA Today: "Obama Administration Scraps Quarantine Regulation"

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/washington/2010-04-01-quarantine_N.htm

Rick

From your article:

The regulations, proposed in 2005 during the Bush administration amid fears of avian flu, would have given the federal government additional powers to detain sick airline passengers and those exposed to certain diseases. They also would have expanded requirements for airlines to report ill passengers to the CDC and mandated that airlines collect and maintain contact information for fliers in case they later needed to be traced as part of an investigation into an outbreak.

Jennifer Nuzzo, at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center's Center for Biosecurity, said the rapid worldwide spread of swine flu showed flaws in the proposed regulations' premise.

"They probably learned during H1N1 that this hope of preventing diseases from entering the country by stationing people at airports is unrealistic," she said.

He wasn't sick, and he didn't know he was exposed to a person who was sick. The regulation wouldn't have mattered even if it was in place, and it wasn't a very good regulation to begin with. Had it been applied the dude could have been quarantined in an airport for up to 3 days, and he still would've been let go because he was asymptomatic.

Cute headline for your type to parrot, but the devil is in the details.

Edited by Coffee and TV
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

From your article:

He wasn't sick, and he didn't know he was exposed to a person who was sick. The regulation wouldn't have mattered even if it was in place, and it wasn't a very good regulation to begin with. Had it been applied the dude could have been quarantined in an airport for up to 3 days, and he still would've been let go because he was asymptomatic.

Cute headline for your type to parrot, but the devil is in the details.

If and Buts, the fact is CDC wanted it in place and your guy had it removed. Now, like so many other decisions by him, it turns out to have been another bad one.

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Man that is great to hear! We have about a week and a half to go.

"Obama is infecting Christians with Ebola to Start a new age of liberal darkness"

http://christwire.org/2014/08/obama-is-infecting-christians-with-ebola-to-destroy-jesus-and-start-a-new-age-of-liberal-darkness/

Chris

That had some of the funniest crap on that site, look at the news desk.

"NEW JERSEY CUSTOMS AGENT: WE'RE NOT PREPARED FOR EBOLA"

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/10/08/New-Jersey-Customs-Agent-We-re-Not-Prepared-for-Ebola

President Barack Obama finally announced that five of the nations largest international airports will begin Ebola screenings in an effort to identify possible Ebola carriers and prevent an outbreak here at home.

Federal officials plan to implement the new screening regime at New York's Kennedy International, Washington D.C.'s Dulles, Chicago's O'Hare, Hartsfield-Jackson in Atlanta, and Newark's Liberty International.

But a new report by a Customs agent at Newark's Liberty Airport says they are not ready at all if Ebola happens to show up in New Jersey.

"They are assuring the public everything is being done, but it is not," the agent told New York's NBC 4.

The agent, who wanted to stay anonymous, noted that no doctors or CDC personnel had been assigned to his airport for any flights from Africa or countries with connecting flights to Ebola effected areas.

Rick

If and Buts,

Of course we're basing this off of an "if" because the regulations weren't in place.

the fact is CDC wanted it in place

Oh they did?

CDC spokeswoman Christine Pearson said in a statement Thursday that the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the CDC's parent agency, withdrew the proposed regulations after discussion across the government made it clear that "further revision and reconsideration is necessary to update the regulations."

Even in the Bush administration, some were skeptical of the CDC's 2005 proposal, said Stewart Baker, assistant secretary for policy at the Department of Homeland Security from 2005 to 2009. "There were a lot of questions about how plausible it was to treat airports as a place where you could stop and inspect and quarantine people," Baker said Thursday.

Now, like so many other decisions by him, it turns out to have been another bad one.

Like when Republicans cut back security at foreign embassies before Benghazi?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

If and Buts, the fact is CDC wanted it in place and your guy had it removed. Now, like so many other decisions by him, it turns out to have been another bad one.

Rick

Actually not entirely the full reason it was canceled as the USA Today article points out, it was the ACLU who first opposed the regulations. Thank goodness we have the ACLU standing in the way between us and the next pandemic, right?

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

HHS secretary: There may be other cases of Ebola in the U.S.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/article/2554588

Secretary of Health and Human Services Sylvia Burwell said that despite the best efforts of health officials, Americans have to prepare for the reality that there may be more cases of Ebola in the United States.

What? I thought there was no reason for alarm?

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

So Tailgate food if you have some is what 1 in 100,000,000 you it will be the direct cause of death?

Tail gate food leads to obesity and heart disease. Those kill on average ~900,000 Americans a year. Every single person in this thread has a lot more to fear from their diet than Ebola.

Of course, I am semi joking here. But the fact remains that one person has died of Ebola in the US. One guy died from choking at sausage eating contest in Wisconsin this year. Listeria in sausage has killed 12 people in Denmark this year.

Stay away from anyone who is clearly ill. Try not to touch strangers bodily excretions. First world diseases (diet/exercise) will kill many people in this thread. The chances of anyone dying of a third world disease is small. For Ebola is pretty much nil.

If your going to waste a large amount of brain cycles worrying about something, worry about the Yellowstone Super Caldera. North Texas is right on the edge of "dying instantly" and "dying within hours" on most models, so rest assured if it does blow and we do survive I'll try and make one last point saying "I told you so" in this thread.

MAKE SURE YOU UPVOTE ME WITH YOUR DYING BREATH.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Tail gate food leads to obesity and heart disease. Those kill on average ~900,000 Americans a year. Every single person in this thread has a lot more to fear from their diet than Ebola.

Of course, I am semi joking here. But the fact remains that one person has died of Ebola in the US. One guy died from choking at sausage eating contest in Wisconsin this year. Listeria in sausage has killed 12 people in Denmark this year.

Stay away from anyone who is clearly ill. Try not to touch strangers bodily excretions. First world diseases (diet/exercise) will kill many people in this thread. The chances of anyone dying of a third world disease is small. For Ebola is pretty much nil.

If your going to waste a large amount of brain cycles worrying about something, worry about the Yellowstone Super Caldera. North Texas is right on the edge of "dying instantly" and "dying within hours" on most models, so rest assured if it does blow and we do survive I'll try and make one last point saying "I told you so" in this thread.

MAKE SURE YOU UPVOTE ME WITH YOUR DYING BREATH.

I can see how I too could keep pointing things like this out if I flew a desk for a living.

Rick

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

I can see how I too could keep pointing things like this out if I flew a desk for a living.

Rick

Rick, you've had enough smarts, training and equipment to avoid all the other bodily fluid born diseases so far, most of which are much more contagious than Ebola. I assumed you you'd be able to take care of yourself here. No doubt your running more risk than most people.

The doctors and nurses going to West Africa and trying to fight the problem, often lacking everything including running water, are the ones taking enormous risks and that is why they are getting infected.