Coach's Show 9/15

meangreen15

He did not allow Dajon for media day interviews although I am sure everyone wants to talk with him. He wants Dajon to "do something" before he speaks to the media and I appreciate that.

He stated his offense and specifically the passing game was "inept" and it was the worst 3-game run of passing he has had in his entire career. Clear to state that it is not all the QB's and that the WR need to step up a lot as well.

They had Alexander Lincoln and Malik Dilonga as guests, both well spoken. Funny nickname for Lincoln, "Link Sandwich". Both spoke highly of Coach Patrick.

Still pleased with the student turnout at the games.

Says that Dajon is showing more maturity but needs to be more vocal. Seems to be buying into the fact that Dajon has matured and hopes he will rise to the challenge.

Alexander Lincoln and Malik Delonga represented well.

I was particularly impressed with Delonga, who sounded like a guy having a conversation in his living room when talking with Georgio. Very relaxed and answered every question immediately and without any nerves. A lot of people on this board couldn't do that when faced with a live audience and a microphone. Smooth voice. He sounded like a beat reporter giving a report on the team (except he seemed to get the meaning of the word concise...). I don;t know if he is a RFTV major, but he would have a bright future in that field.

What more can the WR's do? Mac states "they need to do more." What can they do when there was a poor decision made in the beginning on the QB choice. I've seen multiple occasions where WR's are open and the QB only states down one and then with that he could not get the ball to them. Bottom line is they took a chance on this transfer because of there issues with DW. They knew where the best talent was they just took a chance and it failed and cost us a conference game. We ran the ball most of the game because of there lack of confidence in the QB. Let's call it what it is.

• Upvote 3

What more can the WR's do? Mac states "they need to do more." What can they do when there was a poor decision made in the beginning on the QB choice. I've seen multiple occasions where WR's are open and the QB only states down one and then with that he could not get the ball to them. Bottom line is they took a chance on this transfer because of there issues with DW. They knew where the best talent was they just took a chance and it failed and cost us a conference game. We ran the ball most of the game because of there lack of confidence in the QB. Let's call it what it is.

Coach Speak

Haven't listened to this one. I mean, what's he gonna say, "I sacrificed two games to make a disciplinary point, and it totally backfired on me, so I'm going to take full responsibility for an erroneous decision and hand the reins over to our only quarterback who can play?" Of course not. He's gotta spread it around or he loses his authority and respect with the team. I get that, I really do, but man is it hard to watch from a fan's perspective. In every aspect of life other than politics and coaching, we admire people for living up to their mistakes. In politics and coaching, it's a career death knell to ever admit even the smallest iota of a smidgen of erroneous decision making.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Haven't listened to this one. I mean, what's he gonna say, "I sacrificed two games to make a disciplinary point, and it totally backfired on me, so I'm going to take full responsibility for an erroneous decision and hand the reins over to our only quarterback who can play?" Of course not. He's gotta spread it around or he loses his authority and respect with the team. I get that, I really do, but man is it hard to watch from a fan's perspective. In every aspect of life other than politics and coaching, we admire people for living up to their mistakes. In politics and coaching, it's a career death knell to ever admit even the smallest iota of a smidgen of erroneous decision making.

If you listen to Mac, I think you'll change your opinion. I don't believe DW not starting had anything to do with discipline but had everything to do with DW not being ready. In fact, with all the time that DW missed in fall camp it's surprising he's played as much as he has.

• Upvote 1

If you listen to Mac, I think you'll change your opinion. I don't believe DW not starting had anything to do with discipline but had everything to do with DW not being ready. In fact, with all the time that DW missed in fall camp it's surprising he's played as much as he has.

And he is magically ready at the precise moment that we need him to be ready?

Don't believe the coach speak. If Greer had been anything close to adequate, DW would still be on the sideline. This isn't a move the coaches wanted to make, it's a move they had to make.

With DW's lack of conditioning, lets just hope he can stay healthy and be somewhat better than what Greer and McNulty rolled out there.

• Upvote 4

Don't believe the coach speak. If Greer had been anything close to adequate, DW would still be on the sideline. This isn't a move the coaches wanted to make, it's a move they had to make.

With DW's lack of conditioning, lets just hope he can stay healthy and be somewhat better than what Greer and McNulty rolled out there.

I agree. I have no doubt DW would still be on the bench if Greer or McNulty had been able to do anything on the field.

So we were lucky they were that bad then? /shrug

Or we're unlucky Greer couldn't do a decent imitation of DT?

Or unlucky that DW couldn't grow up a little faster?

Or extremely lucky that we have DW to step in and give our offense a chance?

It's all a matter of perspective.

Edited by NorthTexan95
  • Upvote 1

It is very possible receivers are out of position on timing routes. The idea is to throw to a spot and it's up to the receiver to get there. That said, I don't think receiver mistakes have been the major problem! On a few plays, but not most.

And most of our routes are not pure timing routes. Most are see who is open and get the ball to them.

So we were lucky they were that bad then? /shrug

I think we were lucky that La Tech whipped us, and did it early enough to look for another option. Dajon just took advantage of the opportunity.

Even if the game was close and we barely lost, Greer would still be the QB with some coachspeak. we smashmouth Nichols and get destroyed by Indiana with Greer choking again with no running game. Season done.

At least now, we have a shot. We should be working either mini Mac or means in with the twos. Cant install an offense for a mobile qb, then go back to a statue.

You hit the nail on the head. It's been clear since last year that DW was the future at the QB position for UNT. We have longed for a dual threat QB. They knew he was the most talented at the position and as a Coach they should have pushed harder to groom DW last year into taking the reins for this season. There's no excuse for how they looked over this kid and did not invest more effort into preparing this kid for this year. The coaches wanted us to be patient with Greer who was obviously not ready for Division 1 speed of football but because you felt he looked the part but not the on field talent was poor decision that as you said backfired. Now that was time and losses wasted on who you CLEARLY knew was the best on the field. You have to Coach each kind differently. QB position is one of those position that is worth going above and beyond to secure a good relationship. DW is not DT he clearly has some immaturity but you have to surround him and nurture your best talent at QB. It can make or break your Team as we have seen. I wasnt expecting Mac to come out and say they made a bad choice. of course he wouldn't but what I did expect is before it even got to this point the coaches evaultion should have been more precise and calculated and less about trying prove a point at the risk of the season.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

I still don't look at this as Greer or DW, as far as the choices the coaches had. As inadequate as Greer looked to me last spring I would have put McNulty out there or burned the RS on Means. And if DW gets hurt in the next few weeks, those would still be my choices.

If DW gets hurt, I think the only option is to burn Means red shirt and hope for the best.

Of course, this depends on when DW gets hurt (hopefully never). If there are 2 games left and we have nothing to play for, please don't pull a Todd Dodge and burn Means's shirt.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

If DW gets hurt, I think the only option is to burn Means red shirt and hope for the best.

Of course, this depends on when DW gets hurt (hopefully never). If there are 2 games left and we have nothing to play for, please don't pull a Todd Dodge and burn Means's shirt.

Unless you really feel that Greer or McNulty are the future, I agree. You would have to burn the redshirt at that point in order to figure out if you take a 2nd QB in this class.

Greer is clearly not the answer, at least not right now. The only time he looked even decent was against the slowest, worst defense we'll play all year (SMU). Dial it up even a notch, and he looks lost (La. Tech).

McNulty...this is his fourth year here. If he's not ready by now, then he never will be.

• Upvote 1