Breaking news — UNT player arrested over weekend

Harry

I mean... can really even consider that a real charge? how can you be arrested for evading arrest? doesn't that mean the crime wasn't even

Please, try the fish!

The actual charge is Evading Arrest/Detention. Often what will occur (in NO way am I assuming this occurred here) is that the officer will see suspicious behavior, stop you to investigate and you run away. The original act may no longer be investigatable because you've left the original location.

The real question is whether he (allegedly) evaded on foot or in a vehicle. The penalty grade is different.

• Upvote 3

I mean... can really even consider that a real charge? how can you be arrested for evading arrest? doesn't that mean the crime wasn't even committed?

Please, try the fish!

It's actually called evading arrest or detention.

Sec. 38.04. EVADING ARREST OR DETENTION. (a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally flees from a person he knows is a peace officer or federal special investigator attempting lawfully to arrest or detain him.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/docs/PE/htm/PE.38.htm

Edited by Army of Dad
  • Upvote 1

The actual charge is Evading Arrest/Detention. Often what will occur (in NO way am I assuming this occurred here) is that the officer will see suspicious behavior, stop you to investigate and you run away. The original act may no longer be investigatable because you've left the original location.

The real question is whether he (allegedly) evaded on foot or in a vehicle. The penalty grade is different.

Evading in a vehicle is a felony, on top of being really really dangerous.

His bail is $500, which almost assuredly makes this evading on foot or resisting arrest or detention. The actual charge is Evading or resisting arrest.

Edited by UNT90

Would the $500 bond amount tell us which (vehicle VS foot)?

Thanks for posting Vito and Harry... We appreciate it.

After talking to my brother and our parents- it's better that the real story comes out than your very crazy imaginations start to make assumptions. And I was asked to reply.

Saturday night most of the football team went to Fry Street to celebrate the win. After hanging out with some friends, instead of getting in the car with an intoxicated driver, John opted to walk back to the dorms instead. He was alone. As he was walking he passed by some university police. He went around a corner where he was no longer visible and started to run only to run into a police car at the end of the street. They saw him and saw that he was running, suspected that he was up to no good and he was arrested.

It was very stupid. He knows that and believe me he has been punished enough with the guilt of letting his coaches, team and the mean green Fanbase down. He has been suspended for La Tech only. He is The last kid that you would think that would get in trouble like this. His coaching staff could not even believe that it was him and questioned that they had the wrong name. But regardless, he is taking responsibility and understands the consequences of his lax judgment.

I would appreciate it if you would all take that into consideration before any further posts. There are no excuses. But, for anyone on here that has never made a mistake- feel free to throw your stones.

He is beating himself up enough.

*** on a sidenote- knowing that more than a few of you have my contact information: It is a little disappointing that you did not contact me to clarify before posting.

All kids make mistakes. This is a Class B misdemeanor. I'll remind our fans that A LOT of you committed the same crime when you stormed the field at the Cotton Bowl after the HOD bowl when you ignored the cops and ran from them onto the field. Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3