Breaking news — Two UNT players arrested

Harry

So we are talking about a 32-inch Samsung and a 24-inch Sanyo? I mean how much is that actually worth? I would think it might be less than $500. Do these guys not get TV's in their dorm rooms?

The more I think about this the more I lean towards suspension NOT termination. I think we should try to use this as a message to the team in terms of how they should be held to a higher standard as student athletes. I think we owe it to these guys to help them to learn from this.

I can tell you this, if Mac handles this similar to Abbe, the coaching staff will vote on the punishment and Mac takes that into account but has the ultimate say even veto power.

I know some believe you have to cut them loose to set the right example to the team but frankly this is a minor enough an offense that I think you should try to rehabilitate if you can.

I heard Ben beat up an ATM and threw it out a window WHILE eating a whole live chicken.

These two are not the first and they won't be the last NT students to do something really, truly stupid. How they react going forward is going to be more telling of the quality of their personal character than committing the act itself.

By the way, I've been asking people as I work with them this morning about the word "thug." Not one has thought it was racial. One African-American man told me thugs have no respect for people or the law. It's not racial, it's criminal he said.

Video of Ben before his crime...

• Upvote 3

Not really a fair comparison and I'll tell you why.

Many on here can sympathize with Abbé because THEY DID THE EXACT SAME THING while in college.

Several may still be doing it today. People tend to judge lass harshly when they have committed the conduct themselves. I don't think a lot of people on here walked out of a Walmart without paying for a TV when they were in college.

I think the better comparison would be Stock. While his crime was maybe much more aggregious (we don't know the full story on it, either), it is conduct that I think very few engaged in as a college student.

People tend to justify their own wrong doings while being ultra quick to try and convict others based on news reports (eapecially the younger generation). Even you have been guilty of this in the past. It's just human nature.

Realistic points. I would bet that the majority (easily) of the regular posters on this board have driven drunk before, but likely only a handful have done something such as stealing TV's from a Walmart or beating someone to within an inch of their life. Not that I hope these guys are lushes or stoners, but hopefully intoxication is a partial excuse for their stupidity, because that was one REALLY stupid thing to do. For their sake, hopefully getting caught straightens them out and keeps them from having a long future in Huntsville. For our sake, I think their fate should be based on their overall character, and I guess that is just going to be left up to Mac and the justice system.

Harassing? I don't think so. So the moral that you got out of this was for me not to express my disappointment directly to the source. I thought it should be something along the lines of not stealing TV's.

For the record, I sent Sed one negative tweet then immediately followed it with another apologizing after I realized I may have jumped the gun a little. He responded and I reiterated my apology to him.

Far from harassment.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

Realistic points. I would bet that the majority (easily) of the regular posters on this board have driven drunk before, but likely only a handful have done something such as stealing TV's from a Walmart

The problem is that DRIVING DRUNK IS MUCH WORSE THAN STEALING TV'S FROM A WALMART. No one going to become a quadriplegic, or live the rest of their lives without their spouse, or have to come upon a wreck with body parts lying in the road because you walked out with a tv.

Those are all very real possible outcomes of drunk driving. In effect, UNT90's argument is "We can't understand what they did because we have done something much worse ourselves."

So we are talking about a 32-inch Samsung and a 24-inch Sanyo? I mean how much is that actually worth? I would think it might be less than $500. Do these guys not get TV's in their dorm rooms?

The more I think about this the more I lean towards suspension NOT termination. I think we should try to use this as a message to the team in terms of how they should be held to a higher standard as student athletes. I think we owe it to these guys to help them to learn from this.

I can tell you this, if Mac handles this similar to Abbe, the coaching staff will vote on the punishment and Mac takes that into account but has the ultimate say even veto power.

I know some believe you have to cut them loose to set the right example to the team but frankly this is a minor enough an offense that I think you should try to rehabilitate if you can.

I agree. I wonder how many would feel differently if this was a beer snatch and run (again, something many on here probably did as a teenager or college student).

So the moral that you got out of this was for me not to express my disappointment directly to the source.

Yes, that is the moral you should take from this as well. When the "source" is an 18-21 year old college student-athlete sorting out a situation like this, you should not tweet them. It is that simple. I'd venture to guess that 80% or more on this board and in the general populace would agree with me.

• Upvote 5

The problem is that DRIVING DRUNK IS MUCH WORSE THAN STEALING TV'S FROM A WALMART. No one going to become a quadriplegic, or live the rest of their lives without their spouse, or have to come upon a wreck with body parts lying in the road because you walked out with a tv.

Those are all very real possible outcomes of drunk driving. In effect, UNT90's argument is "We can't understand what they did because we have done something much worse ourselves."

All valid points. Not arguing which is worse, just that people minimize the gravity and create justifications of and for something they have done themselves to feel better about themselves.

Harassing? I don't think so. So the moral that you got out of this was for me not to express my disappointment directly to the source. I thought it should be something along the lines of not stealing TV's.

For the record, I sent Sed one negative tweet then immediately followed it with another apologizing after I realized I may have jumped the gun a little. He responded and I reiterated my apology to him.

Far from harassment.

What you posted to Derek Akunne is far more damning, dude.

• Upvote 4

What you posted to Derek Akunne is far more damning, dude.

Yea, that wasn't a good look. Mr. 3rd Down has spoken, please listen"

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Out of respect for my teammates and the UNT football team I ask that you keep the negativity and opinions to yourself people make mistakes</p>&mdash; IG Carlosdharrisjr_ (@CarlosDHarrisJr) <a href="https://twitter.com/CarlosDHarrisJr/statuses/484421576205430784">July 2, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Upvote 2

I wonder what the role of the third guy was.

FUNNY. me too.

And who it was.

Or maybe I don't....

And you know..... Like what EXACTLY happened and why. Very disappointing to say the least. We've known Sed since his recruiting trip. :(

Side note: we really like him and his family. Glad he is owning it. Everyone screws up a time or 12.

Edited by SSP
  • Upvote 1

After reading some tweets, particularly Sed's I would like to have my previous post struck from the records. I believe he is sorry for what he did and while it was a big mistake, he is owning it and taking what punishment comes his way like a man. I can respect that. I don't like that they stole anything, but it is what it is and I hope that Sed, Chris, and team can learn from this and grow. I believe this will only make our guys more close as you could see the backlash that went out on twitter. PS if you don't think players read the board and or hear about it just refer yourself to akunne's tweet.

• Upvote 1

Far from harassment.

Isn't the moral of the story clearly just more Ben Gooding, less everyone else?

• Upvote 7

I can't believe anyone would compare rushing the field after a bowl victory with attempting to steal two tvs. Totally dumb, no matter how the offenses are classified.

Now Mac has spoke, and they have been suspended;so it is up to them if they come back or not. I am not sure what suspension means other than maybe they don't get the second semester of summer school paid for.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I demand to know if Ben Gooding comitted the terrible crime of criminal trespass at the Cotton Bowl in January.

If he did, I demand he turn himself in to the Dallas Police Department immediately!!!

Why are you such a horse's ass? I demand an explanation.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3