We trade 5 high level Taliban leaders for a guy that walked away from his duties, supposedly left a letter explaining his empathy for the Taliban, and reportedly actively sought out the Talibam to become their "prisoner."

Then we send out troops to find him, and some of them are killed by the enemy, including a fellow Texan.

And we trade 5 high level Taliban members for him?!?!

WTF was Pres. Obama thinking when he made this horrendous deal.

And why aren't people talking about the possibility of Bergdahl being programmed by the Taliban to do their terrorist work on American soil?

Bergdahl should face trial for desertion, maybe even for treason.

We will see neither because of a political agenda.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 4

We trade 5 high level Taliban leaders for a guy that walked away from his duties, supposedly left a letter explaining his empathy for the Taliban, and reportedly actively sought out the Talibam to become their "prisoner."

Then we send out troops to find him, and some of them are killed by the enemy, including a fellow Texan.

And why aren't people talking about the possibility of Bergdahl being programmed by the Taliban to do their terrorist work on American soil?

Wow. This took longer than I thought it would to show up here.

I think we shouldn't rush to prejudge this. We don't know how this is going to shake out yet, he may very well be "investigated" and taken to military trial.

As for making the deal, why not do it? The war in Afghanistan is winding down, we have been holding those captives for a very long time now, we have most likely got all the information out of them that we are going to get. We are not just going to hold those guys indefinitely, and we can't try them on U.S. soil. And I'm pretty sure several of our drones will be keeping a very close eye on these guys.

I don't think this is a great tragedy that some people are making it out to be, but I don't think it's some great victory like other people are making it out to be. We shall see.

Edited by mattmartin817
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

Wow. This took longer than I thought it would to show up here.

I think we shouldn't rush to prejudge this. We don't know how this is going to shake out yet, he may very well be "investigated" and taken to military trial.

As for making the deal, why not do it? The war in Afghanistan is winding down, we have been holding those captives for a very long time now, we have most likely got all the information out of them that we are going to get. We are not just going to hold those guys indefinitely, and we can't try them on U.S. soil. And I'm pretty sure several of our drones will be keeping a very close eye on these guys.

I don't think this is a great tragedy that some people are making it out to be, but I don't think it's some great victory like other people are making it out to be. We shall see.

The war is wondong down? You honestly tjink the 5 guys that were released believe that? Seriously?

When the enemy still is fighting, the war isn't over or "winding down."

And there is a good possibility we just released 5 leaders to further their cause while transporting a conditioned terrorist into the USA to do their dirty work.

Shocking how naive some people are on this forum.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

The war is wondong down? You honestly tjink the 5 guys that were released believe that? Seriously?

And there is a good possibility we just released 5 leaders to further their cause while transporting a conditioned terrorist into the USA to do their dirty work.

Typical. Just calling names.

And it's not being naive, it's called not being a knee jerk reactionary to anything and everything that happens.

And spare me the faux outrage on this. This is not that big of a deal. But please continue on with your tin-foil hat ideas about how this guys is a terrorist now.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 5

This is not that big of a deal. But please continue on with your tin-foil hat ideas about how this guys is a terrorist now.

I don't think he will be doing terrorists' dirty work in the U.S. But it seems highly likely that he did deliberately align himself with terrorists, and willingly aided Taliban forces in their attacks on U.S. troops. Eyewitness accounts say that Bergdahl walked into the village unarmed, looking for the Taliban.

• Upvote 1

Maybe the guys we released play for our team now???

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't think he will be doing terrorists' dirty work in the U.S. But it seems highly likely that he did deliberately align himself with terrorists, and willingly aided Taliban forces in their attacks on U.S. troops. Eyewitness accounts say that Bergdahl walked into the village unarmed, looking for the Taliban.

I'm not arguing that fact at all. Which is why I said, that perhaps he will be "investigated", and then sent to military trial. I think if all of these accounts are credible then he certainly should be punished.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This is crazy conjecture but truthfully, nobody (other than Bergdahl) knows how or why Bergdahl left his post. Nobody knows (other than him and the scum Taliban) what he went through as a prisoner in a scum bag camp, and certainly nobody knows what the 5 released scum bag Taliban will do once in Qatar (other than them..and they may not know now). So everthing said about this is political bull shit. Really.

What we KNOW is that a U.S. soldier went missing and showed up as a prisoner in a scum bag camp. We had the opportunity to trade some scum bags for a U.S. soldier and did. That's all we know.

Edited by EagleGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

This is crazy conjecture but truthfully, nobody (other than Bergdahl) knows how or why Bergdahl left his post. Nobody knows (other than him and the scum Taliban) what he went through as a U.S. POW, and certainly nobody knows what the 5 released scum bag Taliban will do once in Qatar (other than them..and they may not know now). So everthing said about this is political bull ****. Really.

What we KNOW is that a U.S. soldier went missing and showed up as a POW in a scum bag camp. We had the opportunity to trade some scum bags for a U.S. soldier and did. That's all we know.

Actually, there are other facts of which we can be more certain than the idea that he was ever truly a "POW."

• Upvote 2

Time: Taliban celebrate their victory for the return of their heroes, encouraged to kidnap more Anericans.

http://time.com/2826534/bowe-bergdahl-taliban-captors/

..."This is a historic moment for us. Today our enemy for the first time officially recognized our status "...

....."not likely to get in the way of future attempts to kidnap American soldiers, across all ranks.

Asked whether the Taliban would be inspired by the exchange to kidnap others, he laughed. Definitely, he says. Its better to kidnap one person like Bergdahl than kidnapping hundreds of useless people."...

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

If I read this correctly, you are giving at least 2 F*cks about statements from scum bag Taliban? I'll call this "hook-line-and sinker."

So then your fine if those 5 upstanding Taliban leaders leave Qatar and lead insurgents against American troops, leading to more troops being killed.

Got it thanks, Clinton/Obama looks forward to your vote in 2016

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

So then your fine if those 5 upstanding Taliban leaders leave Qatar and lead insurgents against American troops, leading to more troops being killed.

Got it thanks, Clinton/Obama looks forward to your vote in 2016

Yikes! This seems to have come out of left field and it seems to be a little crazy. Care to explain? Taking a stab at a retort, I'll say that Taliban are scum, not "upstanding", and nobody knows their next move (except maybe them). However, I hope those 5, along with all other scum Taliban, don't kill more people.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Trade one American deserter who "possibly" aided the enemy, for five high ranking Taliban terrorists. How dumb can this administration be? Further, those that think this war is winding down are sadly wrong.

Sorry Susan Rice but just because someone volunteers for Army duty, then turns deserter, possibly aiding the enemy in a war zone, does not make one a hero and patriot.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

I agree that this sends the wrong message to our enemies. POWs shouldn't be bargaining chips.

For the most part I approve of how our president has handled our Middle Eastern entanglements but this, in my opinion, was a serious mistake.

Trade one American deserter who "possibly" aided the enemy, for five high ranking Taliban terrorists. How dumb can this administration be? Further, those that think this war is winding down are sadly wrong.

Sorry Susan Rice but just because someone volunteers for Army duty, then turns deserter, possibly aiding the enemy in a war zone, does not make one a hero and patriot.

Do we know Sgt. Bergdahl is a deserter? No. Do we know he aided the enemy? No. Are Taliban considered "high-ranking" on any scale? No.

We also don't know if he's a good guy, but he did serve his country. If he left his post by choice, and we don't know that, we still have to determine if he did it as a planned event under sound mind (then he could be a deserter). If he was not of sound mind, then we have to find out why. If his mental issues are due to military activity, he's a wounded warrior. There are a lot of factors to figure out besides just ignorantly determining this guys status, intentions, and consequences without all facts. Thoughts?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

Typical. Just calling names.

And it's not being naive, it's called not being a knee jerk reactionary to anything and everything that happens.

And spare me the faux outrage on this. This is not that big of a deal. But please continue on with your tin-foil hat ideas about how this guys is a terrorist now.

Naivety is a character trait, not a name. Lol.

You again exhibit that trait by refusing to even consider the fact that this defector may have been conditioned by the Taliban, you know, that group that has vowed American destruction and will use any unconventional means to achieve that end.

What do you think the Taliban and Al Queda warriors were doing with Bo these past 6 years? Playing badminton and learning to love American culture?

I know you want this war to be over and put 9/11 behind as a distant memory. It's human nature, after all. Problem is the 5 people just released have the organizational skill, motivation, and connections to kill Americans, even without Bo's help. And we give them away to free a guy who deserted?

And there is nothing to see here?

Really?

Denial much?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Maybe the guys we released play for our team now???

Problem is, those guys didn't walk into a US army base in Afghanistan and surrender willingly. They are hell bent and motivated to destroy and kill anything related to the USA and will use any means to do it. If they could strap a bomb on a 4 year old and send her to the middle of Time Square, they would gladly push the detonator and blow her to bits if it meant only negative media coverage for the US government.

Those are the people you are dealing with. Open your freaking eyes.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Hiroo Onoda agrees.

Problem is, when there are 50k plus Hiroo Onoda's still occupying the Afgan mountains and still wanting to kill Americans, it's a little more serious than the typical left wing Internet joke.

You jokey jokester.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1