UT is not worried about North Texas, at all.

Ben Gooding

All of this.

Special teams has to have a big day for us. During the last 2 tail-whippings we've endured at UT, they completely crushed us with average starting field position, which made it easy for the game to get out of hand with a quickness. Three and out. Punt. Big return. Repeat.

I don't doubt we've played better UT teams -- in fact, I'd say this will be one of the weaker of the last four -- but their defense is still strong (not a pun) and we absolutely have as large a question mark at QB as they, if not more.

It seems like each of our respective strengths and weaknesses are the same.

We had the ball in their redzone in '06 if I remember correctly due to a fumbled punt recovered by Muzzy. After a few lost yards, we managed to miss a 30 or so yard field goal. Garbage. Mac is not quite as conservative as Double D was. At least we threw for a redzone TD at Georgia.

Edited by Cr1028

If Ash is their QB it gives them the best chance. I don't think they can line up and run at UNT all game long without a passing attack.

Ash is one concussion away from speech therapy. He shouldn't even be playing. Bad decision on his and his family's part.

He doesn't know their personnel. He may know one guy which I think is Diggs. Most of their guys came in after he left.

He also was there with Mykkele Thompson, Sheroid Evans, Leroy Scott, and Josh Turner. Thompson was a starter for all but one game and Turner started 3 games. Obviously Diggs is a starter also.

He also was there with Mykkele Thompson, Sheroid Evans, Leroy Scott, and Josh Turner. Thompson was a starter for all but one game and Turner started 3 games. Obviously Diggs is a starter also.

Yes he was there with those guys, but I don't feel like he will know much about them. He was there for one year of those guys and they were all true fr. I doubt he knows much about their tendencies and abilities. Also they are going to be taught new and different things by their new coaching staff. Id expect that most of those guys also have grown and developed just a bit.

Maybe if he was transferring in this year I would agree with you, but that was 2011 and we are about to enter into the 2014 season.

gundyainttrue.jpgIt really isn't true. Not to mention Georgia had the SEC's all-time leading passer. He was the difference maker for them in the second half. If we are tied with Texas this year, 21-21 in the third I like our chances a lot better since they don't have that kind of difference maker under center. Unless the refs take on that role. Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 2

Maybe he could have? I'm still on the fence about it.

When you're in a tight struggle, you need to keep your emotions on a leash and look for every possible sliver of an advantage. I'm not saying having a guy who knows their system makes a huge difference, but if it gives us a ray of light, I say we take it and ultimately leave Texas whistling a sad tune when the final whistle blows.

Edited by Quoner
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

When you're in a tight struggle, you need to keep your emotions on a leash and look for every possible sliver of an advantage. I'm not saying having a guy who knows their system makes a huge difference, but if it gives us a ray of light, I say we take it and ultimately leave Texas whistling a sad tune when the final whistle blows.

Whistling a sad tune?? More like frantically searching for their emergency cyanide pill vending machines. They keep these in vending machines in DKR. The glass on the vending machine reads:

Break in case of loss to 1AA teams or UNT**

**(please note - this is not a reflection on how "I" view UNT, merely an observation on how "THEY" probably view us at this point).

We return nearly our entirely OL. Humble brag: I think we could put Grandma behind our OL and be stable.

I also think the emergence of more capable weapons/options across the field will compensate for the loss of our superstar. How much? I don't know.

If DW starts Day 1, we have a mobile QB with the best arm of the crop, too.

My biggest concern? We could be underestimating DT's value as a leader.

I lol'ed at your biggest concern
  • Upvote 1

Almost TOO oblique, but still nicely done. LOL...

• Upvote 2

We had the ball in their redzone in '06 if I remember correctly due to a fumbled punt recovered by Muzzy. After a few lost yards, we managed to miss a 30 or so yard field goal. Garbage. Mac is not quite as conservative as Double D was. At least we threw for a redzone TD at Georgia.

Yeah, our efforts in Austin have been depressing-at-best for better than a decade. There's almost nothing worth remembering fondly about any of our "big" games over that time period, aside from the good times surrounding the actual game. Georgia. Alabama. LSU. Oklahoma. Texas. Arkansas... No thanks. And I was in attendance for many of them.

Sure, there were a couple exceptions where we played "better than expected", but I'd venture to guess most fan-bases don't consider +21-point losses remarkable in any way, shape, or form.

---

If people still can't figure out why we'd be the least of UT fan's worries after looking at their schedule -- or why we "can't get no respect" -- it's because we have a habit of not winning games like this, ever.

• Upvote 4

Well done

I'm a UT hater like many in here. The Horns returns most of their defense. They have as big a question mark as NT does at QB. NT lost many seniors, a leader at QB, and a game breaker in Chancellor. The game is in Austin and they will not be a sloppy Mac Briwn team, IMO. It's going to be an extreme uphill battle for NT to get a win. Very possible if the D can stop the run, make their young QB beat us, and our special teams makes some huge plays. All possible, but very difficult to do. Strong's team won't be giving up BYU like rushing numbers.

Depth is what separates the power schools from the have-nots. I truly expect our guys to play hard and put up a Georgia game like performance.

Edited by Got5onIt

As much as everyone will probably hate this analogy, i think it's most apt:

UT is the older brother of the family. Lately, he's lost a step. And, the house-hold wrestling with it's cousins of the same age hasn't been going as well as UT's dad would hope. In comes the little brother, UNT. He just hit a growth spurt and his been bullying everyone at the family reunion that's about his size (cousin Rice, cousin UTEP, etc). But he's looking for a big win here and wants to beat older brother, which never happens. The older brother, while not his former state-champion-wrestler self, isn't quite ready to relinquish the family mantle. He's so used to throwing his little brother around like a rag doll that he's really NOT that worried because losing to that punk kid, no matter how many others he takes down, just doesn't happen. The kid has a shot, but he would probably have to get the jump. Beating your older brother will always be the goal of any little brother, it's a constant chip on the shoulder. Is it impossible? No. But some people go their whole life without beating their older brother. However, we've have been hitting the gym...

• Upvote 1