UT is not worried about North Texas, at all.

Ben Gooding

I will say it is good to see the optimism from a lot of the new posters. Maybe MeanGreener is right and a lot of us are jaded. I can only hope the next generation of students never knows what it's like to watch a bad UNT team.

I'd just like to say, here's my sports futility here:

Texans, Astros, Browns, Indians, Stars, the Mean Green and a bandwagon Buckeye fan. Out of ALL of my teams, two have won "recent" championships. TWO. I don't remember the Stars winning a Championship as I was too young and I'm not much of a real Buckeye fan. The teams I die hard for, can't ever win the big game. (Texans, Astros, Stars (now) and the Mean Green (debatable to if the HoD is a "big game.")

Two, though, overall, in teams I moderately care for.

Yet, I've managed to remain hopeful and moderately positive. I have little interest in the negativity solely because people have had to deal with a few years of losing.

None of my teams ever win the big game. Neither do my Dad's or my Mom's. It's the Munthe curse.

My first game, vs Rice, I said "We'll lose by one point." We lose by one point.

It's not about accepting mediocrity, it's about sticking it out because when one of those teams do win, it'll be all the sweeter.

Screw the jaded atmosphere on here and the negativity. This team is on the rise, budget on the rise, a beautiful stadium, a young, hungry team, one of the best coaches in the G5 and probably one of the most respected in all of NCAA, and a burgeoning public school of 35K that is fast becoming one of the premiere schools in Texas. That giant everyone talks about? It's awake. It's the elephant in the room. Once we beat or come close to beating UT, Texas schools will start to sweat. They all laugh now and chuckle, call us irrelevant and laugh...it'll be all the sweeter.

I don't want to be UT. That's a corrupt NFL D-league that accepts mediocrity for cash. I just think that UNT can become a school that sells out 40K seats every game and goes to bowls.

Enjoy the freaking ride.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 1

I'd just like to say, here's my sports futility here:

Texans, Astros, Browns, Indians, Stars, the Mean Green and a bandwagon Buckeye fan. Out of ALL of my teams, two have won "recent" championships. TWO. I don't remember the Stars winning a Championship as I was too young and I'm not much of a real Buckeye fan. The teams I die hard for, can't ever win the big game. (Texans, Astros, Stars (now) and the Mean Green (debatable to if the HoD is a "big game.")

Two, though, overall, in teams I moderately care for.

Yet, I've managed to remain hopeful and moderately positive. I have little interest in the negativity solely because people have had to deal with a few years of losing.

None of my teams ever win the big game. Neither do my Dad's or my Mom's. It's the Munthe curse.

My first game, vs Rice, I said "We'll lose by one point." We lose by one point.

It's not about accepting mediocrity, it's about sticking it out because when one of those teams do win, it'll be all the sweeter.

Screw the jaded atmosphere on here and the negativity. This team is on the rise, budget on the rise, a beautiful stadium, a young, hungry team, one of the best coaches in the G5 and probably one of the most respected in all of NCAA, and a burgeoning public school of 35K that is fast becoming one of the premiere schools in Texas. That giant everyone talks about? It's awake. It's the elephant in the room. Once we beat or come close to beating UT, Texas schools will start to sweat. They all laugh now and chuckle, call us irrelevant and laugh...it'll be all the sweeter.

I don't want to be UT. That's a corrupt NFL D-league that accepts mediocrity for cash. I just think that UNT can become a school that sells out 40K seats every game and goes to bowls.

Enjoy the freaking ride.

Absolutely. I agree with everything you said 100%.

I don't want to be UT.

There is where the problem lies. Will we ever realistically become UT? The odds do not favor us but we need to strive to be them and any other the big boy athletic programs. These athletic programs do not just benefit sports but benefits the whole university from top to bottom and you gain life long die hard fans and alums with athletics success.

There is where the problem lies. Will we ever realistically become UT? The odds do not favor us but we need to strive to be them and any other the big boy athletic programs. These athletic programs do not just benefit sports but benefits the whole university from top to bottom and you gain life long die hard fans and alums with athletics success.

I don't want to be UT. I want to have the same kind of tradition, resources, coverage, respect, wins, and conference level they do. That said, I don't want to operate like they do and I don't want to be the conference bully they are.

Side note to this topic, remember it was discussed last year that apparently Dajon wanted to go to UT and they blew him off. If that's true, and he ends up being our starter...when you talk about a chip on the shoulder, having a really talented QB with a huge reason to beat somebody...just might be the edge. Guess we won't know until August, but it's notable enough to point out.

• Upvote 4

UT is one of the best academic institutions in the world and have lots of money. Anytime they need to raise funds for academics they're usually pretty covered. If you don't think athletics plays a role in that then I'm pretty surprised. Athletics success is VERY crucial to have.

Hold on, how many schools are on this best in the world list? They are a good school but let's not group them in with the ivy leagues just yet.

Hold on, how many schools are on this best in the world list? They are a good school but let's not group them in with the ivy leagues just yet.

There are publications where I've seen them among the top 50 or 100 best universities in the world. Most people do look at that and greatly value those lists and rankings. A lot of that comes from the sheer money they're able to generate and athletics is a big reason. Why? Well we know how athletics can instill school pride in you which leads to caring and more involvement in your school. Once you reach that level you'll be more inclined to want to give back so you'll donate money etc. Again this stuff is pretty obvious of why athletics is important and is the reason why we've been on a quest to improve our athletics reputation here at NT. School sports is a business. Let's not lose sight of that.

Using A&Ms nicknames for UT is more embarrassing than arguing with high school kids.

I remember one game in Jonesboro the Arkansas St student section was booing as the Mean Green walked down into the field... and throwing the horns down sign. Hey, it's Arkansas, family trees don't branch as often as they do in other states.

The players just gave each other confused looks until one of them (Andy Blount?) yelled "So? We hate them too," and threw the horns down back at them.

• Upvote 1

UT Law is usually listed in or near the Top 10 in the Princeton Review, and the school as a whole is usually around the Top 25. Also included in the Top 25 are usually the 9 Ivies, Stanford, Rice, Vanderbilt, MIT, Northwestern, etc. So whether or not we group them in with the Ivy Leagues is irrelevant, because the primary ranking publication already has put their law school in with them and the general University ranking is pretty close (and I think they often outpace Colgate and Dartmouth if I'm remembering correctly).

As much as everyone will probably hate this analogy, i think it's most apt:

UT is the older brother of the family. Lately, he's lost a step. And, the house-hold wrestling with it's cousins of the same age hasn't been going as well as UT's dad would hope. In comes the little brother, UNT. He just hit a growth spurt and his been bullying everyone at the family reunion that's about his size (cousin Rice, cousin UTEP, etc). But he's looking for a big win here and wants to beat older brother, which never happens. The older brother, while not his former state-champion-wrestler self, isn't quite ready to relinquish the family mantle. He's so used to throwing his little brother around like a rag doll that he's really NOT that worried because losing to that punk kid, no matter how many others he takes down, just doesn't happen. The kid has a shot, but he would probably have to get the jump. Beating your older brother will always be the goal of any little brother, it's a constant chip on the shoulder. Is it impossible? No. But some people go their whole life without beating their older brother. However, we've have been hitting the gym...

Did you bully cousin UTSA, too ?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7

^Exhibit A

If a school's academics defecate all over UNT's academics: "It all depends on the person holding the degree."

If a school's academics are more comparable to UNT's: "They're a JUCO/high school."

??

I was just talking about you. High school degree and you are not even smart enough to root for UT like 95% of the rest of San Antonio.

But keep on stalking, broseph.

??

I was just talking about you. High school degree and you are not even smart enough to root for UT like 95% of the rest of San Antonio.

But keep on stalking, broseph.

A UNT fan talking about a lack of fan support. If that dont beat all. :lolu:

And its not stalking if you can't keep yourself from responding!

Edited by correcamino
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1