UT is not worried about North Texas, at all.

Ben Gooding

Blast me? I just don't understand this fan base. I am a raised Florida Gator, but North Texas by choice. I have easily been to 12-15 Florida football games. My entire family are Florida fans. Both of my parents graduated from Florida, as well as my oldest brother. I too am a Florida fan, but I am also a die hard North Texas fan. At Florida literally no fans would talk the jibber jabber coming out of some of your mouths. I understand that these 2 universities and football programs are apples and oranges, but there is little to no pride or real fanatic fans here at North Texas. A real fanatic would not simply sit there and say meh, hopefully we keep it under 24. Or 40!!! Most of us are fanatics or we wouldn't follow this board so closely. Raise your expectations, increase your standards. I know the last 10 years have been pitiful, but every program has been rock bottom and all the great ones have rose to the top and earned a P5 invitation and can now compete nationally. I mean wtf, if you aren't all in then gtf off this board. Not to be disrespectful, but step up to the plate. GMG

It's called intelligent football conversation. I'll remember not to try and engage you with it anymore and only go all rah-rah when responding to your posts.

I'd feel better about the game if Mac Brown was still roaming the sidelines. He isn't. Even if he was, we would still be a 20 plus point dog.

I'd also like our chances much better if last year's team was playing this year's UT. Infortunately, that isn't the case.

• Upvote 3

It's called intelligent football conversation. I'll remember not to try and engage you with it anymore and only go all rah-rah when responding to your posts.

I'd feel better about the game if Mac Brown was still roaming the sidelines. He isn't. Even if he was, we would still be a 20 plus point dog.

I'd also like our chances much better if last year's team was playing this year's UT. Infortunately, that isn't the case.

My intent was not to rah-rah. My intent was to call out the faithless uncaring non-attending North Texas fans. If you took offense then that's on you. In other news I'm watching Tony Romo being interviewed after the Duke v NC game looking like a 45 year old pot bellied father of 3.
  • Downvote 2

I'm not worried about UT. I more worried about the holes we have to plug than whether or not UT is concerned with UNT.

Their coach will have them well prepared for UNT. I look at Coach Strong being essentially like Coach Mac.

The developed talent is pretty even. They have more undeveloped talent than we do. More of a chance to get better.

If Ash is their QB it gives them the best chance. I don't think they can line up and run at UNT all game long without a passing attack.

Two coaches with the same philosophies on and off the field. Two teams that will be well prepared. The difference to me will come down to the trenches. Right now they are a little better than we are in those areas.

I'm excited about the game, but I feel like I need to see more of UNT and UT this spring. At least before i get a sense how good each team is.

Well, here's what I know:

John Williams, proprietor of Oak Street Drafthouse and East Side Social Club and all-around Mean Green fan, just opened his newest venture in Austin in the form of Silo on 7th. We've already confirmed that Silo will be a UNT hot spot that weekend, so Victory's in store whatever the Score...

• Upvote 3

I agree completely. No bs aside, you never know what can happen in a ball game. Strong can preach until he's blue in the face about beating us, however, if our guys decide they aren't demigods, the sky is the limit.

The only reason I disagree with this? Because this will be the first UNT coach and team in a LONG time going in to Austin actually trying to win. We knew what would happen before and still watched, hoping not to lose too badly. Will we win? Maybe. But there's a much better chance of that with Mac taking a team in there actually shooting for it.

I said a couple months ago I wished we'd played UT this last year but you know what? If the guys moving into starting positions are as ready as the ones last year were, we'll be at least as good this year as we were last year. Either way I expect it to actually be a real football game in Austin for the first time since I (and most of us) first hit Denton. Most of us weren't around for 1988.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The only reason I disagree with this? Because this will be the first UNT coach and team in a LONG time going in to Austin actually trying to win. We knew what would happen before and still watched, hoping not to lose too badly. Will we win? Maybe. But there's a much better chance of that with Mac taking a team in there actually shooting for it.

I said a couple months ago I wished we'd played UT this last year but you know what? If the guys moving into starting positions are as ready as the ones last year were, we'll be at least as good this year as we were last year. Either way I expect it to actually be a real football game in Austin for the first time since I (and most of us) first hit Denton. Most of us weren't around for 1988.

Well said! Someone gets it.....and to a certain extent gets me................ B)

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1

A couple of final thoughts:

Silver would take that mantra coaching a PeeWee squad against the Seattle Seahawks. They probably wouldn't win, but maybe he'd still find some darn good pageantry.

The odds are, I am not going to win the lottery. But every time I buy a Texas Two Step ticket, gosh darn it I expect to win.

This thread turned stupid.

Well they would certainly arrive with great fanfare. And (with a tip of a hat to CSN&Y) we would never stop letting our FREAK FLAG FLY!

• Upvote 2

Well, here's what I know:

John Williams, proprietor of Oak Street Drafthouse and East Side Social Club and all-around Mean Green fan, just opened his newest venture in Austin in the form of Silo on 7th. We've already confirmed that Silo will be a UNT hot spot that weekend, so Victory's in store whatever the Score...

Bumping myself because friendly alcohol.

• Upvote 1

strong's defense as well as bedford's defensive scheme is similar to ours. it is simple and they want to play fast. the horns have a lot of talent coming back on D especially in the back field so lets hope our experienced OL can help us out because i seriously doubt that the WRS will do too much for us other than the slot.

Darius Terrell knows their personnel in the secondary and will use that to his advantage.

Edited by Cr1028

We played our asses off at Georgia for 2 1/2 quarters, but their depth got to us in the end. And that was a FAR more experienced UNT team than will take the field against UT. UT gets whatever athletes they want. They will have better athletes than Georgia had last year.

gundyainttrue.jpg

Edited by Cr1028

This thread is so awesome on so many levels.

First, why does what UT fans think have any impact on how this will turn out? Does their thinking about the result in advance of the game determine the preparation of the team our guys are playing against? Why do or should we care?

Second, for those saying that we, as a fan base, should start to expect wins in these types of games and are getting their panties in a wad over some of the reaction: what are you doing? So many were laughing at UTSA fans and their statements prior to the OSU game last year. Everyone outside of the program expected them to lose, and true to form, they did. Was it shocking? No. Why? Because that is how college football is built. The teams that have history on their side tend to win. We could have an upset in this game. But to call others bad fans for looking at our history as a program and thinking that we don't have much of a shot is just dumb. There is not much here to suggest that we are going to win this game. I wish that weren't true, but it is reality. Also, let's try to get some perspective on this discussion. WHAT WE THINK AS FANS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE OUTCOME OF THIS GAME. The team will be no less prepared because some think the we will lose the game. See point 1. Listen to what the coaches and players say prior to the game. They will tell you through their words and actions how they are preparing for the game. I think that our coaches will have our guys ready to play. Not sure what that means to the final outcome.

Either way, we have no idea what kind of team we will really have next year and we won't have any real idea until after this game has been played.

• Upvote 1