Rick v do the right thing

The BIGGEST thing that pisses me off is that after JJ left. RV said he learned from football and would hire someone with Head Coaching experience.....then turns around and hires a 20 year career assistant, and what has it done? FAILED.

Edited by bstnsportsfan3
  • Upvote 1

The BIGGEST thing that pisses me off is that after JJ left. RV said he learned from football and would hire someone with Head Coaching experience.....then turns around and hires a 20 year career assistant, and what has it done? FAILED.

I want a 20 year career assistant for our NEXT coach. Other than a brief stint as an interim, Johnny was a 17 year career assistant.

It's the guy that sucks, not his resume. Not all first time coaches are automatically Benford.

I want a 20 year career assistant for our NEXT coach. Other than a brief stint as an interim, Johnny was a 17 year career assistant.

It's the guy that sucks, not his resume. Not all first time coaches are automatically Benford.

I wasn't talking about your post by the way. I agree with you. Just annoyed RV did the opposite of what he said and it has almost killed the program Edited by bstnsportsfan3

OK - - as of yesterday my sources in Denton indicate that Benford is not going anywhere next year. With the addition of Combs, Wesley, Ward etc they feel pretty good about where things will be next year and are expecting significant improvement.

Uh, you assume that they'll actually show up and play and stick around long enough to do anything. You have to remember what a stellar job Benford has done so far on retaining players. Even the ones he brought in.

• Upvote 2

OK - - as of yesterday my sources in Denton indicate that Benford is not going anywhere next year. With the addition of Combs, Wesley, Ward etc they feel pretty good about where things will be next year and are expecting significant improvement.

Same crew that apparently thought Dodge and a third year would work. Oh well, no tickets for us for at least one more year.

• Upvote 1

At this point one more year cannot hurt. He is bringing in some decent guys and has a lot of retuning seniors who he has grown on. This year is not great but an improvement in his ability to coach is evident. The record could be better but it's not indicative of where Benford has improved. Subbing patterns are still odd, but other then that his court management has improved. Defense has improved. Our main issue is offense. We do have one and it's a mix of a few things it seems. We just lack the ability to make shots. Guys like Tristan Thomsoin and Calvin Watson could score from anywhere. 6 feet behind the arc, driving in the lane, double teamed..you name it and they could score from there. Sure the ball movement is a bit odd, but at some point someone needs to create their own shot or shoot it off the catch. We catch it to much with our back to the basket instead of setting up the other way.

Your posts are like watching two one year olds play together. A lot of random words are spoken...but no coherent thoughts.

• Upvote 5

At this point one more year cannot hurt. He is bringing in some decent guys and has a lot of retuning seniors who he has grown on. This year is not great but an improvement in his ability to coach is evident. The record could be better but it's not indicative of where Benford has improved. Subbing patterns are still odd, but other then that his court management has improved. Defense has improved. Our main issue is offense. We do have one and it's a mix of a few things it seems. We just lack the ability to make shots. Guys like Tristan Thomsoin and Calvin Watson could score from anywhere. 6 feet behind the arc, driving in the lane, double teamed..you name it and they could score from there. Sure the ball movement is a bit odd, but at some point someone needs to create their own shot or shoot it off the catch. We catch it to much with our back to the basket instead of setting up the other way.

I'll try and keep this short. But keeping him one more year can hurt, and completely set the program back. He isn't recruiting well. He's recruiting terribly.

He isn't out recruiting anyone on the trail. Have you been paying no attention to what NT03 has been posting? He struck out on all the point guards he wanted, the posts he has brought in have all been late signees and they were among the least productive groups of posts in CUSA. He got Greg Wesley because of the Tony-Mitchell pitch, which in no way had anything to do with Benford. He's a promising player, but he isn't a go-to guy who we can run our offense through. Combs is solid, but he's a 6'6" post. Our other two signees had no other offers.

Offense will be a major issue in years to come. Our top three scorers were JJ guys, and one of them leaves after the CUSA tournament. The other two (Jordan and CJ) will be gone after next year. Benford is getting his butt kicked trying to get high school guards (and really any high school players). I just don't see what is going to change. Oops. I was supposed to keep it short.

• Upvote 2

Combs, Wesley, and ward are expected to be better than tony Mitchell, JWill, and Jones?!

End the thread. Seriously. Shut. It. Down.

Just out of curiosity, does Benford have a son? Maybe one who's 6'4" and has lots of high major offers to play PG but he wants to play center and only his daddy will give him that chance? Maybe we coulld sign him, watch him get battered in the post for three years, and then start threads about every place he goes to school and/or gets a job because he was so darn brave.

It would just have a certain symmetry to it.

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

Since we're likely going to wait until after next year or later to fire Benford, I wouldn't mind getting an assistant like your boy Lutz. At that point it will already be a rebuilding process. Going through the new-head-coach growing pains in a rebuilding situation is not nearly as risky as bringing in a new head coach to run a preseason number 1 team in conference IMO.

Like you said, Benford just isn't a good coach. He wasn't the right hire, and we sure as hell didn't pick the right time to let him go through his trial-and-error (after error, after error) phase.

Just out of curiosity, does Benford have a son? Maybe one who's 6'4" and has lots of high major offers to play PG but he wants to play center and only his daddy will give him that chance? Maybe we coulld sign him, watch him get battered in the post for three years, and then start threads about every place he goes to school and/or gets a job because he was so darn brave.

It would just have a certain symmetry to it.

He does, but he's only 6'0 and he did play guard in high school. Oh wait, was that a hypothetical? http://www.ny2lasports.com/player_details.aspx?playerid=2732