Pedestrian Bridge - PAINT THE RUST GREEN!

Please oh PLEASE can someone recommend what we can do to get the rusty looking part of the pedestrian bridge painted. Each and every day, thousands of people drive under this bridge. Like Apogee, it is a very public, and visual representation of our University and the rust "color" makes it look unfinished and just sort of lacking something.

I know that it is cheaper because paint needs to be maintained. But this is OUR school we are talking about here, and there is a certain level of pride involved. Every time I drive under that thing the same thoughts run through my head.... "The rust part should be painted GREEN" and at night I think... "That bridge would be so awesome if it had some GREEN LED's on it"

Come on folks... Let's make this happen for next football season. This goes along with the rest of our success and improved image!

What are your thoughts??

GO MEAN GREEN!!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Please oh PLEASE can someone recommend what we can do to get the rusty looking part of the pedestrian bridge painted. Each and every day, thousands of people drive under this bridge. Like Apogee, it is a very public, and visual representation of our University and the rust "color" makes it look unfinished and just sort of lacking something.

I know that it is cheaper because paint needs to be maintained. But this is OUR school we are talking about here, and there is a certain level of pride involved. Every time I drive under that thing the same thoughts run through my head.... "The rust part should be painted GREEN" and at night I think... "That bridge would be so awesome if it had some GREEN LED's on it"

Come on folks... Let's make this happen for next football season. This goes along with the rest of our success and improved image!

What are your thoughts??

GO MEAN GREEN!!

TXDOT owns the bridge. We can't shine it green and the "rust" is just the color of the exposed metal they put on there...ironically, a rust resistant metal.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Thanks Harry... I hope that young man has a bright future at UNT! He was so gracious to both my son and I. And to think he is only a freshman and he was so selfless was pretty amazing and speaks volumes to his character. This also speaks to the kind of young men that Coach continues to bring into the program. :)

I thought as much about the bridge... bummer. It could look soooo much nicer!

• Upvote 1

Thanks Harry... I hope that young man has a bright future at UNT! He was so gracious to both my son and I. And to think he is only a freshman and he was so selfless was pretty amazing and speaks volumes to his character. This also speaks to the kind of young men that Coach continues to bring into the program. :)

I thought as much about the bridge... bummer. It could look soooo much nicer!

There was a thread talking about stuff similar to your light idea. Check it out:

• Upvote 1

It is entirely possible to shine our logo on the bridge with lasers. Cost? Don't have a clue. I just know it that it is possible and highly effective.

http://www.stonemountainpark.com/activities/shows-entertainment/Lasershow.aspx

Of course TXDOT would resist any signage conflicting with safety, etc. But, does anyone doubt that a similar bridge/situation in Austin would be completed in any color other than...you know.

It is entirely possible to shine our logo on the bridge with lasers. Cost? Don't have a clue. I just know it that it is possible and highly effective.

http://www.stonemountainpark.com/activities/shows-entertainment/Lasershow.aspx

Of course TXDOT would resist any signage conflicting with safety, etc. But, does anyone doubt that a similar bridge/situation in Austin would be completed in any color other than...you know.

Sharks-With-Frickin-Laser-Beams-Attached

• Upvote 4

The "rust" is actually what protects the steel from corrosion. Check all the new overpasses around DFW. All of the steel parts are just like that. Worst thing in the world is to paint it.

Most folks who drive under the bridge probably assume the connection with our appreciation of former coach Rod Rust.

• Upvote 3

Green would look fantastic. It's true - you do see certian areas along interstates where the overpasses are painted certain colors, but it's usually the concrete that's painted, not the steel. I understand their long-term need for the anti-corrosion steel, but green would look great.

That IS a great pic (avatar)!

I completely understand the environmentally green building of the bridge and all the environmentally green things that UNT is renowned for. I am very proud of everything our school is doing in that area. I also understand that the GENERAL PUBLIC has NO IDEA that the steel on the bridge is anything but rusty metal. I am just thinking of how we can improve the image to those people and promote our Universities image to them and perhaps to future students.

Definitely add some green lights... they could be solar powered. Perhaps if it can't be painted... maybe a green stripe on the main horizontal beams as an accent? This could even be done with a "wrap/decal" material rather than paint (if it would stick)?

I also think that the "wing" in Apogee would be stunning at night with some green up lighting.

Thanks for the comments about my avatar... My son is still glowing! I have some other pictures... I'll post them in the Media Library. :)

• Upvote 2

Then light that bad boy up! What's the wait?

The same thing it is every time. Money.

And aesthetics, which is dictated by the Capital Projects Council, a group of Administrators, typically at the VP and System level, who dictate the timelines, look, feel and priority of infrastructure projects on campus.

Remember how the Pedestrian Bridge was delayed in its opening? By a few months or so? That was because the CPC could not decide upon the appropriate aesthetics of the walk-way leading to the bridge. Their final decision resulted in the oddly angled striped painting in the parking lot leading to posts at the beginning of the ramp. Think the big squares with the SOW painted into them. The forestalling intent was to reshape the landscaping and make one concise path from the Gateway to the bridge, but that push came too late in the implementation.

Edited by Christopher Walker
  • Upvote 1

And aesthetics, which is dictated by the Capital Projects Council, a group of Administrators, typically at the VP and System level, who dictate the timelines, look, feel and priority of infrastructure projects on campus.

Remember how the Pedestrian Bridge was delayed in its opening? By a few months or so? That was because the CPC could not decide upon the appropriate aesthetics of the walk-way leading to the bridge. Their final decision resulted in the oddly angled striped painting in the parking lot leading to posts at the beginning of the ramp. Think the big squares with the SOW painted into them. The forestalling intent was to reshape the landscaping and make one concise path from the Gateway to the bridge, but that push came too late in the implementation.

And if anyone would like some validity with my claim.

CPC Minutes, March 2012