DMN's Tim Cowlishaw on UNT: "Hey, they had a nice year.."

Harry

Question: What's your thought on the Mean Green season? Is their future looking up with Dan McCarney and Conference USA?

Tim Cowlishaw: Hey, they had a nice year and they're favored to beat UNLV here in the bowl game. I'm guessing they will have some excitement in that new stadium for the next few years.

Read more: http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/texas-longhorns/20131219-cowlishaw-i-don-t-see-how-jon-gruden-would-be-a-good-fit-at-texas.ece

1 year, folks. You can't expect to undo years and years of apathy by the UNT administration, terrible football performances, and being the butt of Texas Collegiate football jokes in one 8-4, non-conference championship year.

We have a golden opportunity the first game next year to make a statement. We will be playing a UT team with a new coach implementing a new system. UT will have no film on our QB in our system. None.

Wanna change perception? Win that game. Or at least keep it within 10.

• Upvote 1

Honest question: why would he?

We're playing a bowl game for the first time in 9 years in the backyard of our largest alumni base -- by a mile -- and we're worried about selling 16k tickets.

So again, if our fans don't care, why would anyone else?

It's one thing when we are talking about apathetic alumni. Is not entirely different when you talk about a sports columnist for the areas biggest news paper?

I'm not asking him to care personally, but hey! Maybe a wee bit (fake?) excitement can be thrown in the direction of the school that might account for the largest percentage of your readership.

It's one thing when we are talking about apathetic alumni. Is not entirely different when you talk about a sports columnist for the areas biggest news paper?

I'm not asking him to care personally, but hey! Maybe a wee bit (fake?) excitement can be thrown in the direction of the school that might account for the largest percentage of your readership.

I'd love to see some enthusiasm for the local team as well, so I'm not arguing that! And I think it's one thing the Houston Chronicle does really well: They celebrate the hell out of any Rice/UH/Sam Houston State success. (It's also about the only thing the Chronicle does that's worth a damn, but that's another conversation entirely.)

I'm just saying, in two years, we've still not sold out a brand new 30k-seat stadium at a school with an enrollment near 35k and 100k+ alumni in a 30-mile radius. Compared to the Big XII and even other C-USA opponents... that's laughable.

That is bogus. I as a fan learn about the programs in that city I live. I am not a sportswriter but can name their league foes, players, results. I become a season ticket holder and t shirt wearing fan. This tool works in the city with 100k Alumni couldn't name who is in our league doesn't care about the interesting journey UNT and unlv have taken to a New Year's Day bowl game. There is fascination in that story yet he chooses not to see it. His choice. I shouldn't be more informed than him in his role and if I was in charge I would fire him for lack of energy and commitment to creating interest. He has 3 local programs to dig up interesting stories on. You don't you don't survive in my organization. I fire you and hire young or seasoned investigative reporters who lift up readers with new fresh stories. I don't care if you are type a b c or d person you will thrive in my organization by bringing it everyday. Cowlishaw need not apply and he certainly wouldn't survive. GMG

It took basketball about seven years to garner attention. Which, of course, had since collapsed, but I digress. It's unrealistic to expect local Big XII fanboys to care about a single bowl season. We'll need several consecutive winning seasons.

And don't think last year's basketball collapse hasn't caused media types to yet again be wary of a one year wonder.

We need to build on this year. For decades we have reached a high point every ten years or so before sliding back to irrelevancy. We need to keep the momentum and WE are the ones who must lead the way. See you at Cotton Bowl.

1 year, folks. You can't expect to undo years and years of apathy by the UNT administration, terrible football performances, and being the butt of Texas Collegiate football jokes in one 8-4, non-conference championship year.

We have a golden opportunity the first game next year to make a statement. We will be playing a UT team with a new coach implementing a new system. UT will have no film on our QB in our system. None.

Wanna change perception? Win that game. Or at least keep it within 10.

"...keep it within 10..." No.

Wash your mouth out.

Keep it within 10?!?!!! No, beat them. No excuses. We cannot continue to take a backseat or in recent years be stuffed in the trunk. We need to increase our expectations and "keep it within 10" is doing nothing except settling for mediocracy or worse. East Texas is so fertile in terms of recruiting and our facilities are very good, campus is growing, atmosphere is improving. UNTexas has to bottle up this momentum and run with it. Start to turn heads and some of the legitimate DFW talent will start paying attention. A lot of them want to stay home it's our job to make sure some of then do. Great opportunity in the HOD bowl. Go Mean Green!!! Oh by the way, y'all better pack your family, friends, kids, church members, pets, and neighbors in your cars and bring them with y'all to the Cotton Bowl!