UNT in extension talks with McCarney, bowl info

Harry

UNT athletic director Rick Villarreal said Wednesday that the school is in talks with head coach Dan McCarney on a contract extension.

"I hope it is something that we can bring to fruition much sooner than later", Villarreal said.

McCarney signed a five-year contract on Dec. 8, 2010, after taking over the program and has led UNT to its best season since 2004. UNT is 8-4 and is expected to receive a bowl invitation late this week. UNT has not played in a bowl game since 2004.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/12/villlarreal-unt-in-extension-talks-with-mccarney-bowl-info.html/

"Inouchi said that Hawaii Bowl officials believe that Rice and UNT will end up playing in the Heart of Dallas and Hawaii bowls, with the teams’ destinations depending largely on the outcome of this weekend’s Conference USA title game between Marshall and Rice."

Uh oh. If that makes a difference, that means we need Rice to win.

"Inouchi said that Hawaii Bowl officials believe that Rice and UNT will end up playing in the Heart of Dallas and Hawaii bowls, with the teams’ destinations depending largely on the outcome of this weekend’s Conference USA title game between Marshall and Rice."

Uh oh. If that makes a difference, that means we need Rice to win.

That could just as easily mean that Rice plays in Hawaii, even if they lose.

That could just as easily mean that Rice plays in Hawaii, even if they lose.

If that were the case, then the outcome of conf championship wouldn't impact the us or HOD. If it meant that, there would be no scenario where we wouldn't go to HOD. Rice wins goes to Liberty, Rice loses goes to Hawaii.

BTW - not trying to be argumentative, just if I read it as is, it either doesn't make sense or isn't good for us if actually true.

Edited by meangreanmick
  • Upvote 4

I think an extension will only help because it will show recruits that there is a long term plan in place. Also, do you really see Mac digressing? I don't. He has taken a team that was honestly the worst football program in D1 and has turned them in to a tough, disciplined team who is 8-4. If he can do that, I really don't see him slipping up.

• Upvote 1

Does giving McCarney an extension limit the funds we'll have available to buy out Benford? Someone on here mentioned a few weeks back that the money was there to buy him out, if necessary. Where is it coming from that it won't impact us locking up McCarney and more importantly, his top assistants?

If we don't have the money to do both, we shouldn't be involved in NCAA athletics at the highest level.

Come on, guys.

• Upvote 5

Here's the deal though, guys that are against an extension: One 8-win season and a bowl appearance (hopefully a bowl win, to boot!) is enough to get the attention of the poachers out there.

We know there will be firings and we know that will trigger a coaching carousel. I can guarantee you a school that is above us in the pecking order will be eyeing what Coach Mac has done here and will entertain the thought of pulling him away.

A competitive and fair contract extension would help deter him from entertaining some of those thoughts, himself.

Not to mention, it shows recruits that we're committed to Coac Mac.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Here's the deal though, guys that are against an extension: One 8-win season and a bowl appearance (hopefully a bowl win, to boot!) is enough to get the attention of the poachers out there.

We know there will be firings and we know that will trigger a coaching carousel. I can guarantee you a school that is above us in the pecking order will be eyeing what Coach Mac has done here and will entertain the thought of pulling him away.

A competitive and fair contract extension would help deter him from entertaining some of those thoughts, himself.

/thread.

Keeping Mac at 5 years shows the world that UNT is attaining big boy program status and shows commitment to staff, donors, and potential recruits, as well as a commitment to Mac.

Edited by LongJim
  • Upvote 3

Wonder if he'd agree to a significant buy-out clause if he got a total of 6 years with his contract (instead of 5) ?

Coach DMac ain't going to go lateral with a job and has already been a Big 12 HFC for almost a decade. Each of the Big 12 schools get around $20 million per annual TV revenue plus ga-jillions from their booster club monies. Buyout would not be a problem with most P5 schools.

Just something to discuss...not sure if UNT would do this.

Strongly disagree I don't think an extension accomplishes anything but tying NT hands. I always wonder why a person with a contract for two more years, is going to be held by a longer contract. He will honor a longer term but not his current contract?

You can bet the house, if Mac get an offer he likes his current contract will be of little consequence.

My opinion really has nothing to with McCarney, he is just a beneficiary of the current system of one sided contracts between HC's and their employers. I don't think McCarney will bolt unless he get a big time offer and the status of his current NT contract will be at best a small factor in his decision.

I wonder if there is an overlap between those that want to fire Benford with over three year on his contract and those that want to sign McCarney to a longer term. Sometimes I wonder if all understand that salary dollars at NT come at the expense of other facets of the athletic program. There are not a bunch of alumni covering that cost.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1