Greatest halftime band performance

Dr. Seuss

They don't sound near as good as the Green Brigade,

And there's the apple compared to the orange right there. MGB doesn't seem to put much priority on the marching formations beyond the cursory pre-game UNT. MGB is all about the music, and the music is amazing. Trying to rank OSU vs MGB is like trying to compare a Honda Civic to a fishing pole.

• Upvote 2

This is what we've been talking about! We used to do shows like this and each week was different as well. If we had back to back home games, then there was still a new show.

This drum corps marching style that we do is awful. What would you prefer, a show like Ohio State's or this performance from a Texas high school?

Oops

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

This is what we've been talking about! We used to do shows like this and each week was different as well. If we had back to back home games, then there was still a new show.

This drum corps marching style that we do is awful. What would you prefer, a show like Ohio State's or this performance from a Texas high school?

Oops

I'll take the MGB over anyone else any day of the week. Fancy formations are nice, but the MGB does some pretty tight marching with grade A music. All the fancy formations won't beat that.

What you don't understand is that the GB of my youth (60's), and LGAC's tenure (early 70's) used to do both. I've told this story before, but one of the GB's (they didn't call themselves that at the time....just the NTSU Band) half-time shows that I remember the most was "North Texas around the world". They took the North Texas fight song and went around the world with it. They had a "European Classical music" version, a "Spanish" version, and a "Asian" version of the fight song. With every version they made different formations with the "support" players running on and off with field with the appropriate props and additional instruments. They finished up with a rousing Texas version. I haven't used the word "rousing" to describe how the GB plays the fight song in a long time.

They also used to enter the field with a fanfare and playing a very uptempo version of the fight song. I can only imagine what sort of high energy entrance the GB of my youth and LGAC's tenure would make in Apogee. Maybe some of you out there like the "wander-out-on-the-field-and-find-your-spot-then-come-to-attention-and-play" pre-game show of our current GB, but I find it an absolute embarrassment.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Doesn't this belong in the Band Forum?

There is no "band forum" just a generic NT forum.

Besides, a thread about halftime shows is very relevant to a football forum. But even more relevant is the promotion of school spirit......which is supposed to be Job 1 for the GB. Don't read it if you're not interested.

Edited by SilverEagle

UNT does marching formations... Just no one can see them but the club level seats. Last performance they made a Guitar, drum set, and trumpet that played.

....this is the case for all marching formations beyond military style. Only folks at Ohio State who were above a 15º or so angle to the field would really understand what was going on other than the announcing and tunes themselves.

• Upvote 1

When they play "Fly like an Eagle" I fly to the restroom and snack bar. No one denies that our band is musically sound, its just that they don't seem to realize they are at a football game and don't seem to understand what they are supposed to DO at a football game. The crowd is just not into you Green Brigade. You are wonderful musicians, but you bore us to sobs.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Exactly how I feel about the band when they're in the stands. They have a couple things they do to prompt chants, and they'll play some stuff that I thought was played out when I was in HS (Hey Song, Hey Baby, etc), and then they'll randomly start playing some music that they want to play but no one has a clue what it is. I don't think they're bad in the stands, but they could use a better selection of recognizable music.

• Upvote 2

When they play "Fly like an Eagle" I fly to the restroom and snack bar. No one denies that our band is musically sound, its just that they don't seem to realize they are at a football game and don't seem to understand what they are supposed to DO at a football game. The crowd is just not into you Green Brigade. You are wonderful musicians, but you bore us to sobs.

This has got ot be the most asinine post I've seen today and there have been a lot of them.

What's funny is that I know from the student side and the WingZone crowd, that they're appreciated mighty heartily. So you can get over yourself.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The Rice halftime performance was pretty awesome. Just sayin'.

I agree...I did enjoy the Rice game halftime. Thought the music selection was great along with those costumes. Well done Green Brigade!