Official USMNT Rio 2014 Thread

So we beat Ghana, face a staggering Portugal, and look to have a very good chance of getting out of group and there are no posts.

What a bunch of goons.

How about El Tri again? Their GK was using some sort of cheat code. Almost assured of going on. Also thought Silva needed a red card for almost de-legging Chicharito. Also the Brazilians are still the kings of cheap diving.

Chapulin Army Represent!

ptGs2uc.jpeg

Glad we got the win, but I didn't think we looked like a good team. Resilient, sure. But I am not confident about anything with Germany and Portugal left.

We looked scrappy, not organized, on D and we looked lost on offense. Possession, specifically passing, needs to be better.

Edited by greenminer

Glad we got the win, but I didn't think we looked like a good team.

Truthfully that was my initial reaction, but the more I thought of it the more it seemed two things kneecapped us. One, we scored so early that we really had no plan on how to handle the situation. Two, that confusion was compounded when Jozy went down.

Now normally I would think us losing Jozy would mean we are boned. But Portugal is going to be missing it's star player, and they are already getting shredded by their own media. They are going to come out with their hair on fire, but if we hold them off for 20-30 minutes they will start to feel the pressure. If we are even with them then, I really think we get at least a draw.

Now Germany is going to murder us, but they are going to murder everyone in this group. Great, all we have to do is draw Portugal and not lose to Germany by more than three goals. At that point Germany will have six points and will know for sure they are advancing. They will probably rest some people, and slow the pace to save their energy for the non group games.

The only reason Germany would want to really bury us is if 1) we beat Portugal, or 2) they lose to Ghana. The first is unlikely, but possible, the second would probably lead to the fall of the German coalition government. Mass hysteria would spread through out the country, and they would invade France out of muscle memory alone.

• Upvote 3

I've been far too engaged in this fantastic cup so far to really sum up my thoughts on the US match until now.

First off...its a fantastic victory and an oh so vital three points. We're in a very strong position in one of the hardest groups in the tournament and that's all anyone could've hoped for at this point.

Now...that said...there are many, many concerns moving forward.

Michael Bradley had quite possibly his worst game in an American shirt. He was certainly the focal point of the Ghana defensive press...he was given very little time on the ball, but even when he had it his passing was quite poor. Perhaps he was amped up...perhaps too much is being asked of him (while he was the furthest forward in the midfield diamond, he was frequently going deep to try and start attacks as well). He has to be better and I think he will.

The U.S. lack of possession is almost 100% the result of the U.S. lack of Jozy Altidore. He is (was?) the only U.S. forward who is physical enough to play with his back to goal and hold up play...without him, there is very little in the way of an outlet from the back so pressure was heaped on the midfield to try and work the ball up the field...and as has been pointed out the key to such work, Michael Bradley, had a poor night. If Jozy is done for the cup...there will have to be some significant tactical changes made to accommodate a different skill set at forward.

I pray the fullbacks got their nerves out in the first match. Both Beasley and Johnson were beyond shaky...Johnson got forward well, but his defending (especially on their goal) was lacking. Beasley was down right bad...Christian Atsu is a very fine young talent, but by no means of the level that should cause your LB to fall numerous times.

Positives...Tim Howard was great...Jermain Jones was everywhere...and John Anthony Brooks' goal may over-shadow the really solid work he did at the back when brought on.

Portugal, even with the best player in the world, are not a great side. Potentially without Ronaldo...and certainly without Pepe and Fabio Coentrao...this is a very pedestrian team. Like, way worse than Ghana.

• Upvote 1

Portugal, even with the best player in the world, are not a great side. Potentially without Ronaldo...and certainly without Pepe and Fabio Coentrao...this is a very pedestrian team. Like, way worse than Ghana.

I think of them as about as good as the Ghana team that played us, which for some reason did not start some of its stars (Essien, Boateng).

ETA: I work with a guy from Ghana. His opinion is that they both were left out for the same reason Landon was off the USMNT. "I'm a star and don't need to toe your line syndrome"

Edited by Cerebus

Positives...Tim Howard was great...Jermain Jones was everywhere...and John Anthony Brooks' goal may over-shadow the really solid work he did at the back when brought on.

While not really a goal scorer…if Portugal leaves Jones as open as Ghana did dudes bound to get one.

I think of them as about as good as the Ghana team that played us, which for some reason did not start some of its stars (Essien, Boateng).

ETA: I work with a guy from Ghana. His opinion is that they both were left out for the same reason Landon was off the USMNT. "I'm a star and don't need to toe your line syndrome"

First off...no way. If Portugal lines up without Ronaldo, Pepe, Coentrao and even Hugo Almeida who left early with an injury, that team footballing, not to mention confidence, wise is far worse than Ghana. An old and out of form Nani becomes their biggest threat. That's bad. Really bad.

As for the Ghana line-up, Boateng for Jordan Ayew makes sense, but Essein is old and I wasn't at all surprised to see him sit.

On another note...watching Spain self-destruct (and as I type this watching Diego Costa suck so, so much) is quite pleasing to me.

I've been far too engaged in this fantastic cup so far to really sum up my thoughts on the US match until now.

First off...its a fantastic victory and an oh so vital three points. We're in a very strong position in one of the hardest groups in the tournament and that's all anyone could've hoped for at this point.

Now...that said...there are many, many concerns moving forward.

Michael Bradley had quite possibly his worst game in an American shirt. He was certainly the focal point of the Ghana defensive press...he was given very little time on the ball, but even when he had it his passing was quite poor. Perhaps he was amped up...perhaps too much is being asked of him (while he was the furthest forward in the midfield diamond, he was frequently going deep to try and start attacks as well). He has to be better and I think he will.

The U.S. lack of possession is almost 100% the result of the U.S. lack of Jozy Altidore. He is (was?) the only U.S. forward who is physical enough to play with his back to goal and hold up play...without him, there is very little in the way of an outlet from the back so pressure was heaped on the midfield to try and work the ball up the field...and as has been pointed out the key to such work, Michael Bradley, had a poor night. If Jozy is done for the cup...there will have to be some significant tactical changes made to accommodate a different skill set at forward.

I pray the fullbacks got their nerves out in the first match. Both Beasley and Johnson were beyond shaky...Johnson got forward well, but his defending (especially on their goal) was lacking. Beasley was down right bad...Christian Atsu is a very fine young talent, but by no means of the level that should cause your LB to fall numerous times.

I thought Brooks had some erratic clearances and clearances attempts. He didn't look composed and solid to me, but those are the moments I recall from his defensive work the most so I may have missed better moments of his in defense.

Cerebus is probably right, we didn't know how to handle the 1-2 swings of the early goal and Jozy's fall. I think by nature alone we will be better prepared for Portugal.

CBL's summation of Portugal minus its 3 players is the first downplay I've heard of them. Initially I thought they were very good. FIFA ranking had them top 5 with Germany.

Then Germany humiliated them. Maybe Portugal is just not poised for much this year. I haven't looked at any of their 2014 results outside of World Cup play.